Saturday, March 7, 2009

Ika 8 ng Marso 2009: Heading Home.....

This is my last day in HK. Early evening today, I'll be back home. I miss my family and my dogs.....

I have started packing since last night trying to fit all my stuff in my small bag. I really did not have any intention of shopping.... However, being in HK proved too much for this recovering shopaholic. Inasmuch as I avoided buying altogether, there were just too much temptations all around me. I certainly cannot avoid shopping for housewares in IKEA. We have no such store back home..... and that's a good justification. Being Pinoy too, pasalubong is a must for friends and family members eagerly awaiting my pasalubong, I mean my return..... This is a far cry from my former self. Dayap can attest to the ruthlessness of my shopping sprees back then. I would learn how to make everything fit in my luggage by sitting on it one area at a time so that the stuff won't be damaged. I would also learn how to juggle as I try to balance a number of hand-carried luggage which should actually be checked in..... I once hand-carried a mini audio component..... Yes your honor, I am guilty of being a cheapskate ...... many, many times.......

We are taking advantage of the last few hours here in HK. Early in the morning, Dayap said we will have breakfast at the wet market at the ground floor of Dayap's condo. She promised to buy me taho which she swears to be too good..... my mouth waters as she describes it..... At the last minute, Dayap decided not to go to the wet market anymore........... because the stench gets into one's clothes......... ah, and I was looking forward to a bowl of authentic Chinese taho. We went to a decent Chinese roadside diner instead and had congee, porridge or lugaw. We were craving for something else.

We went to KFC for bisquit and brewed coffee. We lingered on as we talked and observed Pinays on their day off. We are a race that is hard to miss even in other lands..... you know, the usual grouping together and the pinoy chikahan we all look forward too. It must be a relief interacting with a kababayan after a week of deciphering bad English, breaking cultural barriers and fighting homesickness. At about 10:00am we left and went to the supermarket in the complex where Dayap's condo is located. I wanted to buy the doormat she is using for her kitchen. It's much like the braided doormat we have back at home sold by street hawkers...... but Dayap's doormat is better looking..... and a steal too at around HK$5 (equivalent to P30) for two pieces. I wanted to go to a crafts store selling chimes but it was still closed. We went back to Dayap's apartment.

I am into my final stage of packing. I packed and repacked the few pieces of stuff I bought. Since I am way off my goal of not shopping and bought stuff that would not fit in my bag anymore, I had to borrow a bag from Dayap. Dayap also sent me some clothes to give away to my indigents......... my two girls, my helpers, and some friends. There is a caveat attached to my borrowing her luggage......... it should be filled with food stuff upon our return there. With no recourse, I had to relent to this whimsical request. I weighed my bags to ensure i don't pay for excess baggage. I can still make adjustment in my hand-carried baggage as well.

As I was packing, I was at the laptop as well..... filling up this blog with the day's event. We tried to reached my friends but they were not answering our calls. Still shopping? Hmmmmmmm...... In a while, I would prepare myself for my trip. I took a long, hot bath. I was dressing up when Dayap took her bath. I checked my stuff..... I took my last piece of clothing and shoved it in my bag and I was all packed. I checked my passport and e-ticket. Everything was in order. Before leaving, we made one final call to the hotel and learned that my friends checked out. At least, I know they were ok. Dayap gave me some coins so that I will have the exact fare for the bus.

We left Dayap's apartment with each of us carrying a bag. Dayap will attend her church service that afternoon. I am taking the bus going to the airport...... a lot cheaper than taking the airport express train. The express train costs HK$90, the bus fare is HK$26. It goes straight to the airport. I am gonna be early at the airport but that would be alright. Arriving at the designated bus stop, Dayap would give me final instruction. She said that bus numbered A41p is the one I am supposed to take. It arrives at exactly 1:00pm. Trip to the airport is about a hour. With that, we gave each other our parting beso-beso and said goodbye.

I waited for my bus. I was getting worried when it was about 1:10pm and it hasn't arrived yet. I was thinking what if it doesn't arrive. Well, Dayap said there is also a 1:30pm bus. That is also fine as I have enough time. Soon, my bus arrived. I used all my might to get my two luggages and a hand-carried shopping bag inside the bus....... quite heavy. But my excitement to go home gave me the boost that I needed. I placed my luggages on the compartment and took a seat placing my plastic bag in front of me. The bus picked up more passengers along the way. I tried to relax and took some pictures..... not as enjoyable as when there are friends with whom you take pictures with. I tried to take my pictures and I looked horrible. I decided to just train my camera on the view outside. The travel was comfortable and quite a tour too with the scene changing from urban and modern to rural. mountainous and serene. I would see the modernity of HK ports and be envious inside...... a country so small and yet so progressive. I didn't notice this before..... when MD and I took the same route going to the airport. Instead of sleeping, I feasted on the changing scenery. Near the airport, I saw the route going to Disneyland. That's where we are going when the kids and I return to HK next month.

Travel time was actually less than an hour. I was at the Chek Lap Kok Airport around 2:00 pm. I alighted at the first stop which is Terminal 1 as instructed by Dayap. My point of entry is actually Terminal 2 but Dayap is not so familiar with the way there. So she told me to go for the tried and tested. Trusting her wisdom, I went along with her suggested course. With the same effort as getting in, I took my bags off the racks and got off the bus. I got a cart and put all my luggage on it. Now, I can move with ease..... as the load is off my shoulders. I walked through the vast expanse by my lonesome. There were some construction going on and passengers are rerouted. It was a long, long, winding path going to Terminal 2. But I found my way as I followed the signs as instructed by Dayap. The counters for my flight were still closed when I got there. I sat on the lounge chairs and waited. I wanted to go to the washroom but I have not checked in my baggages yet. I have not seen my friends yet and there was no way to reach them because my phone does have international roaming. I figured I would see them in the check-in counters but since I am early they might not be there yet. I tried to see if I could leave my baggage with someone. But most people I see are elderly Chinese folks. Some other passengers were too absorbed in what they were doing. After sometime, I decided to wander off in the direction of the washroom stopping at the convenience store facing the lounging area. I lingered for a while to observe if somebody will try to move near my luggage. Nobody did..... Trusting that nothing bad would happen, I hurriedly went to the washroom and relieved myself and freshened up. I went back to the lounge and my luggage was still there untouched. I was thinking could I do this in Manila? maybe not......

Soon, the counters for my flight opened. I went through the counter and checked in my baggage. I proceeded to immigration. Clearing their immigration, I didn't know where to go as there was no gate indicated in my boarding pass. An airport personnel clarified that there is no assigned gate yet for my flight. A fellow Pinay would ask me for direction on the way to the gates. I explained to her that there is no gate yet but we could go to the waiting lounge. We had to ride a train to go to the gates....... cool. Soon, she would follow me all around. I felt she was stalking me. Another Pinoy would be communicating with us asking for the gate. Both of them would follow me even to the Duty-free shops. I spent time there looking and testing the scents. By the time I was done, I would lose my two stalkers and would come out of the shop smelling like a Goddess. By this time, our gate would be designated.

I went to the final waiting area and sat there waiting for my friends. There were a handful of passengers when i arrived. As people start coming in, it felt like I am home again. There are Pinoys left and right. I asked one to take a picture of me and she gladly obliged. Soon, the place was full. A few minutes before boarding time, I saw my friends finally and i joined them. It was not long before we would board the plane. In a while, our plane would take off....... Goodbye Dayap...... see you soon...... I will look forward to eating that bowl of taho upon our return..... Bye bye HK..... Hello Home.....

PS: Masarap na mahirap magbiyahe. Masaya kasi nakikita mo yun ibang kultura na ibang iba sa kinagisnan mo. Mahirap kasi minsan di kayo makaintindihan. Pero dito sa HK, sa pamamagitan ng calculator pwede na kayo magkaintindihan at magkaron ng kasunduan. Kaya hala ilabas na ang calculator at ang abilidad sa pagtawad. Siguraduhin mo lang bibilhin mo pag tumawad ka na at kungdi puputaktihin ka ng kaintsikan na tunog pa lang alam mo na masam ang ibig sabihin.

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites