Monday, July 7, 2008

Ika 8 ng Hulyo 2008

Since I would have classes later today, I left the house earlier than usual. I still can't make it to my target time of 5:45am. There's just too many chores to do prior to going to work. And my pups are just too adorable....... I couldn't leave without petting them. I used to be able to leave for work at 5:30am when I was teaching in my old school as my part-time job while at the same time accompanying my eldest daughter on her very early morning trip to reach Ateneo for her summer camp.

I took the red van at the shuttle service terminal. I got a choice seat with enough access to the aircon vent. This van and its driver figured in my life late last year. I was riding this van on my way home from work when a SUV driven by an intoxicated lawyer bumped us from behind as a passenger was getting off at the Alabang Town Center. I felt my right arm and back hit the body and back seat of the van but didn't quite dawn on me due to the suddenness of the incident. The other passengers were also jolted. Two or three passengers also had minor injuries. The driver's immediate concern was the van and didn't bother asking us if anybody was injured. He told us that it would take time to settle the matter. So we should just go? I asked if he could not arrange for another vehicle to bring us home. He called another driver, a member of their cooperative, who picked us up. Inside the vehicle, the injured passengers told this other driver that we hit some body parts against our seats or vehicle body. He was kind enough to bring us to the Alabang Medical Center. Nobody wanted to get off as we thought the injuries were superficial. Besides, it seemed he would just leave us there. I told him to just give our names and addresses for inclusion in the police report. We went home and made nothing of it. When I was having dinner that night, I noticed swelling on my wrist. That was Friday night.

The following day, there are some pain in my arm. Nobody from the shuttle service cooperative called or visited me or the other injured passengers I would assume, the entire weekend. The owners and drivers mostly live within the vicinity. Monday came and still nothing. My arm felt uncomfortable. Tuesday came and I once again rode the red van with the same driver on my way to work. I am usually the last passenger to get off. I asked him what transpired after the accident and told him I was one of the injured passengers. He said it's been settled and the bumping party would take care of the repair of the van. I asked, "What about us?". He told me he'd inform the owner. Still, the following day no communication from the owner. I decided to write the owner copy furnished the association on how they would treat injured passengers. The owner came the following day at the terminal. He assured me that the lawyer would take care of the medical bills of injured passengers. I told him I am getting an x-ray of my arm and back in the weekend.

After I sought medical attention, I met the owner and presented the x-ray and prescription drug given by the doctor. He asked for a receipt. I fumed. Not that it's bad but the nerve of him to ask for a receipt when they conveniently dispensed with us in their settlement agreement. Like we're collateral damage who happened to ride in his van. I threatened to report him and their association to regulatory bodies. We ended up on a sour note. I texted their president, who is a casual friend, and gave the same threat. Since they are a highly regulated business, they hate the kind of publicity my complaint would bring them. The president assured me that he would settle the matter with the owner of the van. He did. And by the evening of Sunday, the owner was back with my prescription medicines and ready to pay my initial bill.

The owner and myself became initially enemies and friends later as we were negotiating with the offending lawyer to pay the rest of my medical bill. My arm was put in a cast for sometime and had to undergo physical therapy for months. The owner learned his lesson on not having reported the accident to the police. He was caught in the middle between me and the lawyer who initially refused to pay probably thinking that the the owner and I were putting one over him. It would have been easy if this was reported to the police because the insurance company could have taken cared of expenses incurred by injured passengers. On hindsight, that lawyer didn't want the police report because he was DUI and he will be liable without insurance coverage. He outsmarted the owner.

Anyway, I reached my destination. I asked Mr. Red Van Driver if he was headed in the direction of my office. It was early and most of the vans usually pass by my office. He very snobbishly said he wasn't going my direction. I got off at my usual get-off point. BTW, I got him suspended because of the accident. In my book, he is eternally suspended for failing to recognize what is essential.

"One of the burden of success is to be unpopular when necessary." This is the quote that greeted me when I flipped my desk calendar to today's date.......... my point exactly.

PS: Kahapon pag uwi ko, nakasakay ako sa bus, sa me aisle ang pwesto ko. Habang nanonood ako ng balita, yun conduktor na naniningil ng pamasahe pag tapat sa upuan ko, nasagi ng perang hawak hawak niya ang ilong ko. Tinignan ko siya ng masama at sinabing ilayo yun pera. Nagsorry naman kaya pinabayaan ko na. Habang nangongolekta pa siya sa ibang pasahero, ilang beses na dumaan sa tabi ko na nasagi ako sa tagiliran. Kainis walang magawa sa hayupak na conduktor na to. Naghahanap buhay lang naman siya. Eh para kasing sardinas ang bus. Maya maya natamaan nman ako ng bag na me laman yatang hollow blocks sa me braso ng isang babaeng bumaba ng sasakyan. Sarap batukan pero di nman sinasadya talaga. Hay di ko na matiis. Tinawagan ko ang asawa ko para alamin kung nasan na siya. Tamang tama na malapit na rin siya sa bababaan ko. Nagpasundo na lang ako sa Southmall. Pagbaba ko naman, isang bata naman ang kumalabit sa kin at naghihingi ng pera. Tama na, sobra na to.

1 comment:

silent storm said...

Still maddeningly "bumpy?!?" lol Ain't it just "fab" what rubbish awaits us every single friggin' day?!?

ahh.. but they say that's what makes life interesting... they must be masochists! hehehe

P.S.
I'm interested in yer "shoutout." Lem'me know when it's done and I'll do the same. :)

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites