Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ika 1 ng Enero 2009: A Toast to a Brand New Year

Welcome 2009, Goodbye 2008.......

It was a rainy New Year's Eve celebration which probably explains why there were lesser fireworks this year than in the previous years. Or could it be that people held off spending for the holiday in anticipation of difficult times ahead.....

We never spent a fortune for fireworks as I forbid so. For me, it's a waste of money not to mention its environmental disadvantages. But we do have just enough to welcome the new year. Last night, hubby prepared the fireworks he bought from his officemate. This are the more expensive Dragon brand. We use to just buy the local firecrackers made in Bulacan. That was bought without my knowledge. He was compromised into buying it out of friendship. He hasn't paid it and I am sure he exceeded our budget for fireworks. Anyway, I have to admit that for about 15 minutes, we all enjoyed the spectacle. Our boy assistant who was a bit drunk came back to assist hubby in lighting the fireworks.

At the stroke of midnight, I brought out the wine and I asked my helper to bring out a plate of black forest cake for our traditional toast with my next door neighbors, our friends. By the time I came out, my neighbors were already at the frontage of our home pouring wine they brought. We toast to a brand New Year just as the firecrackers have died down. It was a tradition that we share for so many years. Even without notice, we always toast as we usher in the new year except last year when they went to their province. But this year, they were here to keep the tradition alive.

We all woke up late than usual and had a brunch of dried fish and fried eggs and an assortment of our Media Noche's leftovers. Then, we prepared for our get together with my brothers and their family. We have not cooked by the time one of my brothers and his family arrived. I asked my brother to take care of grilling sausages, squids and eggplants. The crabs were ready. My helper chopped some veggies and green mangoes. Bagoong completed our very late luncheon feast. Soon, my youngest brother and his family arrived and we all had lunch. I think everyone enjoyed our New Year's fare.

This is another tradition my brothers and I keep alive. Our parents are gone and my sister is in the US. Being the eldest, I play host to our New Year's celebration. Hubby's family go to the house on Christmas since MIL lived with us.

That is how we celebrate our New Year. I guess it ain't over as we have the longest celebration of Christmas culminating on the feast of the Three Kings which falls on the first Sunday of January. After that, everything goes back to normal or shall I say to our crazy lives.

Today and always, I pray that the years will be kinder to one and all. A toast to a brand new year!

PS: Manigong Bagong Taon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year po. My prayerful wish for you and your family for another blessed year...

brainchild said...

Thanks Dfish. Wishing you and your family more blessings and bliss this year and beyond.....

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites