Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Ika 13 ng Mayo 2009: Shoe Mishaps

Not today, last night actually......... I can laugh about it now...... But last night, I was miserable walking with a limp........ and its no joke.....

After school, I was walking along my usual route to the shuttle terminal when I lightly tripped and one of the flaps of my step-in sandal broke.........waaahhhhhhhh! I was about halfway to my destination when it happened. If I go back to school and ask for help which may not be available, I'd spend the same time heading to the terminal. Chances are also that the shoe sizes of the two ladies in school are not the same as mine. It was late at night and the shops were closed. I can't walk on my bare foot...... that would be too gross for an OC like me. I continued waking dragging my broken sandal along. It was difficult........ I tried to avoid walking where the throngs are going and went by a route that is less traveled. People were passing me by...... I limped on praying that the thong my toes are precariously holding to, do not give way. When the terminal was in view, I saw that SM was still opened. I thought about replacing my sandal. On second thought, I was almost there..... I would walk the same distance if I cross the street to go to SM.... Besides, I don't want to buy just any sandals or shoes that I may not have use for later. I decided to just go on.... Finally, I reached the terminal, took my ride, and off we went........ Upon reaching our village, I took a tricycle because my sandals are in no condition to walk. I got home inspite of that little mishap.....

I am no strange to shoe or sandal mishaps. I think I have at least four of these accidents. One of these involves a pair of clogs I bought in HK. It's a known brand but I couldn't remember the name. I love that sandals so much. It's a step-in closed clogs. I didn't wear it immediately and kept it until the right occasion to flaunt it comes about. It took some time.... a long time actually before it came. I finally wore it to the office because I had an affair to go to in the evening. I was so proud wearing it for the first time, even showing it off to friends. It was fine the entire morning. Towards noon, I felt that the enclosed portion is becoming loose. I didn't mind it at first but as I walked, it became more loose until the front would show a gaping hole. I insisted on wearing it. But by mid afternoon, the whole covering was detached from the cork sole. I had to ditch it for a spare shoes I kept in the office. I wanted it repaired but the shoe repair shop couldn't even remedy it. The seams can no longer hold the cover...... sucks! That's when I learned that we cannot keep shoes for a long time in a box unable to breathe. Being a collector of shoes in the past, this same thing happened to a number of shoes.

But a shoe mishap that sticks to mind happened in one of MS's important events in his old school. I think it was hist first holy communion because hubby and I were part of the offerors. We put on our Sunday's best. Of course, I had to choose a pair of shoes to match my outfit. It was early when we came so hubby decided to pay the kids' school dues while I accompanied MS to his classroom which was their assembly area. When their adviser told them to line up to go the church, I went off to meet up with hubby going to the church. As I was walking, I felt a strange feeling from under me like I was slowly losing my shoes. Every step I take made the shoes more loose ......... until the entire top was detached. I couldn't even make use of the sole because there was nothing there to hold my foot..... not a strand or string....... I couldn't help but laugh at myself for looking so foolish walking with one shoe while holding the top of the other one. Some construction workers working in the school that time were taunting me pointed out the obvious upon seeing me. I couldn't even defend myself from such assault and just ignored the whole thing. I proceeded to the accounting area hoping to find hubby there but he was no longer there. I called him up and told him what happened. I asked him to bring my rubber shoes which was in the car. Rubber shoes to match with my Sunday's best..... yeah, right! But better be wearing the rubber than going barefoot when we join the offertory march later.

As I was waiting for hubby, my stomach began acting up strangely. I ended up rushing to the toilet tiptoeing and balancing with just one shoe on. I was sweating and I let go of my misery...... I was trying to rush as I knew that hubby will be there around that time. When I came out, there was still no one. I called hubby asking where he was. He said that he was on his way to the church. Apparently, he came to the accounting office but didn't find me. he returned the rubber shoes to the car......+"(&*@!#$$$%&&* I explained to him that I had to rush to the washroom because of an upset stomach. He grudgingly obliged to getting my shoes again. While waiting for him the second time, MS's guidance counselor came and was heading for the church telling me that the mass has started. I showed her my foot and explained what happened telling her that I was waiting for hubby. She asked for my shoe size....... and lo and behold, we have the same shoe size. She went back to her office to get her shoes and gave it to me. I called hubby again to tell him I solved my problem. He could return the shoes to the car. He was irritated...... Despite what happened, hubby and I were able to go about the offering without further hitches. Without an idea what happened, MS had his first holy communion.

Today, I am wearing another sandal that have given me the same problem in the past. It's a black sandals with a unique shape and what I see as an Egyptian pattern. I like these sandals a lot. It's versatile too as it goes well with just about anything. I frequently wear it to the office..... changing into my spare office black shoes when I have a meeting or other important events. One night on my way home, the thong fastened loosely between my toes gave way..... luckily just a short distance to the shuttle terminal. I just dragged the sole with the strap hanging on to my foot going to the terminal. Being a favored shoes, I had the thongs replaced. I think it will be good for many more months of use. Until then, I have to watch my step all the time...........

PS: Wala pa rin email galing sa kapatid ko. Nakarating na kaya sila ng maayos? Malamang naman at madami ang nagdarasal para sa kanilang ligtas na biyahe.....

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites