Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Name Game

Thanks Mahalia for tagging me.... my first tag.

—START TAG—

OUR KID’S NAMES: List all of your kids’ names, or even just one. It’s up to you. Write down the story or the reason why you chose it. If you’re expecting or planning to have more kids and already have a name for them….list them down too…


How we got our kids name..... it wasn't very democratic process as I have those names in mind before our kids were conceived. Those are names I would have wanted for myself or for hubby. It's too late to name hubby though. So the next best thing is to name my kids with these names. First, there would be two names, not too long nor too short. The girls initials would be AC, my and hubby's initials. My son, our youngest, initials are AJ. A is a good letter being the first alphabet. I was thinking maybe they would get ahead in life.

I thought looking up their meaning would add a nice touch. I actually read up on baby's name during our baby-making days but have forgotten the meaning of my chosen names over the years. It is good to be reacquianted with these names and see how my kids are living up to their names. My source is 20,000+ Names from Around the World.

Anna Claudine for our first born. Anna meaning "favor" or "grace" is a definite choice as it is associated with beautiful women. Claudine is feminine diminutive form of French unisex Claude meaning "little lame one". Far from lame, my daughter is one tough cookie but might just turn out to be the smallest in our brood. I love the name Anna as many of the female leads in a good movie is named as such. I decided my daughter will have this name when I saw the Hilda Koronel - Christopher de Leon starrer "Umaga na Naman". Apo has a song titled "Anna" which I love. Hubby did not object to this name. I mean there was general agreement in the choice of this name.

Angelique Celina for our middle child. Angelique is the French form of Angelica meaning "angelic". Celina is nickname for Polish Marcelina meaning "warlike". I have long decided on the name Celina and the nickname "Ina" in this case. I find that name intriguing and there is that nagging voice inside telling me to name my daughter Celina. I guess that forced me to have another daughter :) Again there was general agreement in choosing this name except for some indecision on whether it will be Angeli or Angelique to complete the two-name ensemble. My second daughter, a born leader, is turning out to be an angelic warrior. I would not be surprised if she would be fighting for worthy causes later.

Alec Julio for our youngest and only son. Alec is English nickname for Alexander which means "defender of mankind". Julio is Portuguese and Spanish form of Roman Julius, possibly meaning "soft-bearded," a symbolic reference to "youth." Now. naming our only son and youngest child posed challenges. There were conflicting views. This did not follow the pattern AC but for some reason I, I mean we, couldn't find a name starting with C that we like for our son. Well, hubby's other initial is J. So we are still within the norm. I have always loved the name Julio. Probably because I like the late Jay Ilagan whose real name is Julio. Jay was also the real-life partner of Hilda Koronel. For some reasons, the Julios I met are all good-looking. So that would be my son's name I thought. There's a bit of a problem. Hubby did not seem to like my choice and was leaning towards the other choices such as Julian or Jules. Alec was not so problematic because we both like it. I have to credit Alec Baldwin for this name choice. After so much haggling, we name our son Alec Julio. So your guess is right as to who won in the naming game...... As for my son, he seemed to be destined to be the protector of the underdog as his concern for stray animals in his young age would bear.

Nothing follows...... I hope not :)

I am tagging.....

Psyche Analyzed

Dfish

Borneo Tips

badzhebra

livelife365

Giselle of Work Love Play

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're right, every Julio I knew were kinda cute. I was about to date one in my earlier days but I think he's too cute for me, I looked like a executive assistant when I was with him. I liked your names, they're very international.

brainchild said...

Thanks Mahalia. Your kids' names are uncommon and appears to be a mix of Pinoy and American names. Ang galing.

I'm glad you agree with me about Julio. I know my son will keep the tradition. So you nearly dated one pala ha..... hubby's other name pala is Juan which is definitely out of our choices hahaha

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites