Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ika 29 ng Mayo 2009: Moral Dilemma

I learned some rather disturbing incident during my review session with my student at Starbucks the other night. My student shared that an educator at the main campus of our school who proctored the exam he took to be certified by a prestigious foreign university was far too 'helpful' to students taking the test. Apparently, she told the students which numbers to choose and gave them, first a tip on how to answer the questions. Not contented, she gave them a xerox copy of a page of a book that provides the answer to the questions. My student was dumbfounded and uncomfortable. Being a man of faith, he opted to choose questions other than those suggested by the teacher-proctor. He told the teacher he chose another question. She wrote something and gave it to my student. In the midst of great temptation, my student ignored the answer guide provided by the teacher. I admire my student's courage and honesty. I am shamed by the brazen display of dishonesty by a member of my profession.

The reason for such act is simple. Passing this exam would bode well for the school...... it's standing, it's reputation. Never mind if this was at the expense of dishonesty. Such poor judgment by someone who is supposed to educate the young is unconscionable. I am reminded of how some teachers in the public school also 'helped' their students pass the National Achievement Test (NAT).

We're supposed to teach our young the right way. The right way is to make them strive to do their best by working hard to get where they want to go. But why are we teaching them the short cut to an undeserved success? It's no wonder why the future generation is so used to having it the easy way.

I asked my student if he told anybody and if he thinks anyone knows if such practice has been going on. He said he's afraid to tell anyone as the same teacher might be his proctor on the other exams. He also said that some students in the main campus are probably aware. I told him that the next time the teacher is his proctor, he should tell her that he can do without her help politely.

But what do I do with this information I suddenly have. My student shared it with me than any other authority in the school. My conscience said I should tell someone in the school who can do something about it. On the other hand, I am afraid that this is just the tip of an ice berg and I am afraid to uncover something bigger.... It can cost me the job that I love.....

On the last day of this week, I am faced with a dilemma that has far-reaching consequences........ Damn if I do, damn if I don't.....

PS: Nakakapagod tong dalawang araw na to na pinilit namin tapusin yun mga kailangan ng mga boss. Buti pa sila, naaburido lang at ipapasa na sa yo ang trabaho. Kaming mga gumagawa, aaburiduhin na........ eto at binubusabos pa. Buti at ipinagpaliban ng mas malaking bos yun miting para pag-usapan ang trabaho. Nakahinga ng konti. Hanggang sa muli...... Makauwi na nga......

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites