Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ika 19 ng Nobyembre 2008: Social Artistry

Today I am attending the second of my series of seminars this week. Like yesterday, I was off to Ayala Museum which is the venue of our seminar called social artistry. What got me interested in trying out this seminar was I didn't know what it was all about. No harm in trying..... What's the worst that could happen? I'll be bored to death I'd fall asleep.... but wait that could be a plus. I lack sleep and dozing off in a cool training room isn't such a bad idea..... hmmmmmmm. But really, sleeping in a seminar was far from my mind when I chose this seminar. Surely, I'd like some time off from my cubicle and the rest of us must have felt the same thing.

I am glad our mafia, I mean HR people are coming up with innovative human resource development programs for the staff. When I teach, I always inculcate in the minds of my students who would be future entrepreneurs the importance of human resources. HR is the most important resource of any organization. Business owners and managers should bear that in mind. Industrial revolution which encourage some form of slavery has been long dead. Occupational therapists and psychologists are stressing the importance of work-life balance in improving the quality of life.

The gang, I mean HR in our office must have realized this fact and their attempt at making our lives interesting by deviating from our usual routines is most welcome. It used to be just the boring and usual stuff we all attend.... values formation which never sinks in; effective business presentation and yet we couldn't speak in a meeting, much less in public; technical writing and some of us couldn't even write a decent letter or memo; 5S is passe; project development is so so...... Social artistry sounds interesting enough there were about 30 of us who attended the seminar. There were three segments........ dance, theater, and film. I am shy when it comes to performing and I chose film when I registered. I was told that I will be bumped off because there should only be eight participants in the film segment. The dance is already filled up. Only theater which I dread the most can still accommodate participants. I insisted on being enlisted in film although I was informed that I can only be accommodated if someone backs out.

The seminar already started when I went inside the venue. I laid down my bag and quickly joined the rest in making rhythmic moves as we danced to chants and what sounds like tribal music. The music of Grace Nono, a friend of our resource person, was used in some moves.I like the stretching but I don't like lying on the floor because I have aversion to surfaces walked on by dirty footwear. I faked some of the floor exercises. BTW, the lady instructor, who is also a performer, is a tiny piece of humanity, really, really thin.

The next segment was theater and our resource person teaches actors and performers. He taught us how to use movements and voice in making the audience feel our acting. He was an interesting mentor although some of his activities made us look crazy. There was general audience participation but sometimes we can get confused on what we were attempting to do. Some of the exercises include connecting words to make a story, different pacing of sentences, different intonation in saying a thing you want to convey. We also had stretching exercise because the speaker came in from the cold.

A generous lunch was served to us after the second segment. Our full stomach proved detrimental in keeping up with the speaker on film, the last segment. He was a young artist who has some good points to say on the use of photography and film as a work of art. There are other forms: architecture, sculpture, painting, others but he said some that struck me...... photography and film in a sense being related to this medium is the only art form which evokes emotions. He has some interesting and useful pointers in taking photos but I couldn't keep my eyes open. Probably, half of the participants were in dreamland judging from the ebb and flow of the heads......

We were divided into three groups after this last segment. I was actually allowed to join the film group but I need a camera which I did not bring. I volunteered to be placed in theater. With a smaller group in the workshop, everyone participated. The resource person seemed to be reinvigorated after lunch that he wanted us to do a 10-part performance. At the end, we were getting confused in what we need to do but complied. The latter portion was not practiced to perfection.

We were then to perform in front of the other groups. The presentation started with film in the form of making a story out of the photographs taken. Then, it was our turn. I guess we had a lively presentation which kept the audience in stitches. The dance group was the finale number. We actually went beyond the 5:00pm schedule but it was an enjoyable activity we didn't mind. Going home, my friends wanted me to join them in exploring Greenbelt V which I have not seen. Unfortunately, I can't as I have an errand to do...... buy termite treatment so that the workers can apply it before they close the hole they dug. From the museum, I pass the walkway leading to Landmark and then Glorietta. There was something going on at the activity area and I saw on the big screen that Michael Johns, an AI finalist and my favorite from this year's contestant, will have a concert. I wanted to watch and retracted my steps but the call of duty was stronger. I rode a van at the terminal, went through a congested highway, passed by the mall and bought the stuff, and finally went home.

I am tired..... tomorrow I'll be attending a training program on project monitoring and evaluation, not my original choice. Effective business presentation skills was my original choice which I couldn't attend due to the Senate hearings. I was told it was a good seminar and there was only one session this year. This training replaced that seminar.... and I have attended this seminar gazillion times.....hmmmmmmmm...... I might just have that sleeping time.

PS: Me lagnat yun panganay kong anak pero pumasok pa rin siya kaninang umaga. Mahirap pag malayo yun anak mo sa yo pag me sakit. Nag-alala ako pero walang magawa at malayo nga. Sana magaling na siya......

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites