Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ika 1 ng Oktubre 2008

First day of the month...... a good start.... no work today because it's the end of Ramadan.

Last night's book launching turned up to be a mesmerizing and well-attended affair. After registering, we were welcomed by dancers in native costumes and ushered in to the ballroom. We got finger food and red wine and sat comfortably as beautiful ladies in yellow gowns playing violins entertained guests with soothing music. Guests were mingling but my friends and I were contented just watching and listening to the music. Soon, Teacher Nelia Sarcol, the author, came in with the guest of honor (?), former first lady, Madam Imelda Marcos. My Gosh, she is as glamorous as ever and hasn't aged a bit although she moves a bit slowly. She was in pink gown with floral design. People gravitated towards her as soon as she entered the room and made the affair her own. I am not exactly awed as I was one of the millions in Edsa who fought against the Marcos regime in 1986. My colleague friend though is a Marcos loyalist by her own admission. Whatever my political beliefs are had to be set aside and I had to give in to common courtesy expected of decent people.

The program started as the author and the special guest arrived. The dancers in native costumes performed a Bagobo dance according to my other friend who hails from Surigao.

Then, Teacher Nelia, gave her speech extolling the pearl for epitomizing life being a gem formed by nature's adversaries. After Teacher Nelia's speech, there were more entertainment by the ladies playing violins, a quartet, singers, and this all-male singers called Angulos,I think, which appears to be an El Divo mutation except that one of its members looks like he can actually be part of the F4 band. Don't get me wrong for being too critical. The band is good enough for listening and easy on the eyes. I am not just a fan of some famous artists copycats. As all this entertainment was going on, it was time for photo opps with the author and the ex-first lady. My colleague-friend who always brings her camera handed me her camera as she positioned herself. It was hard to take photos with so many people swarming the first lady. So I was practically clicking away at every opportunity. Then, my friend, told me to get near Madam Marcos and she would take my picture. Being "game", I did position myself beside the former first lady. I could sniff her sweet perfume. Surprise of all surprises, she put her arm on my shoulder. My friend was green with envy. I have never been this close to a former or present tenant of the Malacanang Palace even when one of these tenants stood as our wedding sponsor many years back. I am not revealing who for fear of my life from both leftist and rightist element hehehe. This tenant wasn't our highest official or married to the highest official at that time.

After the photo opps, it was book signing time. Of course, we bought the book. I bought the Legend of Pearl of the Orient for my son. While queuing, my keen and observant mind couldn't help but notice some other people. There is this middle-aged lady in line who kept on wiping Teacher Nelia's sweat with her hanky and I was reminded of the Nazareno and Nora Aunor. Gosh, why can't people just let things be as they are. I wonder if she will preserve that hanky for posterity or miraculous powers later. On our turn, my colleagues and I introduced ourselves to Teacher Nelia as faculty members of the extension campus of the school she owns. I requested her to dedicate the book to my son. After the book signing, people started to thin out and soon we would also go home.

With a good memory of last night's event, I am pondering what to do on a rainy Wednesday. I want to go out.... maybe we will later. Then again, it's a nice day to just curl up in bed and watch the rain through my window.......

PS: Nung isang araw sumakay ako ng bus sa Alabang papunta Makati papasok ng opisina. Pag abot ko ng bayad ko sa konduktor sabay sabi ng Buendia na binigkas ko ng bwen-di-ya, inulit ng konduktor ang destinasyon ko na binigkas niya ng bwen-dya. Maganda rin sana turuan sila pero sino ba ako sa kanila. Ilan na rin naman konduktor ang inabutan ko ng bayad na ganito rin ang pagbigkas sa Buendia.

Maraming taon na rin nakaraan na sa Maynila pa ako nakatira at tuwing pumupunta ako ako sa PGH o Philippine General Hospital o malapit sa lugar na yun, nangyayari na rin ang ganitong karanasan. Minsan nagbayad ako sa mamang tsuper ng jeepney at sinabi ko PGH na binigkas kong pi-ji-eych. Tanong sa kin ulit ng drayber saan. Inulit ko pi-ji-eych. "Saan?", ulit ng drayber. Isang pasahero na ang sumagot para sa akin. Pi-ji-etch sabi niya. "Ah", tugon ng driver at sinuklian na ako.

Isa pa ay ang apelyido ko na nagtatapos sa letrang z. Tuwing iniispel ko ito sa maraming tao na kailangan ang ispeling ng apelyido ko, binibigkas ko itong zee.... Madalas na hindi mawawari nung tao yun letra at kailangan na bigkasin ko itong zay at magkakaintindihan na kami.

Kaya hindi ko na kailangan pang itama si manong konduktor sa pagbigkas niya. malay natin, siya pala ang tama. Ang wika naman ay isang sistema ng letra at pagbigkas na ginagamit ng tao na nakatira sa isang lugar para magkaintindihan. Nabuo ito sa isang inpormal na paraan kagaya ng maraming bagay na kalalunan ay naging pormal na paraan para magkaunawaan ang mga tao. At yun ang mahalagang punto ng wika ang pagkakaunawaan. At dahil nagkakaintindihan naman kami ni manong konduktor at mamang drayber, eh di ayos lang di ba?

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites