Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ika 2 ng Abril 2009: Day of Reckoning Coming from MD's Dinner Party

Today is the day that things should get done as planned....

Last night, we had MD's birthday dinner at Sophia's Mediterranean Deli something new once more. Hubby actually scouted for a place last week and gave it as one of MD's option. The celebrant has the choice of the resto.

We arrived at about the same time at Sophia's. I came from the office. Hubby fetched the kids and MIL at home. Prior to this, MD was surprised by her friends who brought cake and party favors. Instantly, they had a party. ED had to do an emergency purchase of pizza to feed MD's friends. ED and MS were going to the mall to buy a gift for MD telling her that they were buying a gift for our birthday dog, Moshi.

Unfamiliar territory brings out the adventurous spirit in us. Hubby and I are not very knowledgeable about Mediterranean cuisine. I had tried it once or twice but my companion placed the order. Sophia's has the usual entree, pasta, and pizza.... but we wanted something new. I remember eating something wrapped in a pita bread but does not know what it's called. I would learn it's called gyros. We took suggestions from the server modifying it to consider the kids' tastes. After careful contemplation, we ordered combination pizza of arabiatta and four cheese, seafoods pasta, and osso buco. Each ordered his or her own drink. We are familiar with the osso buco because I cooked that once from the recipe of Giada De Laurentis.

The pizza was the first to arrived. It was gone in the wink of an eye. Then, the osso buco followed by the pasta. We all partook of our dinner. The verdict...... There was a mixed review on the dishes. ED and Hubby liked the pasta and the osso buco. MD was not commenting which indicate she did not like it very well. MS was not served his favorite dish of chicken and was forced to eat the pasta. He didn't eat much. MIL didn't like it. I also did not like our meal so much. It was far from my expectation. The server said their osso buso is a must dish but I think my version tasted better with its grilled veggies sidings. The veggie sidings that they served us was merely steamed beans, carrots, and potatoes.

We had to have dessert then. The server suggested their pudding which she said is another must try. MS ordered tiramisu. MD ordered mango crepe. I took a look at the pudding and added a piece to our order. We all dug in when the desserts arrived. The pudding was the best........ the silver lining to overcast skies. Chef Mervyn Whitfield, the hands-on owner, sent us off showing us his appreciation. Outside, we had to take pictures for posterity. Given the good service we had and the very yummy pudding, Sophia's might get a repeat visit from us. Next time, we are going to order right.

This morning, I was still reeling from the dinner last night as I did my initial preparation for our trip tomorrow. I picked up the ingredients for the dinuguan and our clean laundry and gave a new batch of clothes to wash to the laundry.

Disaster struck this morning as my pc was down after our MIS provided their periodic maintenance and clean-up yesterday. I wanted to curse but what could that do.... Our staff and myself went after the MIS personnel several times. I need to access an office file and I need to make a quiz and a lecture during break! Finally, help arrived and temporary relief was provided. I could now open my files and other applications. MIS personnel promised to go back tomorrow to scan and rid my pc of virus...... which is just right timing because I will be on leave.

PS: Umpisa na ng pagkapraning dahil sa byahe bukas. Binigyan ko na ng kanya-kanyang gawain ang mga kinauukulan. Sana naman ay magawa ayon sa aking inaasahan. Dapat din pabalik na bukas ang kasambahay galing sa kanyang bakasyon. Nawa'y maging ligtas ang byahe niya.

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites