Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Proud to be My Son's Mom

Last night, hubby brought my son to the mall to buy long-sleeves polo shirt to be worn for their graduation picture. I was having dinner when they came back. Too sleepy, he hardly said a word and went upstairs as soon as they arrived lugging two small shopping bags.......... hmmmmmmm.........hubby bought two shirts for him ...... probably so my son would wear something different on his graduation day.

This morning, I woke up a bit late and my son was done with breakfast when I came to the table. Hubby and I would have breakfast together. I asked him what shirt he bought for our son. I asked if he bought two. He told me just one. I asked about the other bag. He said that my son asked him to buy a pair of slippers for our new boy helper because he will have his birthday next month. I was wondering why my son has to buy a gift so early. Hubby continued his story...... My son noticed that our boy helper's slippers (actually hubby's old slippers) bore holes. I was touched by my son's kindness as hubby related this incident to me. I was not surprised at all though.

My son is a sweet child who cares about those around him and is sensitive to the needs of others whether this is another human being or a stray cat. In an earlier post, I related how he kept a kitten he thought was abandoned by its mother in a secured place without my knowledge. He knew I would scold him because he has asthma and the kitten's hair could trigger it. I discovered it one time as he was retrieving the cat and the worker would eventually squeal on him. I feigned anger but I was really happy inside being witness to his great capacity to love.

He would flinch at the images of victims of disasters or abuses and would ask questions that are hard to answer. He would cry when a pet dies. He would get emotional when he processes something that would be related to his being separated from his loved ones. I remember a time when he was about 9 or 10 and he related to me their topic on science on the cycle of life. He even showed me a picture of a boy in his book and the changes that occur as the boy reached puberty and manhood. I made nothing out of it as I thought he was just explaining it to me like I do not know it. But there was sadness in his voice as he told me that when he becomes a man, I would be old and maybe soon after I will die. He was on the verge on crying. My heart was crushed. I tried to pacify him without being untruthful saying that all of us will die eventually but that won't happen soon. I would tell this to hubby and we would both try to make him feel better. I would catch him in tears while in bed many times after that. Eventually, he would get over it...... maybe. I don't see him crying in bed anymore. I still reminisce that incident and think about my son's great love for us.

Shortly after our breakfast, Manong Bus Driver came and my son hurried out of the house with one shopping bag in hand. He handed his gift to our boy helper. I overheard our boy helper thanking him. There was a smile on our helper's face as he did his chores dutifully this morning. It was a small gift but I guess my son touched his heart. I know what kindness is when i see it. I see it in my beautiful son who gives it freely to those who cannot do something in return. Again, I would learn life's lesson from this young fellow.

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites