Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ika 22 ng Enero 2009: Traffic Jams and Acronyms

I came to office early. It really is good coming to work early because one is not harassed. It was actually surprising I got up early. I was so beat up last night from our Raon adventure which started on our way there. We got caught in terrible traffic at the intersection of Zobel Roxas turning right to SLEX. It took us 45 minutes. When we reached a corner street my brother decided to turn left to get out of that mess. He went straight and turned right until we reach Buendia and the SLEX intersection. We encountered some traffic but it was moving. When the stopped light changed, my brother dashed but I was surprised he went back to SLEX when I thought he would be going straight through Buendia or the street parallel to it. Exasperated, I sarcastically asked if he hadn't thought that the traffic along SLEX was reason we were caught in the earlier mess. I was scratching my head and he didn't respond. I wanted him to take U-turn but he continued with that route. I was so pissed. But since I was just asking a favor I couldn't complain or risk him leaving me.

It was past 5:00pm when we reached the shop where we would return the defective tank. We told the shopkeeper the problem. They said they can replace it but their warehouse located in another area closes at 5:00pm. They told us to just go back the following day. Still pissed, I told them I cannot keep on going back there as I am working. A lady tried to call their warehouse to get a replacement but the person she talked with was not willing to wait. To pacify me, the lady told me they would just have it delivered.

Not one who would waste opportunities, I asked my brother that we roam around for a while to look for bargains. I was looking for a wooden chopping board which the worker can convert into a stool I bought the last time we were there. Still running out of luck, we couldn't find the vendor. We walked till we reached Quinta Market and I decided to buy scrap ham at Excelente. On our way back to the car, we bought some native veggies which are a steal at P10 per bunch. I saw an interesting looking veggie and asked the vendor what it is. She said katuray. I asked how it is used and she said it is mixed with veggies. I turned to my brother for clarification. He said that he only heard about "anak ng katuray" and the vendor and I laughed. I decided not to buy the katuray. I also bought walis tingting recalling that my helper told me we don't have one anymore. I bought some fruits as well. In a jiffy, my P1000 vanished in thin air.

Near where the car is, my brother brought me to Globe Lumpia House. He said it is a 'must-try' there. We were there earlier but the shop ran out of lumpia..... I thought it must be good. I texted my eldest daughter from there telling her I'll fetch her from her dorm since she was coming home. I was actually nervous if I could still see my car whole upon our return from long sojourn. Thank God, it was still whole.

My brother drove me to my daughter's dorm and we parted ways. Along the way, my daughter and I would catch up on her studies and life in general. She told me they were winning on the volleyball game she was watching before I fetched her. I would recall the entries on her old phone which I am using now. Hubby and I are listed as ICE 2 and ICE 1 respectively. At first, I thought these were her Dad's numbers only when he texted me on this phone. I thought that my daughter must think that his Dad is cool giving him that code on her old phone. I was kinda wondering..........I later discovered that the other ICE is my number. So I had to ask her..... She told me that we are her ICE numbers.....Huh! Just what is ICE........ in case of emergency..........Ahh! So her Dad isn't really cool after all.

Going back to Manila is like revisiting my childhood. I grew up in Manila but have never really got assimilated with the place. I don't know how to go to Divisoria or find my way around Sta. Cruz or Quiapo. Perhaps, I felt I was too urbane for that place back then. I do not have the follies of my youth now. But then and now, I feel I don't belong to that place unlike my brothers who take to it like fish in the water.

While taking a bath this morning, I did it better than usual to remove all the dirt and grime from my adventure yesterday. And as I travel the road to the office, I fondly recall yesterday and perhaps go back to revisit the place of my past every now and then.

PS: Tuwing nag-uusap kaming magkapatid kahapon, di ko mapigilan sabihan siyang tanga tuwing nagkakamali ng diskarte. Ganon din siya sa kin. Di mahalaga kung sino matanda sa amin o kung talagang mali nga. Napansin ko ganito rin ako sa mga tunay at malalapit kong kaibigan. Kahit ano at nasaan na sila, parang bukambibig na namin magsabihan ng tanga. At di kami naiinsulto pag nasasabihan nito. Natural na natural lang na reaction. Minsan, gaganti ka lang at sasagot na "mas tanga ka no" o kaya "sino kaya eng-eng...."

Napanood ko sa isang segment ng Bubble Gang dati na yun pagsasabihan daw ng tanga ay indikasyon kung gaano kalapit yun pagkakaibigan niyo. Pag kaya mo sabihan ito ang isang tao, ibig sabihin close kayo..... siguro nga no.

1 comment:

yurkulmum said...

The "tanga" word is also normal in my family. It is not foreign at all lol.

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites