Saturday, April 4, 2009

Ika 4 ng Abril 2009: Rural HK

Today, we have been exposed to another side of this bustling and progressive nation. This has been planned even before we set foot here. Dayap said she is having a barbecue party with her churchmates and wanted to know if we wanted to come. She said it is ok if we don't want to. I said yes without much thought. After all, our tour is a very short one and there was no really intention to go shopping. We might as well try something else. I was also thinking what it would be like to go to a farm in HK.

When we arrived last night, Dayap wasn't sure yet we would go. She said it might rain and the farm wuld be muddy and all. She hasn't really prepared anything for the party.

I was on the laptop when Dayap woke up. She told me we will go to the barbecue party. She and I went to the market to buy meat for the barbecue she will bring to the party. Reaching the wet market, I could feel my tummy grumbling..... probably from eating too much salad. I asked Dayap if I could just take a seat while she shops. She said yes and I was left behind. I saw a bench filled with women talking....... turns out.....they are Pinays..... They will converge and engage in silly talks..... As I approached the bench and Dayap went ahead with her shopping, one of the Pinays would asked me if I was preggy. I said no. She would further asked why I have a big tummy and insinuate that I am preggy. I cut her off saying I am not pregnant and trained my sight elsewhere showing irritation on her being nosy. She probably wanted to engage me in a conversation for me to detail the circumstances behind my supposed pregnancy. Maybe, she wanted to hear that I have been impregnated by my master..... nosy people.......This probably explains why Tsao would call us a nation of servants..... This is the picture he sees of Filipinas working as DH on their day off..... They converge in corners, talking and laughing loudly, and engaging every Pinoy they in silly talks. I go with the occasionally, "Hi Kabayan!" and would even wave or greet back when in a foreign land but I mind that some of our kababayans may think they can intrude in one's personal life just because they happened to be two people of the same race in another land. I completely ignored their group even when I was seated beside them and that probably shut her up. Dayap would soon emerged from the wet market.

When we came back to the apartment, Dayap and I prepared a breakfast of sausage, bread, and puto. Each would have his or her own beverage according to preference. We all ate breakfast heartily. We should as we have a big day ahead.

Immediately after breakfast, we prepared one at a time in taking his or her turn in the bathroom. As soon as everyone was ready, we set out...First stop is 7-11 to load the spare octopus cards Dayap lent us for easier transaction with our public conveyances. This octopus card is a cool gadget being a rechargeable contactless stored value smart card used to transfer electronic payments in online or offline systems in Hong Kong. Dayap has three spare cards and my three kids used these in riding buses and trains and even for buying at convenience stores, supermarkets, and vending machines. MS used it to purchase an ice cream cone. The kids actually enjoyed the convenience afforded by the octopus card and think that we should have the same system back home.

First, we took the train and changed twice, I think. We got off at the University station and took a minibus there. HK is a mountainous area but the urban setting is clearly distinguished from the rural scene as would be evident as we were approaching the farm. From the mountainous and concrete mix, the scene would shift to greenery. We arrived at the farm around lunch time. It is an farm engaging in organic method with domesticated animals like pigs, cows, dog, birds, fishes, and turtles. There was even a talking macau. The farm is being managed by one of Dayap's churchmates and is affiliated with a school. Students are given the privilege of touring the farm. The host gave the kids a mini tour of the farm.

As there were still other expected guests, the women prepared food. The pastor's wife was taking care of the barbecue. The kids were spread all over the place playing and viewing the animals. People would come in in trickles.... As the party is potluck, each family brought their specialty dish. Dayap shared that these recipes are packaged into a recipe book compiled nicely.

There were enough people by the time we had lunch. My kids would be introduced to the chicken biryani prepared by Dayap's friend from India which my two girls love. Food was plentiful......... assorted salads, pasta, barbecue of all sorts, a curry dish, lumpiang shanghai (Dayap's share along with pork barbecue) and various desserts. There was also this indian dessert with the Punjab trademark.... sweeter than usual but delicious. For people like us with sweet tooth, dessert is a must.

After lunch, there would be group talks while both kids and adults continue tour of the place. Some were cleaning up....... At some point, a game of dodge ball was suggested..... The proponents of the game explained the rules. We were divided into 4 teams... The object of the game is to hit the goalee with a sock full of white powder. My team was the first to compete with another team. ED, MS, and Dayap's team would compete with MD's team. The winners from both games will have another round. Whoever wins would emerged as the overall winner. Before the championship round, the two losing teams played another round..... to determine the ultimate loser according to one. My team emerged as the overall winner...Generally, it was a fun game with lots of running and jumping and throwing. The friendly competition would later turn into a raucus as the more competitive players would slug it out. When it was over, everyone was tired and hungry. We all headed for the buffet table for drinks and food.

From the eating area, ED and MD were among an array of pinwheels taking pictures of a scarecrow. The caretaker would bring in a box full of freshly picked lettuce and the women would distribute it among themselves. I would soon follow ED and MD. Soon, Dayap and some of her churchmates would pick strawberries, tomatoes, and calamansi. My girls would love doing this. Being the official photographer, I would click away as colors blend nicely in the vast greenery.

A small creek would bear tadpoles. My girls would be delighted. It would also be my chance to see tadpoles after a long, long time. MS would still be engaged in play with Dayap's son and his other friends.

After our strawberry and veggies picking, we went back to the refreshment area and pick up something to eat. About this time, everyone was preparing to go home too. The women would be packing their favorite dish in ziplock bags to bring home. Dayap brought biryani and some stuffed bread.

In time, we would bade each other goodbye. We went to the main road to catch the same minibus. We briefly stopped at a mall where we got off for a toilet break. Then, we headed for the MRT which took us to Dayap's place. We walked home.

Once home, some started freshening up as Dayap and I started preparing dinner..... actually reheating dinner. The first batch of dinuguan brought forth from the Philippines was served. I prepared a salad of organic lettuce from the farm, cucumber, tomatoes, grapes, and orange. Leftover puto was also served. Dessert was pastillas donut.

Dayap and I cleaned up after dinner with a little help from MD and ED. By this time, the kids were so sleepy even as they took turns on the laptop. One by one, they hit the sack one. ED. MD, and I queued for PC usage. Dayap's son used it for awhile. We took advantage of loading the photos here since it takes only a few minutes. At home, it wold take a lifetime to upload all the pictures we took. ED and MD would soon sleep. I continued to work on the laptop. In a while, I have to hit the sack as well.

Goodnight all! I wonder what's in store for us tomorrow?

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites