Monday, October 20, 2008

Ika 21 ng Oktubre 2008

Can you imagine how this day feels after spending a 3-day break? Yeah, not the best..... the spirit is willing but the body is well..... uncooperative.

Blame it on my full day last Monday............ to continue that story.....

True enough, names were called already and we were back before 1:00pm. We figured we have enough time. After getting seats, we ate our cream puffs and they are so yummy that we consumed a whole pack. We continued to wait, wait, wait......

My question is why would a front line agency like them have lunch break? I know that one of the measures espoused by the anti-red tape program of the government is a non-stop provision of service to the public, in other words no noon break. Then why is this so? Anyway, I was wondering whether our names were called already. The two facilitators were so intimidating that they look more like bouncers. In fairness, they were able to keep order in that chaotic environment and people follow them especially on their being particular about keeping out of the 'sacred' area, windows 5, 6, 7 which are the approving window, cashier, and one of the photograph/signature taking areas respectively. Anyone caught loitering was subjected to sarcasm and intimidation.

Two of the bullies rather facilitators' memorable remarks were:

"Siguruhin niyong tama ang pila niyo at kawawa ang mga gwapo (Ensure you are in the proper sequence in the queue, otherwise the good-looking among you would be disadvantaged)"

"Sige bayaran niyo yun hindi niyo papel. (Go on pay documents that are not yours)"

"Itama nyo ang pila niyo at baka magkapalit palit kayo ng muka (Referring to the proper sequence in the queue, he was reminding us that we could end up with the wrong picture on our license. This happened to the officemate of hubby)."

Well, they were just being helpful in a rough way...probably from their constant dealing with public utility drivers. And why am I so keen on these things? There was nothing else to do.... that's why! My fault that I didn't bring a book. I swear getting a driver's license could indulge you in serious time wasting. I even determined the sequence of people's names being called before me. My daughter did the same.

In a while, my daughter would be called to pay at the cashier (window 6). She went back to me after paying. We continued to wait..... I strained my neck trying to hear and lip-read the facilitators as they called out names. The swarm of people in front made it hard to hear the facilitator. In time, my daughter was called at releasing area for student's permit (window 10). She went back to me after getting her brand new student's permit. I told her I would go to the other area so I can hear better. I would go back if I couldn't find a seat. I found two seats and texted her to immediately come. After we were both seated, we continued to wait, wait, wait...... My daughter propped her iPod and was oblivious to the rest of us. I remained tortured, sweating, and uncomfortable..... Soon, I was called by the facilitator for the pre-payment step which requires one to just raise his/her hand and be acknowledged........ He would remind us not so gently that there is no need to go to him, just raise your hand. Then, long wait again.....

At this point, there was an announcement that applications for new license, driver's permit, renewal were no longer accepted. the unexpected huge volume of applicants had put a strain on their system and they needed to reboot lots of times causing delay in the processing. I tried to understand the situation..... but was worried if it would affect us. I brought a car and gave them my license. What if my documents were unprocessed by day's end? I jokingly told my daughter maybe she could drive as she has a permit already. I tried to keep my hopes high..... even as one disgruntled applicant was ranting that she was there by 8:00am and she wasn't called yet.... maybe, her papers were lost.....

After a long, long while, my name was finally called for payment. Again, waiting time for release. Basing on my daughter's experience, this shouldn't take long. But it was 3:00 pm. I have an appointment to have my dog stud at 4:00pm in a not so near place. Btw, the only thing you could do while waiting is to munch or text. After sometime, i have ran out of people to text. My daughter and I were dreaming ...... if the place is air-conditioned and there is WIFI, we wouldn't mind the sooooooo long wait.

By this time, I have familiarize myself with some of my co-applicant. I even talked to one of my former students who was getting a replacement for his lost license. Finally, I was called by the releasing officer at window 9.....hip hip hurray...... I was asked if I want a plastic jacket. I couldn't care less and nodded. He handed me a pink plastic jacket..... that is being attuned to the needs of the market. After getting my brand new license, we dashed out and headed for the car.

Suddenly, I feel that my special day turned into one of those days......

I was driving home when I got a message from the owner of the stud where we were. I told him that we were headed home to get the dog and will proceed there shortly. I told him I would give him a call if we couldn't find our way.

We reached home, freshened up, gave some instructions to our helpers, got the dog, and went our way again. Good thing, my daughter agreed to go with me. Eldest daughter like me, however, is not good with directions, and we would always go around in circles whenever we set out in unfamiliar territory. On the way, my daughter secured the dog at the back seat. I told her to study the direction given by the stud owner and look for the landmarks. We were fine but after the first landmark, we were confused because the direction given said we would come to an intersection. But it was not an intersection but just a road going to the left. We took that road but after driving some distance and not seeing houses, I called the stud owner to confirm if we got his instructions right. He confirmed that I was right on target. We saw the second landmark, and then the third..... there was no direction after this. I halted and made another call, he said for me to just continue driving and I would see their village. Once inside, I didn't know which direction to take, and called one last time. I didn't hang up and he guided me until I reached his place. Thank goodness for celfones, aimless drivers like me find their way.

Once in their place, we introduced ourselves and engaged in small talk as he told me to put the dog down so she could be comfortable. His stud was already waiting and eyeing my dog. My dog who is not very friendly to strangers and strange dogs would resist the stud advances. The stud would try over and over again. The owner is a bit apprehensive about my dog although I assure him that she wouldn't bite. I told him I will keep her strained. Still, my dog wouldn't calm down after sometime so his wife gave me a muzzle. We put this on my dog and the four of us, the stud owner and his wife and my daughter and I, would help the dogs do their thing. Gosh, I didn't wish that I would assist in procreation in this life but I did. After conversing some more on dog matters, I paid the stud fee and we went home.

Along the way, I was asking my daughter if we would go to dinner tonight. I told her to text her Dad what time he would go home. As she did this, we were thinking where we would go. We have made the rounds of the best restos in our place and nothing seem to tickle my fancy that day. Then, I thought of Italianni's and my daughter said she has this coupon which would take P500 off our food bill at Italianni's. On this basis, we made a plan to coerce hubby into submitting to our chosen venue. When it seemed that hubby agreed to go out that night, the venue was suggested. Then hubby's reply was "No, it's expensive there.". I knew how to handle that..... I told her to text that it's not really that expensive and I have eaten there in the past. I also told her to text that she has a coupon worth P500 to be stricken off from our bill. Still unconvinced, he asked when I have eaten there. I said maybe a year back and a number of times too with friends. Finally, he said he would just meet us at Italianni's before we reached home. The coupon did it..... never fails for us.

When we reached home, middle daughter was on the PC while my son was watching TV upstairs. I told them to dress up. My daughters told their grandmother to dress up too. I gave instructions to the helpers once again and informed them of the dinner date. I freshened up and went down for some further instructions. Soon, everyone was ready and we set out for dinner.

It looked like my day was about to turn for the better once again......

(to be continued)

PS: Mabuti at di pa ako tinatawag ng opisyal namin at simula ngayon araw hanggang sa Huwebes ay me klase ako. Nag-email pa ang administration head namin na isubmit ang grades. Kaya tuliro na nman ako sa mga gawain ngayon araw. Di ko pa rin tapos sagutan ang reviewer, eh yun ang ituturo ko mamayang gabi. Ano ba to?

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites