Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ika 29 ng Enero 2009: Prophet of Doom


While having breakfast this morning, I followed up what happened to his talk with their employees yesterday. Hubby remembered he needs to be early yesterday as he would talk to the people. He didn't say meeting but talk.... "About what?', I asked. The buy out and the eventual downsizing. So the people will be offered voluntary resignation. "and if they don't resign?', I further asked. Then, termination will be applied....... He said that they have not talked to those directly affected yet.... I asked what about him....... I said that they might just be asking you to do the dirty job for them and later the new management will also terminate your services. He said nothing.

I suddenly found myself in the shoes of these people about to lose their jobs? I lost a job once for failing to meet my sales target. What should I say? I am not a sales person...... Like the people in hubby's company, I wasn't exactly terminated. I was given a graceful exit. I even made beso beso with the president of the company before I left.... I didn't feel bad at all because a job was already waiting for me..... Besides, I was single, carefree, and ready to move on.......

Now, I am pondering again..... What if soon it will be hubby's turn..... The company could have hold off terminating them so as they could serve as their messenger in delivering the bad news to affected employees. Many of these people have families. They are probably at the prime of their lives...... and there are not many employment opportunities nowadays. What would happen to them?

It's unfortunate that we live in a culture where employment is the norm unlike our Chinese counterparts who are groomed to become entrepreneurs very early in life. Check out Chinese-owned shops and you see kids training on the ropes of the business. In our entire life, we were destined to work. Even our educational institutions are so designed to help students become employable. Lately, some top notch schools have revised their curriculum to make it more entrepreneurial. There is B.S. in Entrepreneurship in some schools now. But still changing the mindset is not only the problem. Engaging in entrepreneurial ventures would require capital..... Who has that nowadays? The risk of failing would always be present. Pinoys are risk-averse too. That is why we would happily be a slave to a boss to ensure that regular income comes every 15th and 30th than be scared out of our wits not knowing where our next meal would come from.

I failed to wish hubby good luck on a tough assignment. Well, I wish him luck because I wouldn't want to be in his shoes these days and deliver the kind of message he has for the people ....

PS: Naghihintay na ng resulta ng NMAT ang anak kong panganay. Kahapon pa tinatanong kung me natanggap kaming sulat sa bahay. Eh wala pa daw sabi ng mga kasama namin. Sana naman ay pumasa ang anak ko..... Ito ang katuparan ng mga pangarap namin.....

Kakarating lang ng resulta ng NMAT. 99 percentile rank ng anak ko. Pwede na magmedicine proper ang anak ko. Yehey!

2 comments:

yurkulmum said...

the norm if the company is being acquired, the acquiring co. will clean the house, duplicated jobs will be gone. Sad, but true.
congrats to your daughter and to you too!

brainchild said...

Thanks.... that's my silver lining in these dark days......

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites