Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ika 23 ng Enero 2009: Of Builders and Makers


Today, I have to acknowledge the work of my new batch of workers. This is long overdue. Work started almost three months ago. The first batch of workers with Ago as the foreman was replaced by this new batch of remodelers/finishing artists...... truly heaven sent. While I thank Ago et al for solving my drainage problems, the succeeding job orders proved to be problematic with their constant bickerings. Ago proved to be more of a story-teller than a worker, much less a leader to his men. I had to terminate his services sooner or later. I didn't have to anyway. I was contracting him for one last job, the installation of jars on my fence which my iron work contractor eventually took over(thank God!), he stopped reporting to work. He was asking me to give him a chance to bid for the iron work contract but I said I have been working with my iron work contractor for a long time. That must have disappointed him. Well, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

I should thank Ago though for bringing in my boy helper in the job. I got him because of Ago. But that's not all..... My boy helper would introduce me to a distant relative and their group whom he raves about as they did a renovation work before they worked on my home to the great satisfaction of the owner. Of course, it's all talk and there's always a chance that you will encounter another story teller. I decided to try my luck giving them first the tile installation of the garage floor, then the masonry work on the fence, and the installation of decorative stones on the posts.

What I immediately noticed about this new batch of workers is that they are silent workers......... a contrast to Ago's boisterous ways which can be a joy at times but proved to be detrimental in the long run. At work, I also observe this.......... it is the silent worker who delivers than the noisy scanty-brained airhead who goes on an ego-trip and makes all his accomplishments known to all. Indeed, silence is golden because it gets the work done.

Even President Obama acknowledged the men and women who toil silently to bring greatness to their nation in his inaugural address
..... In reaffirming the greatness of our nation, we understand that greatness is never a given. It must be earned. Our journey has never been one of shortcuts or settling for less. It has not been the path for the faint-hearted — for those who prefer leisure over work, or seek only the pleasures of riches and fame. Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things — some celebrated but more often men and women obscure in their labor, who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom.


We are into the final phase of the work when I noticed the what good craftsmen the workers are. Before contracting them for the painting job, I asked them to make a cabinet and shelves in the garage and seats for the dressers. I began to notice the work. I was happy with the garage work but that was not entirely their work and probably the iron work stands out compared to the garage floor. That is not saying they bungled the job because they really did a good job with that. Maybe, we hardly notice the ground we step on. Anyway, i wasn't expecting too much with the garage cabinet or shelves but they made a fine piece of furniture....

When they called in the painters who will execute the final touches (they are also part of this team), I was amazed how a piece of furniture could look like that..... stylish and elegant.......... and such fine craftmanship. As the days pass, I am getting more and more excited about the facade and all their work. I would probably miss them working on our home. It will be quite some time before I could call them again for some work..... but I know I found my men......

On my way to the office today as I look at the beauty that surrounds us, I would like to thank the builders and makers of the beautiful structures which we all enjoy as it makes life worth living....... I can never do their work........So let me acknowledge their great work that can only be done by hands that knows how to toil for beauty to emerge....... like those of our own Maker.....

PS: Naghuhulihan na naman kanina kaya kung saan saan na naman lumusot yun van na sinasakyan ko. Tong mga traffice aides na to talaga pag me topak, trying hard magpakitang gilas. Alam naman natin lahat ang gusto niyo....... Madalas nangyayari ganito tuwing malapit na pasukan, magpapasko, o yun malapit sa mahabang bakasyon. Malapit na nga pala ang semana santa......... kaya siguro naghahanda na kayo ng panhanda......

Tuwing mahuhuli ang sasakyan, siguradong huli na kaming mga nagtratrabaho sa pagpasok. Tong shuttle service namin, halos lahat me mga radyo kaya naititimbre na sa mga drivers kung me nanghuhuli. Iniiwasan ang mga ruta na me mga nanghuhuli. Hindi nga nahuli yun sinasakyan ko at iniba niya ang ruta..... Pero ayan nahuli naman ako sa pagpasok dahil sa kalokohang ito. Isa sa kaibigan ko dito, di na nakapasok at mahigit isang oras na daw silang naghihintay wala pa dumadating na sasakyan at nagtatago..... Tignan niyo ang abalang idinulot niyo.....

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites