Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ika 1 ng Hunyo 2009: At your Service

I was feeling light inspite of the previous day's celebration in our home. I actually woke up with a smile on my face as I was reminiscing the happy occasion. Being a gracious host is a tough act. It was a rainy Sunday but thank goodness, the rains somehow cooperated. It held its showing until after we were already winding up. I am thankful for my household staff who made life easy on those days. They are up on their feet and are almost always at your beck and call.... that I feel guilty too. I allow them a little space after a hard day like yesterday. After the event, they can relax a bit and do the work at their pace.

Over a hearty feast and happy exchange, my cousin who is now based in Canada would share the difficulty of not having hired help there. Used to a pampered life here, she is suddenly doing all domestic chores by herself. She laments that even in freezing weather, she has to put on a ton of clothing just to bring out the trash. Her husband is having more difficulty adjusting according to her. I heard this from many others who decided to live abroad in their first few years which is actually part of the adjustment period.

Here, household helpers can be had at will and for almost a pittance. Though more expensive than in the past, their services are still reasonably priced. We still all want to have them at home with all the horror stories we hear about them and our own bad experiences. Even last night, we had such a bummer. One of our helpers, MIL assistant, whom we tap for cooking chores whenever we had a party, proved too assertive that I lost patience with her. After the party, there were left-over food on the banquet table. Since we cannot consume everything, I left instructions with the helpers to give some food to our neighbor and let MIL assistant and our boy helper bring some home. My specific instruction was to give away the left-over on the table as these cannot be stored anymore and have to be consumed immediately and not to get anymore food from whatever remains untouched. I told MIL assistant that she could hitch a ride with me when I bring the rented tables and chairs back to the shop. I was at the PC relaxing a bit when MIL assistant interrupted my peace to tell me that she would leave already with my other helper who was going to the Church. I suspected the sudden change of plan and went out to check. I asked if she packed food to bring home. She said yes. I eyed the banquet table and all the left-over food were still there. I asked where she got the food she packed and she said these were also served. I asked her why the left-over food were still there. She was uncomfortable and said she would just return it and get from the table. I followed her to the kitchen and told my helper to be the one to pack the food. She then brought out what she packed........ two big containers of everything that is left. I pointedly asked her why she had to bring so much. My helper told me there was nothing left of the food in the pots. So she lied about getting food already served and was instead getting the untouched food leaving us with the leftovers. I did not say much but made her feel I did not like what she did. I still gave her food but she could have gotten more. I resented her dishonesty and over-assertiveness. I gave most of what is left leaving just enough for dinner, to my boy helper who was so pleased to bring something for his family.

My family have always strove hard to treat our helpers in a good way in recognition of the value of their service in helping bring quality living to my household and allowing my family to pursue our respective careers....... taking care of our meals, clothes, sanitation, and security. They may not always be perfect missing the beat certain times but they have remained our loyal and dedicated staff. They have become part of our family as they celebrate most special occasions of their lives in our home and not with their own families.

Yesterday, I talked to my cousin's wife who works at SSS about securing social security benefits for my household staff because our boy helper intimated to me his desire to have this benefit. I said why not and we should also get SSS for my other helpers. I have long recognized the importance of getting social security benefits and wanted to get SSS for all staff who worked in my household but always there are hindrances. Sometimes, the helpers themselves do not want the benefit. Many time, it is the lack of time to take care of the requirements of registration which thwart the intention.

As I went to work today, I was thinking I have to take a stronger effort to give my household staff what is due them.

PS: Yun nasakyan kong van kanina, grabe naman makatutok..... Halos mahalikan na ng unahan ng sasakyan niya yun hulihan ng nauunang sasakyan. Nasa harap pa naman ako kaya kitang kita ko. Napapapreno tuloy ako at parang minsan hindi aabot yun preno ng driver. Samantalang, ang tinuturo sa mga nag-aaral magmaneho na panatilihing sa dalawa hanggang tatlong sasakyan ang layo sa sinusundan na sasakyan. Medyo impossible no? Sa traffic sa Maynila. Pero di naman dapat na dalawa hanggang talong pulgada din ang layo. Di tuloy ako nakatulog mabuti sa byahe!

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites