Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Globalization in our Midst

After Diana, here comes Carla Bruni Sarkozy, the new first lady of France. I vividly remember that widely circulated email on Dina and her Egyptian boyfriend chased to death by paparazzis in a French tunnel. With its tragic end, how the world seem so small is not lost to the readers.

A recent article for Philippine Star celebrity news reads......."France first lady sings in English and dreams in Italian, and the president's roots reach to Hungary and Greece. Nicolas Sarcozy and Carla Bruni-Sarcozy could be a metaphor for harmonious, borderless Europe. The real Europe is a cacophonous and conflicted place, though, as the Sarcozys will soon discover. Today, they become the continent's public face..........." President Sarcozy used to be a divorcee who was dating then controversial Carla Bruni while about to assume his office. He married Carla right in time for his inauguration.

Have you wondered why the today's youths are very much alike wherever you go..... New York, Paris, Tokyo, Shanghai, Manila......... convenience-seeking, multitasking, techie, sleep-deprived kids with all sorts of gadgets attached to every conceivable openings in their bodies on their way to school or work. I quote my college daughter's friend's article published in PDI Youngblood, "I found myself in a world that revolved around blogging, iPods, angst, David Cook, Facebook, CGI-laden movies, celebrity and political scandals, and major television stations slugging it out for ratings............. I ended up spending more time with my laptop than with people". It painted quite a picture.

I am caught between the generation of baby boomers and the gen x, right smacked in the middle.....must explain my many conflicting views in life. I had lived and shared stories with true blues baby boomers who experienced a world war and the ensuing depression. I am living and working with gen x and y kids exposed to the rapid and often dizzying pace of technological advancements. I am too modern for my senior citizen relatives yet too naive for my techie kids and co-workers. I used to be the new girl at the office. I must be one of institutions already..... not a very flattering distinction if you ask me. I try to cope up. My generation happens to be more open to changes as we attempt not only to bridge but close the gap. We are the generation that speak our minds. In so doing, we change as the world changes. Our wealth of experience have well-prepared us for the shape of things to come.

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites