Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ika 27 ng Mayo 2009: M & E

Used as a tool for monitoring and controlling tasks in projects, M & E has applications that goes beyond the project development cycle. Monitoring represents an on-going activity to track project progress against planned tasks. Program or project evaluation represents a systematic and objective assessment of ongoing or completed projects or programs in terms of their design, implementation and results. In addition, evaluations usually deal with strategic issues such as program/project relevance, effectiveness, efficiency (expected and unexpected), in the light of specified objectives, as well as program/project impact and sustainability.

In my home, I use M & E to ensure that my household runs effectively and efficiently. I noticed that people working in our household respond differently to various M & E tools and methods I am using in checking or tracking progress in their work. For a full-time working mom who manages to moonlight while at a same time keep a fairly balanced social life, running a household can be challenging to say the least. There would be instances when like mice, my household staff would play when the cat is away. Hence, consistency in monitoring is important........ an area I have to improve on. I would sometimes leave instructions and not follow up or check if these have been followed or done. That would give a wrong signal to your staff. I have to be creative in the techniques I use.

I would learn that reprimanding, more often than not, is not a good way to instill responsibility among my household helpers. If at all, the repercussions could be disastrous. I have two or three household helpers in the past who left us after getting a good dressing down from me. It doesn't matter who was wrong. The thing is they felt bad enough to leave in a huff. In defense of my action, I'd say that it's probably time for them to leave our household. Reprimanding would be needed in extreme cases..... like when the offense could have serious repercussions to anyone in my home.

At the other extreme, a laissez faire management, where the helpers are left to their own device, is not recommended as well. A household run without the intervention of management is likely to fall apart. Again, on those time when work demands get most of my attention, I would be be running my home like this. For short periods of time, it would good to leave our staff alone. But there are risks to doing this. Mishaps, waste, losses to name a few, are likely to occur with household left to the helpers. Unless, your household staff have serve you with unfailingly loyalty for a good number of years, do not attempt to do this.

For some reason, household helpers nowadays, appears to have less initiative than their counterparts in the past. In my parents' household, we had the experience of having loyal and dedicated staff who stayed with us for a long time. These days, such find would be a rarity. I also observed that even our helpers have become motivated by materialism such that they are also into new gadgets and all of those stuff. No problem..... They are using their own money. Many times, however, these gadgets like celfone would interfere with their work, sometimes seriously. I don't nag but I had to make it known to them that there are certain things that they need to do before they could slack off. I understand their need to have a break. But work should not be their break for engaging in social networking. I have used mild hints which can be effective in the short term. I would notice though that they would be back to their old habits. I have to use a stronger tactic. When I talk to them, I lay my expectations and call attention immediately when it is not done as it should be at a certain time. I try not to be watching over their shoulders as I know how it feels. I linger around doing stuff while observing them at a distance. The distance appears to be the needed space to give both of us breathing space. With constancy, work seems to get done.

I have also used taking on the responsibility to show them the correct way which is effective as well...... but this can be tiring. Over time, the helpers get so used to seeing you do the work that they think you must be enjoying it. At a certain point, I have to delegate and pass on the responsibility.

In M & E, staff must face the consequences of their action. A just penalty and reward system should also be in place. Over the years and after working and living with enough household helpers in my lifetime, I simply have to reiterate that treating your staff like how you want to be treated is the way to do it. Working for a number of bosses, I have seen and learned things that I should and should not use in managing my own people. It is very important to give them the dignity of a human being. Like we all resent getting a dressing down in public, so should we give them respect even when we have to point out their shortcomings because they are bound to commit some, many....... Punish the sin, not the sinner. The old and the wise have so succinctly put it, "..... that is why they work as household helpers......" I have to accept this with resignation and compassion. I get easily agitated in certain situations but I have learned to temper my reactions specially with people who have less in life. There are occasional slips and I am still a work-in progress.

A carrot and stick approach could also work well. Reward them justly through salary increases, certain privileges, gifts for good performance. Conversely, a wrongdoing should not go unnoticed and should have repercussions. In a way, depriving them anything falling under the reward system would be punishment enough. The difference in these two approaches are huge, yet they were both used for the same reasons.

The carrot and the stick approach were different approaches used by the British when the got control of Quebec after the Seven Year's War. They knew that right now they were out numbered by the Canadiens, so they had to be careful about how they would decide to keep them from rebelling, yet still enforce laws.

The Stick Approach: The stick approach was an approach which used force and aggression. This approach would not give the opposition a chance to rebel because in a way it was a threat. A supporter of this harsh approach was the British Cononial Secretary, Earl of Shelburne. For example, if the British planned to use this approach on the Canadians, they would: restrict the Roman Catholic religion, send all French government and church officials back to France, give the entire control of the fur-trade to the British merchants, not allow the Roman Catholic practitioners to take part in the government, and restrict the territory of Quebec to a small area.

The Carrot Approach: Unlike the stick approach, the carrot approach used sympathy, and coaxing. This approach is related to dangling a carrot in front of a horses head to get it to move, rather than striking it with a stick. When using this approach the opposition would have a voice in what the new laws should be, and in this case it was used to keep the opposition from rebelling. A supporter of this sympathetic approach towards the Canadians was British Governor, Sir James Murray. For example, if the British were to use this approach towards the Canadians, they would: allow all Roman Catholics to practice their religion freely, allow Roman Catholics and Protestants to take part in the government, allow the French to take part in the government, and allow the French into the interior, yet still giving some territory to the First Nations Peoples.


I thank my household helpers for teaching me patience and compassion. They have taught me the value of human labor. They have opened my eyes and made me reflect on how blessed I am to be where I am.

Every morning each day, I don't tire leaving instructions on how they should use their day to make living at home a pleasant experience for everyone. This morning as I made my final stop at the gate before leaving for work, I was still at it talking to my boy helper on cleaning chores in preparation for an affair on Sunday. Looking back at the closed gate behind me, I trust that things get done today as expected.......

PS: Nagpamiting ang boss ko at mukang bising bisi na naman sila. Bakit ba kailangan ipahalata na bisi ka? Pwede naman na tahimik lang na magtrabaho. Me mga taong sadyang kailangan magpapansin para lang pansinin....... Ang tawag diyan, ganon pa rin...... sipsip!

2 comments:

Jan said...

Carrot and stick approach. If only this can be applied in blogging, right. Blogging will be slightly better. Or is it?

Ahahaha. Perhaps when I reach the point that I've become on uber super blogger that I regard my readers as hired help. Yaya? I need a little down - can you praise me to high heavens today? And reward the subservient with a precious link to her own blog.

Hays, thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy sharing insights with you.

Do you live in a mansion? You seem to have a lot of help, my impression. lols.

brainchild said...

You're being uber modest, Jan... Traffic is heavy in your site. I get claustrophobic visiting it hehehe.....

Check my bloglist (multiple choice), you have been there for sometime now. Since we've open the floodgates, I am setting aside my inhibition and humbly request the honor of being in your blogroll. Thanks in advance.

Mansion? Not even close..... Since I am a dreamer, I'd like to think I do hahaha.....

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites