Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ika 13 ng Oktubre 2008

God never intended work to become the sole focus of our lives. When it does - when it captures all our emotional energy - then work becomes an idol, a god that rules us.


I thought so...... This must explain why I always feel this way about work. I don't idolize it, certainly it's not my god! But it pays for my bills.... that's why I have to do it whether I like it or not......

Interesting day so far...... that's why this post is about three-fourths-day in the making.....

I had the day planned out until I got a text message from my officemate telling me that one of the top bosses was looking for me this morning. I had mixed feelings of anxiety and excitement. I have been secretly hounding her for a problem and she must have the answer already. On the other hand, I have been coming to work late the past months and today is no exception. I must be getting it..... Oh no.... I was thinking of excuses already..... constipation, diarrhea, migraine, family problems, marital woes, money problems,...... something believable. Or maybe, she found out I have been blogging all the time. Have I blogged about her !!!!???? She could sue me for libel.

My plan was ruined because I was supposed to be invisible this morning from my remaining JPEPA tasks so I can prepare the final exams for my class tonight. Here I am thinking of the best way to approach this Monday morning surprise as I began praying. I texted her secretary to tell her I am late and I am aware that the top official was looking for me and I'll be at the office in about 10 minutes. She confirmed that the top official was looking for me. I could feel my heartbeat go faster.... At the office, I texted her secretary that I am already available...... the nerve of me. The secretary said the top official will see me in 15 minutes.

I tried opening my email and reading stuff to calm me down. After some time, I went to the office of the top official. It was rather anti-climactic as I was expecting her secretary to usher me into her room. But she was outside looking for some documents and I was the one surprised. She told me to go to an empty room. Oh boy, am I in trouble!!!!???? Why, I serve this office for a good part of my life for pete's sake (as my son would say)! I waited and waited for her..... after 10 minutes, she wasn't there yet....15 minutes.... nothing....20 minutes..... going...... I needed to go to the toilet. I told her secretary. I went back to my office and texted the secretary to tell me when the top official is available. I got no reply. So I went back to the office. The top official was outside and saw me. She was rather in a Monday mode as she looked busy. But since I have been gone and back, she was forced to attend to me.

She was straight-forward as she asked me about what I am currently doing and my just concluded work. Then, she asked for my background. She said she wants me to work on some priority projects, something on cement prices and competitiveness. Whew...... and I thought....... I asked about the work and how soon it is needed. And it looks like I am going to have another roller coaster ride as I was getting off one....

I went back to my office and worked on my final exams during my lunch. I was in the thick of it when a student called asking if the exams can be reset for next week. She and another student are going abroad tomorrow which is the reason why they are supposed to have the exams tonight. She told me they are both going to be back next week. Fine, I guess. I was perplexed and hurriedly preparing a final examination was the last thing I wanted to do. So i told her ok and gave Tuesday as the new schedule. Then, another student texted me saying if she can take the exam ahead of the others as it is her birthday next week. I told her I don't want to do two sets of exams. I told her to talk with her other classmates and pick a day next week except Monday and Thursday. After sometime, we all agreed on a Wednesday schedule.

I am almost at the end of the day, a bit exhausted, but didn't seem to accomplish much. Perhaps, I have too much expectation of what today would bring..........

PS: Kahapon pagkatapos ng misa, sinabi ng pari na pwede na namin pakawalan ang mga paru-paro na binili namin para sa isang makabuluhang dahilan, nakalimutan ko kung ano. Binigyan kami ng tatlong paru-paro kapalit ang bayad o donasyon na P50. Ibinigay ko ang isa sa anak ko at iniuwi ang isa para ang bunso ko ang magpakawala. Maari daw humingi ng kahilingan namin na dadalhin ng paru-paro kung saan man sabi ng nagbenta. Natutuwa ako sa paru-paro kaya ako bumili. Parang gusto ko rin paniwalaan na maatutupad nga ang kahilingan pag pinakawalan ang paru-paro.

Heto ako ngayon naghihintay kung kailan matutupad ang aking kahilingan....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when I was reading the part about your meeting, I was literally at the edge of my seat and my heart poundedlike crazy. especially the blogging part. that's good di pa nya alam. di kita isusumbong, promise. hehehe.

brainchild said...

promise ha.... walang sumbungan hehehe. mabait naman tong boss na ito kaya kahit iblog ko siya eh panay padulas, este papuri yun hehehe

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites