Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ika 14 ng Mayo 2009: The Baby is Now a Lady

I had to wake up ED this morning as instructed because she will go to the Comelec to register as a first time voter and later to school to have her measurements for their uniform taken. So apparently, I have an adult daughter already. Next year, she will exercise her right to suffrage. When I look at her, I still see my little daughter. A few years back, I was having problems on how she will be commuting to and from school. For a long time, she didn't know how to commute until she was forced to learn......

She had to attend a summer camp, the Ateneo Junior Summer Camp, in Ateneo for the top students of schools nationwide. We tried her living in my brother's home in QC. After only two weeks, she wanted to just come from our home as she is uncomfortable living with relatives. No talk could dissuade her from changing her mind even if she had to wake up at 4:00am so we could leave at 5:00am. I was forced to go to work so early. My brother and I taught her the way to Ateneo using the MRT and LRT. At first, I would accompany her until Cubao and my brother would meet her there for the transfer going to Katipunan. In time, she learned to do it by herself. Her mobility was still restricted as she doesn't know how to commute elsewhere.

In her senior year in high school, she told me that she was the only one who wasn't commuting in her school. I asked even M......, the tiniest girl in her class. She said yes, even M...... I thought about it and gave her the go signal to commute to school and back home whenever the bus couldn't pick her up. Later, she learned about the other places she and her friends go to in the area. Still, her movement was restricted. Often, we would fetch them after their get together with friends.

When she chose to study in UP Manila, I knew I had to let go and just pray for my kids' safety. My kids have been so cloistered..... yes, I am guilty as charged. But times are different now. There's are so many bad elements and influences around us that raising kids to be independent becomes a tricky question. It's not just because I had intended to be strict with my children. With so much criminality around us, I cannot help but be fearful for my kids' safety.

In my times, I was left on my own in my elementary years. We walked to and from school passing by a railroad track. Sometimes, we would ride a tricycle, any tricycle. Our parents were certain we would be home safely. I got lost before and some kind souls brought me to our house. It's different now. One cannot walk along a railroad track without being mugged, robbed, or worst, raped or murdered. Some public utility drivers can be drug users who can do just about anything when on a high. If you get lost today, there's never an assurance you'd get back as you might be trafficked and sold to white slavery. A lot of things concern parents today. Raising kids who are independent and well-balanced is harder than it was.......

I know I had to let go sometime..... I am doing that slowly. ED is going to more places now. She has learned how to drive a car which to me is the ultimate symbol of women's independence as it it gives her more options. She is also doing more things by herself. Registering with the Comelec is her own initiative. I used to think that she doesn't care about elections in this country. I guess I am wrong. To Mar, Villar, Legarda, Lacson, Fernando, Binay, Noli, et. al, my daughter will vote for one of you next year. What have you got to offer her and the rest of our youth more than your premature TV campaigns......

In due time, she will finish her course and hopefully become a doctor. I used to take care of her. I am seeing a role reversal in the near future. Though she remains a homebody, she is going places now. She is expected to carry on more adult responsibilities as time goes by. Right now, she is a young lady blossoming gracefully into the real world. Yet to me, she will always be my baby!

As we parted way this morning at the junction, I looked at her making her way to the bus. I could only mutter to myself, "There goes my baby......"

PS: @#$%^&**#$%^&&*...... Gusto ko batukan ang sarili ko. Ang aga ko umalis at inayos ko pa ang mga gamit na dadalhin ko kanina ng walang pagmamadali. Kampanteng kampante ako at maaliwalas lahat...... Pagdating ko opisina at kinuha ang libro ko para gumawa ng lektyur ko habang lunch break..... anak ng kabayo..... mali pala ang nadampot kong libro...... buset talaga! Akala ko magiging maganda ang takbo ng araw na ito sa kin.... ayan naumpisahan na ako ng swerte!

4 comments:

Snow said...

hahaha....super emote ako sa 1st part ng post mo tapos sobrang tawa naman ako sa p.s. mo...

btw, i am a mom of a 6 yr old kid and my selfish wish eh hindi na muna siya maging teenager..kasi hindi ko na siya mayayakap..corny daw yun sabi ng mga pinsan nyang teens...

brainchild said...

Hello Snow,

ganyan siguro talaga ang buhay..... parang gulong...... masaya minsan, minsan naman malungkot din.

wish ko rin yang wish mo na sana bata sila forever..... pero di na mapigilan ang paglaki nila.... my youngest is 12, almost 13 but he is still my baby. I have two teen daughters and have been a hand-on mom even if I work. I guess we just have to cherish every moment with them and build a treasurebox of memories from each of these experiences.

salamat sa pagbisita.

earthlingorgeous said...

Ka-touch naman ng post na ito. Ako naman nagwi-wish na sana ang anak ko eh maging independent din at magkaroon ng mga kaibigan haaaaaaaay... life. Thanks sa pagbisita sa blog ko ha at pag-iwan ng comment.

brainchild said...

Hi ms. earthlingeorgous,

With your guidance and love, your daughter will have as many friends as she wants.....

salamat sa pagbisita....

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites