Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ika 20 ng Nobyembre 2008: Great Find!

Today is the last of the seminars I am attending this week and I should just enjoy it thinking that I am going back to the kingdom, I mean office next week..... sigh..... just when I was enjoying, I mean increasing my knowledge and honing my skills. It should end so soon, it's a two day training so I would still be there tomorrow.

It is a training on Project Monitoring and Evaluation (PME). I think I possess enough knowledge on it but I always welcome new learning. I have an insatiable need to learn new things. If one really wants to have expertise, there is not enough means to further knowledge. It is said that losing the desire to learn is the death of knowledge. One is also never too old to learn.

When I entered the room, the training has started. The speaker looked familiar. I checked the program and saw her name and affiliation. It turned out she is the Vice President and Dean of the Graduate School of San Beda College where I taught before. I checked out the material as she was discussing it. The more she spoke, the more I realized that I know most of the stuff she was talking about. However, I was already there and couldn't turn back.... I have been allocated a training budget for this seminar and if I don't attend, I would have to pay for it. I'd like to stress this is not my original choice but since the year was ending and the training calendar will close by yearend, there was no other choice but put those who weren't able to attend their seminars in the remaining programs. I was wondering why our HR people wouldn't even look at the profile of the staff. Anyway, I should be grateful I was given this training.

Later in the seminar, there were some things presented which made me skeptical about the ability of our speaker. I am sure she has impressive credentials given her position and the title Dr. which is attached to her name. When I could no longer bear it, I asked a question and I seemed to get her cornered, she was evasive and bluffed her way. I tried hard to be polite. Another guy asked questions and I was cringing at her answers which gave away her lack of knowledge on the subject matter. She said that she once hired a teacher who was not qualified for the job and she told the teacher she should not apply for a job that she is not qualified to undertake. My question is why hire the teacher in the first place..... Are they not able to screen who among the applicants are qualified? Our speaker said that one should not undertake a task he/she is not qualified to do.... and there she was. I find her to be an apologist who claimed she was using the simplistic method in teaching us M&E when actually she is clueless about what she was discussing.

When lunchbreak came, I approached her and introduced myself. She remembered me..... there were the usual pleasantries and by the end of our chat she was asking for my cv .... I wasn't sure about her sincerity but I was thinking what!!!! I was one of the professors they let go for speaking out what we thought the college lacked before a board of appraisers of the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU). Once accredited, a school, college, or university would have certain freedoms such as opening a course without getting approval from the CHED. It's a form of deregulation for academic institutions which would be qualified under their standards. The administrators thought we did them in.... They said we can be honest and when we said our observations, they hated our guts..... queer bunch of people. They should just have told us to lie or else we lose our jobs. At least we know what the consequences of our actions were.

After lunch, the lecture continued. Still, more questions from me and others came. She told us her stories of how she helped her students became entrepreneurs instead. That's one thing about her, she loves to talk about the good things she has done for others. Once or twice, that's ok but for the entire seminar, that is just self-glorification. When it was clear she was cornered, she tried to get the heat off by conducting the workshop. During the workshop which she had no idea how to handle, she was giving instructions that should be given to undergraduates, not to professionals with enough experience and who want to apply the learning in a work setting. OMG, how should we dismiss an academician with no knowledge of the corporate setting and the macro environment? She is clearly unfit for this job. As when I helped PAASCU appraisers evaluate the capability of our school to exercise certain freedom, I will give her what is due her comes evaluation time tomorrow.

I was looking forward to the end of the day, not only because I want to end my aggravation but more importantly the tyangge at the DBP starts today. This is the tyangge I was looking forward to visit. Last year, even if I was so busy with my JPEPA work, I managed to squeeze in a visit and bought several nice things in there. I and two friends who attended the seminar went to the tyangge... one friend decided not to go with us due to a previous appointment.

The way I savor my tyangge adventure is to first do a thorough hunting and not immediately buy the first things that I fancy. This year I have my mind set on the stuff I would buy. I was trying not to be excited and splurge aimlessly... I could end up with miscellaneous and not buy what I really want. I couldn't carry so much and I might exceed my budget. I saw the shop where I bought some burners and scents last year. I love the scents so much and they were quite a steal at P25 per bottle of maybe 20ml. This year the price is P50 but I haggled with the shop owner and got it for P35. I told her to reserve all the available bottles of cranberry apple which really smell good. I told her I would go around first and will come back. I bought some food stuff. My other friend would leave as she has a shuttle service to catch. I went around another time, more slowly this time as I couldn't find the nice shops I found last year.....until I saw the maker of the antique angels I bought last year. Eureka! I found my oasis.....

I actually wanted a replacement for the angels because one of the angels fell and broke. I painstakingly glued it together but it does not look as nice as before. Then, I saw this nativity set which the owner said costs P1800. I bargained with the her to give it to me for P1200. We compromised on P1500. She said they sell it at the exporters' bazaar for more than P4,000. She also has this set of three angels made of resins with a wooden finish selling for P600 and I bought that too. Then looking at my baggage, 2 big bags, I had to stop. I was taking a jeepney to go to my shuttle service. The bags were heavy but I was happy with my find. Never mind that I had to occupy the whole floor of the jeepney I rode going to the terminal, impeded flow of blood in my hands; paid for two seats in the van and rode a tricycle going home...... I think I found a very good replacement for the lost Nativity Set. Like any woman, shopping proved therapeutic for this weary soul today........

PS: Habang nasa van, tinext ko ang anak kong panganay para kumustahin kung magaling na. Mabuti at magaling na. Mahirap lang katext ang anak kong ito at maikli lang sumagot. Pinipilit ko magkaroon ng mahaba-habang usapan pero panay yup lang yata ang natanggap kong text. Hayaan na nga.... basta magaling na siya.... ok na yun...

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites