Saturday, July 19, 2008

To Be 50 in this Wonderful World

Tonight, hubby, my middle daughter, and I attended the 50th birthday celebration of my neighbor, Captain Marlon Glarino, held at a cozy family diner in a nearby village. His wife told me that it was a surprise birthday party they had planned for him when she handed me the invitation. It was to be quite an ordeal to put up with the preparations and some of their friends nearly spilling the beans.

We arrived at the venue just in time. True enough in keeping with the secrecy of the event, the place was dark that we almost missed it if not for the celebrant's daughter who was waiting outside. Soon the celebrant came in, shocked but composed, to see his family, friends, neighbors, colleagues joining him on this special day. The party revealed a lot of things.

For one, I am certain now that he is older than me by............ never mind. Suffice it to say that in a few years I would be a golden girl myself.

Many of the invitees were actually part of the celebration itself. The program was casual but unforeseen glitches were quickly filled in by willing family members and friends providing impromptu entertainment. Songs and dances by immediate families delighted not only the celebrant but the other guests.

His children, Abby, Ako, Nikko, and Camille, were full of love for this jolly man whose deep voice fills an entire house. My friend, Mae, always the devoted wife, was pretty in her cocktail dress tonight for the love of her life is turning another leaf. His in-laws, Mamang and Papang who complete their household, had to push back their bedtime to be in this happy occassion.

His sisters, brothers, niece, nephews, grandnephews, grandnieces flew in from Bacolod and elsewhere. Neighbors had no problem joining them and some were part of the event management committee. Colleagues were there for him as well. Marlon was a picture of a man with his heart hanging out sometimes shedding tears of joy seeing his loved ones and friends on this special day.

His family prepared well. Young and old, they performed with gusto for the man they love. I was an engaged spectator lost in my thoughts as I watched his family and some friends danced and sing for him, paise him for being a great person to those he love.

I was thinking as I see his children stand by him all these years when they are all grown up, what a good father this man is. I have seen these kids grow right before my eyes. With the kind of society we have, their family is a rarity. Marlon and Mae have done a good job. Carry on, Captain and Co-captain.

This love extends to his brothers and sisters and their families. I couldn't help but notice how closely knit their family is to this day when siblings fight over properties and power. Some killing each other for greed. His family is truly refreshing as they demonstrate a sweet and sincere love only demonstrated by siblings raised in a loving home.

Our families have been intertwined for the past 16 or so years. We saw each other through sunny days and the storms of life. What I like about them is that they care for us in a non-intrusive way and respect our privacy. We hardly talk to each other because of so many preoccupations. Yet, we manage to stay tuned to each other. New Year's Day, the eve particularly, has been a tradition as our families toast to a brand new year every year since I can recall. We missed them last year as they had to spend the holiday in Bacolod. New Year's eve was not the same without our neighbors. Our new year's toast is exclusive only to the Glarinos.

I remember too well how their family welcomed us into their home one New Year's eve two years back. We just moved back into our home a few days before Christmas after we vacated it to be reconstructed. Our stuff were all over the place as construction was still ongoing. For more than a week, we had to eat at the mall daily. My children were complaining as they miss home cooking. Christmas time, we had noche buena at Jollibee, being the only open resto. It really, really felt so weird...... So on that New Year's eve, we were ready to retire once the last of the firecrackers was heard. Then, they were calling us back to join them in their media noche. We were embarassed but they were too gracious. For the first time that holiday season, I, maybe we, felt the spirit of Christmas in the home of our neighbor.

In many instances, the celebrant and his family would give real meaning to the word 'neighbor'. They are there when you need them. I recall two experiences on how Marlon had been virtually our knight in shining armor.

In one devastating typhoon, the cotton tree at the side of our house split and one half was swaying ferociously, threatening to fall on our home and the electric cables. Hubby was not home. I called for help. The electric utility people could not immediately come to the rescue. My son was asking if rescue was coming. It did..... in Marlon and his son, Ako. He sent his son up the tree to tie it together. He was at the bottom all wet taking charge of the situation without regard for their own safety. They got us safe through a dark stormy night.

There was a time when the risk was not as great as it would simply be to deal with a husband's rage. After bringing hubby to airport at dawn, I took the wheel. I didn't realize that the light was on and forgot it as I parked the car outside our garage as the sun had risen. I left for office shortly. By nighttime, my daughter informed me that the car headlights were on,,,,,drats, I could see hubby's ears spewing smoke. I told her to turn it off. When I arrived, I tried to start the car but the battery was drained. I needed a car the following day. Hubby's car has automatic transmission and I parked it right in front of the other car. My luck perhaps that I couldn't use any of these cars. Marlon and Ako happened to pass by as they were driving home and I was checking out the car a little bit panicky. Of course, he was my only hope and I had to ask for help. He was visibly tired. He asked and gave instructions to Ako on what to do but was back minutes later to oversee the work. We didn't have proper equipment so he suggested getting a car mechanic to work on it. He sent Ako to get the mechanic. The mechanic expectedly was able to make the battery work. Again, my neighbor saved me from the perils of a raging husband who does not have any idea up to now that his battery got drained then. When hubby inquired about his radio getting reset once he got back, I pretended not to hear him (PS: Tito Marlon, I might need you again).

From the man himself, he is the ever reliable neighbor to everyone in the community. He is our emcee for our programs. He can be a singer or maybe even a dancer if the need arises. He couldn't stop singing, though, when given the mike. So please cut off the videoke from the outlet. He is our lecter-commentator, bible bearer, a potential altar boy for our Sunday masses. He is the ambulance for emergencies. He is your all-around and ever reliable neighbor who will be there for you when you need him. Our small community will not be complete without him.

When the floor was given to him for his birthday message, I was not surprise at all when he said that on the day of his birthday which is July 12, he and his crew were helping flood victims in Iloilo get on with their lives. I guess it won't be him if he did not do that.

At some point in the party, he sang with his brothers.....


I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you................

..........The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shaking hands saying "How do you do."
Thay really say: "I love you!"

......I hear babies crying I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
...........Yes, I think to myself:
"What a wonderful world!"

I think God blest me to have a neighbor like them. And as the song goes...... "What a wonderful world". It truly is in the small community we call home.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GOLDEN BOY!

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites