Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ika 10 ng Disyembre 2008: Development...... At What Expense?

I went to work early because I was asked to join an early morning meeting by a top official. I learned this like getting breaking news as I was about to leave the office yesterday. I missed doing my morning home rituals as a result but if the big boss gives the instruction, there was no other option but to attend the meeting.

I was late by a few minutes and I rushed to the venue as soon as I arrived at the office. The meeting is about improving Philippine competitiveness. Our agency is assigned to tackle growth and investment climate. This is the special work that the top official would give to me. Being new to the work among those already involved in it, I was grappling with the acronyms used and trying to make out what those were in my head as I was taking notes and learning what's going on in the project. You know how working group and committee work operate, there are so many offices and groups formed in doing several project components. The work is not really alien as I have been involved in various components of the project in the past. It is a matter of blending and updating myself on the issues.

What got my attention was a side discussion on mining which is one of the sectors identified for this work. The Mining Act of 1995 opens all private and public lands to mining operations. A top official of another agency mentioned Dinagat Island known as the "Mystical Island Province of Love" as an extreme case. The whole island is rich in mineral resources and therefore can be mined in its entirety. Local officials cannot find an answer to the community's question, "What about us?". Mining activities destroy habitats and disable alternative livelihood. As we ponder over this, Chinese mining firms are wantonly digging in and loading entire lands without even filtering straight to China.

Since local officials have no answer to the community, the top official mentioned not jokingly that the mining firms could simply buy properties for the island's inhabitants land and relocate all of them. Jokingly, he mentioned erecting a building at The Fort similar to what happened to Nauru, a phosphate rock island. Its primary economic activity since 1907 has been the export of phosphate mined from the island. With the exhaustion of phosphate reserves, its environment was severely degraded by mining. Nauru gets its income through Australian aid in exchange for operating detention centers for those seeking asylum in Australia. In the late 1980s, the Pacific Star Building, alternatively known as the Republic of Nauru Building, was built presumably to house all of Nauru inhabitants if the need arises.

The pursuit of economic prosperity at whatever cost is beyond comprehension. Time and again, we have been reminded about the grim consequence of destroying God's creation. Yet, we never learn.............

PS: Akala ko marami akong magagawa ngayon araw at walang mga linta, este tao dito. Hindi rin at napakaraming sumingit na gawain. Pwede sana ako umuwi maaga pero parang gusto ko tapusin yun mga gagawin. Masarap din kasi umuwi na me liwanag pa. Pag dumadating ako bahay, tulog na lagi yun bunso kong anak.

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites