Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ika 31 ng Oktubre 2008

Oh my....this could be one of the most dragging days to go to work..... the day before All Saints' Day.....it's actually Halloween and we should be trick or treating..... instead here we are tricked into coming to work....

Sometimes I cannot understand how this government decides which days to declare as holidays. Everyone was surprised about the decision to not declare either October 31 or November 2 as a non-working holiday. All Saints' Day is a big thing for Filipinos who take time out to visit their dearly beloved who have gone into the great divide. Among our holidays, this should ranked among the highest in terms of actual observance. It's tiring too because some of us would want to spend the whole day at the cemetery. MIL is like that. I am not very keen on it and so are some of the family members here. Personally, I don't like lingering in the cemetery for the following reasons:

1. I don't particularly relish the idea of being in a swarm of people and honoring the dead. It's supposed to be a sacred family ritual. How can that happen in that situation.
2. I don't like not doing anything for a good part of the day.
3. The traffic can cause rage.
4. Last but definitely not the least, I hate public toilets in certain places and cemetery would be one of those places. I don't like using a toilet that has been used by hundreds, maybe thousands at one time. I usually end up holding my pee or worst some other waste. I know it's bad but I can't help it. We try to stop at the most acceptable toilet on the way home.

Eldest daughter recently expressed her dislike for spending the whole day at the cemetery. Because really now...... is it really necessary? Whether it's sunny or rainy, it's very inconvenient. Staying there the whole day means bringing a truckload of stuff which include a tent, table and chairs, coolers, umbrellas, utensils for eating, pillows, blankets, abundant food, beverages, water and a whole lot more.

Maybe. my practical nature is a mismatch to MIL's sentimental side. It can probably be attributed to our generation gap..... she belongs to the seniors and I am a baby boomer. I'd like to think I am part of the Gen X, probably the earlier ones. At any rate we are forced to comply for so many years. Here at home, she probably observed how we observe honoring the dead on my side. There is not much preparation and we go there to pray, light candles, and arrange flowers. No elaborate rituals. We don't even go there together. My other brother will go there on All Saints' day itself. My youngest brother and I usually go together some other day except the day itself. Convenience and practicality is a consideration..... No pressures, no hassles. If we go hungry, we buy food along the way. We're done in about one to two hours.

Why P/GMA would not give an extra holiday infuriates a lot of people even as holidays we don't even expect as holidays are easily ruled as such. Oh well, being a day that drags, I came to work late. I probably wold just take a leave but then I had to meet somebody who is selling me his old dog stuff in Makati. When I arrived in the office, I met our dentist who told me that our top boss might declare half day. The decision to allow employees to take the day off was left at the discretion of the management of companies. Some time later, unconfirmed reports that we can take the afternoon off circulated as the top honcho and his executive committee were meeting that time. Unconfirmed as it was, employees made a beeline to the exit at 12:00noon.

Me? Well, I met the dog stuff person. After our transaction, I went home. Traffic was good. Along the way, I planned the rest of my day. I thought to have my car headlight bulbs replaced at the mall. I met this sales clerk at the Ace Hardware who worked for the company I bought my car from and told me that he can replace the bulb. Being on a tight budget, I thought it's a good enough deal. I'll be spending less than if I bring it to the service center. Besidss, I thought replacing a bulb wouldn't be so complicated. I texted hubby who didn't go to work to bring the car to the mall and I would meet him there. The kids went with him as eldest daughter and my son would watch High School Musical while middle daughter would go to her friend's house.

I was at the mall soon and waited for hubby and the kids. Being Halloween, there were kids and store employees in costumes that became my source of amusement as I was waiting. Kids were treat and tricking in the stores and some were posing for pictures with store employees in costumes and the store's Halloween decorated facade as background.

Soon hubby and kids arrived. We went to Ace Hardware and I bought the bulbs. Arrangements were then with the sales clerk who will work on our car. He appears knowledgeable as he removed screws and covers and detached the bulb. Then he realized that he gave the wrong bulb when he took off the busted one. So I had to get back to the hardware and had it replaced...... a bit expensive than the one I bought. Sales clerk continued working on the headlight until......... the fuse box touched a metal surface and there was a spark. I was apprehensive but didn't make anything out of it. Soon, the headlight were installed and working. I gave the sales clerk a tip and went on our way. Having nothing to do, We decided to do some errands as we were waiting for my eldest daughter and son so we could fetch them later.

We got a bird flight cage that hubby ordered from a maker. Hubby is thinking about putting up an aviary. We took it home and left again to pick up the kids and go to the supermarket. We figured our weekend would be busy so we wanted to accomplish some tasks ahead of time. After picking up middle daughter from her friend's house and eldest daughter and son at the mall, we set out for the supermarket until...... the car stereo began acting strange. When we reached the road, the car went sputter and died right there on the road. Hubby was panicking and pushed the car. We tried to help and soon some men helped him push it to the parking lot. Hubby was careful as when the brakes are applied and put on parked, it wouldn't move already since my car has automatic ignition. Good thing we were still near the mall.

Hubby said he didn't know what to do but suspected it could be the alternator as our battery was dead. He told me to get the sales clerk. We sent our kids home. They took a tricycle at the terminal in the mall parking area. I looked for the sales clerk and took him to where the car is. Soon, SC was working on our car. He realized that the accelerator fuse short-circuited when the fuse box touched the metal surface and actually melted..... that's why there was no power supply to the battery. I really don't understand this..... I am an engineer by training but my specialization is to ensure efficiency in production..... Other than this, I am poor in the application of physical sciences. Fellow engineers pardon my ignorance on our craft.

It took him sometime to extricate the melted fuse. I decided to find the replacement for the damaged fuse in the car supplies stores inside the mall..... Nothing.... We were advised to directly connect the part but hubby does not agree because it might cause more damages. SC tried soldering the damaged fuse part and reconnected it back as an initial remedy since the part is not available.. After about two hours of turning extricating the damaged fuse, several screws and connecting and reconnecting, SC asked hubby to start ....and viola.... the engine reverberate..... then started. It's just a remedy and tomorrow, we will look for the replacement part and will meet SC again to finish the work.

We went home tired and hungry and stressed out and cranky. So that was how my Halloween went...... talk about unexpected turns which could ruin one's day......

PS: Habang ginagawa ng sales clerk ang kotse, nag-uusap kami ng asawa ko. Sabi niya di daw kailangan tanggalin yun takip ng fuse. Parang sinisi niya ang sales clerk.

Bago pa tuluyang huminto ang sasakyan at medyo nagloloko ito, pinaparinigan na ako ng asawa ko yan daw ang problema sa paghaharimunan. Ngayon lang ako nagpagawa ng sasakyan sa ganitong paraan at karaniwang na sa service center ako pumupunta. Naisip ko naman pagpapalit lang naman ng bumbilya, ano naman masama ang pwedeng mangyari. Pero nangyari nga ang di dapat mangyari. Di ako kumikibo at baka nga mali ang desisyon ko.

Sa pagharap sa problema magkaiba kami ng asawa ko.... siya sobrang magproblema, ako yun pilit humahanap ng paraan pero pag di ko kaya hihinto muna ako at pababayaan lang ang sitwasyon. Yun asawa ko kahit sinusolusyunan na ang problema, me problema pa rin siya.

Nung makita ko yun sales clerk at sumama siya sa akin sa kotse parang naipasa ko na ang problema sa kanya. Nahirapan din siyang remedyuhan ang nangyari pero kahit ganon pinilit niyang ginawa. Masaya na ako non. At dahil remedyo lang ang ginawa niya para kami makauwi, napagkasunduan namin na itutuloy niya ang trabaho kinabukasan pag nahanap namin ang piyesa. Sana me bukas na tindahan ng piyesa ng kotse bukas.

Pauwi di pa rin matahimik ang aasawa ko sa pagsasambit na dapat di binuksan yun fuse box. Masungit pa rin at parang galit sa taong gumawa ng sasakyan. Di na ako nakatiis. Sinabi ko na lahat naman nagkakamali at ginawa naman niya. Tahimik na kami hanggang makarating ng bahay. Kumain kami pagkadating. Maya maya me tumatawag sa telepono. Ang asawa ko ang sumagot. Pagbalik sinabi sa akin na yun sales cllerk daw inaalam lang kung nakauwi kami, Nasabi ko kita mo ang bait pa. Di na siya nagsalita.

Siguro nga iba't iba ang paraan ng pagharap sa problema ng tao.... at dapat din unawain ito.

1 comment:

wilkesy said...

Halloween is one of the best times of the year to get out those scary costumes and party! Anyone and everone can have a great time at this fantastic haloween event.

Paul @ Halloween Costumes

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites