Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ika 17 ng Hulyo 2008

I had to spend a few minutes regaining my composure before I left home for work. Rachel Ray was on while I was preparing for work and I found myself in tears in one of its segment. I have always prided myself into thinking that I am not melancholic and will not cry over corny, mindless TV dramas or soap operas. I have always been known as a no-nonsense "astig" or a toughie. I was able to hold the tears in my younger age. But lately, I don't know what has been eating me up that I cry even over romantic comedies.

What made me cry today is a guy named Joey who took the unimaginable choice of taking care of the three children of his twin sister gone wrong whose kids were taken by social services and were about to be put in a foster home. He fought a bitter custody battle when he was barely out of his teens and got the kids when he was 20. He is 24 now and a medical intern with hardly enough money to keep his brood of three children live on a day-to-day basis and support his studies. What he gained is the understanding and support of three bestfriends who have been helping him rear these children. Most importantly, he earned the unconditional love of the children who look to him not as their uncle but their father. I couldn't help but cry watching as one of the children cried as he was leaving for work leaving them to the care of his friend. He hugged the child like a good dad would do to a beloved son.

I didn't mind that I spent some extra minutes watching a great person and the lovable people around him. I didn't mind that I cried over this real life drama. I didn't mind that I have a runny nose leaving my home. I mind that many of our young ones today have been wasting their time, their lives with their meaningless existence. I mind how obsessed we have become with material acquisition that we tend to overlook what matters like family and friends. I dread the world that my children will inherit with our selfish ways and motives. I am full of hope that they will be able to rise above their limitations to help make ours a better world.

I have always admired people who lived life with a purpose. These people think beyond themselves and selflessly give love in the most ordinary way. As Joey said " ..........I still don't believe that I'm doing anything big. I'm doing what I have to do for my family." Rachel together with pal, Valerie Bertinelli, the 70s girl next door star who was once married to rocker Eddie Van Halen, played virtual fairy godmother to Joey. He deserves all these gifts. But I think all these gifts pale in comparison to the priceless gift of untarnished and unrelenting love he gets from his children.

Today, I didn't mind being late for work because I was reacquianted with what matters most in life.

PS: Matagal tagal na rin akong commuter at maraming klaseng drivers na rin akong nasakyan. Mapapansin natin na madalas di marunong umintindi ng batas trapiko ang mga pampublikong drivers. Kaya madalas na di nila sinusunod ang mga batas trapiko. Karamihan sa mga ito ay natutong magmaneho sa tulong ng tatay o kaibigan nila na isa ring driver.

Me mga pagkakataong na nakasakay ako sa mga drivers na bihasa sa pagcut sa mga kapwa drivers at pagsingit singit sa mga sasakyan na maraanan na parang me hinahabol na magnanakaw. Minsan nasa harap ako na sakay ng isang FX na ang driver ay ganito magmaneho. Sa istilo pa ng pagmamaneho niya ay parang di siya masyadong natrain ng tatay niya. Kaya pagsingit niya ay napapapreno din ako sa pwesto ko habang nakikita ko ang mga bus at jeep na halos sumalpok sa kanyang sasakyan.

Minsan din bigla na lang ihihinto ang sasakyan nila kahit saan para sumagot sa tawag ng kalikasan. Yun nasakyan kong tricycle kanina, bigla na lang huminto ng walang sabi sabi at nawala ang driver. Nagtago sa likod ng isang nakaparadang sasakyan at yun dun ibinuhos ang kanyang saloobin. Marami ring jeepney drivers na ganyan. Minsan di mo rin masisi. Kokonti lang kasi ang mga pampublikong palikuran at me mga lugar na wala pa.

Ang mga bus nman ay parang mga kabayong pangarera sa kahabaan ng ating mga highway. Pag kuha o pagrenew ng driver's license, me drug test na isinasagawa. Naiisip ko pano kaya nalulusutan ito ng ibang pampublikong drivers. Minsan mamula mula pa ang mata habang nagmamaneho.

Hay naku, kelan kaya tayo madidisiplina sa ating mga kalye.

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites