Sunday, May 3, 2009

Ika 4 ng Mayo 2009: Starting Right

I had a good Sunday and that should give me a good headstart for the week. I had enough spare time yesterday to do the things I planned to do...... had carwash during the Pacquiao-Hatton fight. When I reached the shop, Pacquiao and Hatton were being presented.... then there's the national anthem. I watched the commercials, I mean the fight, in the shop and watched Pacquiao knocked down Hatton at home.... almost an hour for a two-round fight.

Anyway after the fight, Hubby, MD, and I went to the saloon for various services. Home service rates were raised by the owner..... an additional P50 for each service is added to the regular rate to take care of transportation. I argued that the masseuses do not take separate transportation. I was haggling the increase because of the number of persons availing of the services in our home..... there's hubby, MIL, me, and now MD. MD took after my vanity..... ED is the complete opposite and goes to the saloon just for a haircut and nothing more. I have not properly talked to the owner on the rate increase but I would really bargain on this..... I think an additional P50 per service is too much. Our home is a tricycle ride away. The reason we patronize them is because of the low prices and their acceptable service.

Hubby had a carwash too like what I did the first time I tried the saloon because these establishments are adjacent to each other. When we are benefited by the economic activity of another even if we are not directly involved in his activity, we have what is known as externalities or spillover effects. They both enjoy the advantage of spillover effect or positive externalities because of their proximity. For people not wanting to waste time, it great to have complementary services in a single location to optimize people's time. I had a foot spa and manicure while MD had a manicure/pedicure package. Hubby had his massage. He wanted to have foot spa too but the therapist said that it is not good to have a foot spa because he can no longer soak his feet as chills can get into his body. He should have had the foot spa first and the massage later. We didn't know that. He was disappointed. I, on the other had, can still have a massage..... but I might not have time. We are still going to the mall. We were not done when he was finished. He took his car and went home to fetch ED and MS. They would pick us up from the saloon in a while.

MD's feet were still being cleaned when I was finished. I thought about having a back rub which was granted. That's the nice thing about this saloon, everything I want is possible at low prices. MD was not done when hubby and the two kids arrived. I extended my back rub a bit. Then, I paid for the the services, went out and waited in the car for MD. In a while, MD emerged with lavender nails.

We went to the mall. Hubby would treat us to dinner at the Yellow Cab. He would actually cash in the coupon he won in their Christmas party. He would also buy a new monitor for the study room while I would scout for a possible TV replacement. ED is also buying materials for her school uniform. Hubby made a sidetrip to the optical shop to have his glasses repaired..... that little detour caused me a little purchase at Regalong Pambahay where there is an ongoing sale........ 30% for all items. I am a huge admirer of their items. I bought a partition made of shells and some chimes, a collection. Next, we went to the textile store but the store supervisor who used to be the school directress for the nursery school where the kids went to, took the day off. She would recommend a dressmaker who will make ED's uniform. We decided to postpone the purchase till when the store supervisor in in the shop. MS and I went to the appliance center and started looking around. Hubby and the two girls followed. We were all mesmerized by all the appliances. I trained my eyes on the TV sets as the brood looked on..... lots of temptation. But it really isn't time to purchase new appliances.... maybe just the replacement for my TV set. I am weighing my options because I am most likely purchasing this on credit with 0% interest option for 12 months. Two loans of mine obtained through the same means will be retired this month. I also requested that the salesperson take the dimensions of the TV set so that I can make sure it fits the space allotted for it.

After my canvass, we went to Yellow Cab. Hubby ordered Charlie Chan pasta, our usual fare; meatlovers pizza; and buffalo chicken without the hot sauce; and drinks for all. We ate heartily although MS was looking for rice to go with the chicken. While dining, ED let us in on a surprise information. She said that Yellow Cab is actually a Filipino company based here. Hubby and I couldn't believe that and asked her several times if its true. She was certain because a close friend of hers knows the owners. All the while, we thought, the resto originated in NY. ED said that there is not even one in NY. There's one in a Middle East country, Saudi Arabia, she said. That is one successful marketing coup pulled out by the owners then. I am sure a lot of people were thinking the way we did... with the interiors, posters, product offerings, and marketing strategy designed for Yellow Cab. Anyway, there was nothing left of our meal when we finished eating.

We went to the computer shops after dinner. After canvassing in two shops, hubby went to his "suking" computer shop. He bought the monitor on credit at 0% for 3 monthly installment. We headed home after this. I passed by Regalong Pambahay to pick up my purchase.

At home, MD and ED were proudly telling me about the cake that they baked for me before we left as an advance Mother's Day gift. We wanted dessert and I told them to prepare it so we could all partake of the chocolate cake. MD is the family's chef. She took the cake from the oven and the chocolate icing she prepared. She tried to get the cake out of the baking pan but it wouldn't go off nicely. When it loosen somehow, the cake cracked and was divided into three pieces. I think it lacked butter or some liquid ingredient.... it was a bit dry. It tastes good though. We were all laughing and teasing MD about the cake as she tried to remedy it. In the end, the cake looked like a volcano that erupted. We all started giving it names. Hubby said volcanic eruption. I called it lahar. MS said pandemonium, I think. MD served us all slicing a piece and putting it on a small plate as ED got glasses and water. I told MD that maybe, she should get the ice cream scooper. We were laughing as we ate MD's disastrous offering. After dessert, everyone retreated to the bedrooms. I stayed for sometime to work on my lecture. In a while, I would give in to sleep.

With a happy and meaningful weekend, I am ready to face a new week on this new day. With the Pacquiao victory, I guess so are a lot of Pinoys....

PS: Nagpabili ako ng bag sa ukay-ukay sa Baguio sa mga estudyante ko na me field trip dun. Mura at magaganda daw ang mga bilihin sa parteng iyon. Sanay na sanay sa pag-uukay ang mga estudyante ko at maraming bagay na ginagamit nila na magaganda ay galing sa ukay. Hindi ko pa nasubukan ang bumili sa ukay ukay. Sana isa sa mga araw na ito, makapunta ako at maranasan ko naman ang mag ukay-ukay.....

2 comments:

Mahalia said...

wow, spaaaahhhh! I just podcasted something about parloring in the Philippines. Nakaka-miss.

brainchild said...

Hi Mahalia, kung pwede nga lang araw-araw.......

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites