Sunday, April 12, 2009

Ika 13 ng Abril 2009: Scurrying to Meet an Obligation

That was how this morning was to me....

A financial obligation fell due on Saturday. Last week, as we know, had so much work breaks for me. On the day I reported to work, I was too lazy to do something about that obligation knowing that the check won't be deposited till this morning. I was also confident that my banker friend can be relied upon at the time of need.

I was dead wrong.... I must be a sadist doing this to myself.... but I always like the excitement of cramming and to my credit, I always deliver...... Let me tell you how it turned out today...

While at home preparing for work, I called up my banker friend to tell her that I am depositing money in her account in another bank which she will deposit in turn to my account in her bank. Her bank branch is nearer to my office while the nearest branch of my bank is a jeepney ride away. Well, she wouldn't pick up her phone when I called her. I called her other celfone and still no answer. I wanted to call her on the landline before I left home. But I forgot all about it due to numerous instructions I had to give.

Once I was at the van, I called my friend again expecting there would be no hitches. But no.... this will be the first hitch of the day. She picked up this time. When I told her, I'll deposit money in her account as usual, she said she ran out of check and will just have to do balance transfer via the ATM. Her son, however, is enrolling for summer classes and has to withdraw money from her other account. She has to use her account for balance transfer for her son's requirement and there is a ceiling. My request cannot, therefore, be accommodated at this time...... boink. That means I had to go to the bank branch nearest me. Ok, ok, I get it...... I am irresponsible....

The next issue is the source of funds. I would have to withdraw money from two banks. Again, I wasn't able to withdraw money last week. The ATM in our building is offline. I don't like using other ATMs because it has a limit per withdrawal and a service fee is collected per withdrawal. I was thinking we would be going out in the weekend, I could just pass by a bank. But no..... we actually did not go out until Easter Sunday. Since my payroll bank happened to be one of those banks that comes rarely in places, we did not pass by one on the way home last night. Still ok, I thought...... The ATM at our building could be online when I report to work today. But here's the hitch.... it's not enough to pay off my loan.... I need to withdraw money too from my other bank where I draw salary from my teaching job. I used an old account for this purpose and it's a passbook account..... Ok, ok, I get it..... it's really silly not to make use of ATM card these days..... But hey, this account prevents me from carelessly getting money every time I want it. It's inconvenient to actually go to a bank, write on a deposit or withdrawal slip, line up, and deal with a real person, not a machine...... but it actually allowed me to save up and use the funds for emergencies like this.

Nearing my office, I was kinda praying that the ATM machine was online. I got off just before our building and I was stretching my neck to see if the green online sign was hanging. When I reached the machine, it was online..... ya'y. I inquired before withdrawing and found out that the money credited to my account was short from what I expected. I still have not gotten my payroll slip. Oh well.... I emptied my account.

I went to the office and fixed my stuff. After settling down, I went out again to complete my transaction. I went to my other bank praying that enough money has been credited to my other account so that the shortfall can be covered. Last time, this bank account fell short of my expectation. That's the thing about drawing your salary from the bank, you get surprises at times and never know how much has been deducted from your already meager salary until you see your balance. I can never correctly predict how much I get from payday to payday in my teaching job. The cut-off is different. I never bother ask our administrator cum finance officer. To me, money is just incidental to the satisfaction I get in teaching. I would be a hypocrite if I say I don't need the money. I do and it helps on those times.... It's just that it's not what matters most .....

I went to the other bank and asked the friendly and good-looking teller to update my balance with shudders in my chest. I went to the form section and filled up a withdrawal form leaving the amount blank. The teller handed me my passbook. When I looked at it.... there was enough to fill up the short fall...... ya'y. I got a smaller pay during the last payday but a bigger one this payday........ because of the cut-off thing...... I withdrew money and bade the friendly staff and manager goodbye.

I would to the final bank to settle my obligation. I recall seeing a signage of a branch of the bank a block away from my office last week. I thought that a branch was being set up. I hope and prayed that it was already opened by this time. Anyway, if it's not, I can still take a ride in front of this branch. I was half running and walking because I was afraid that the check would be deposited anytime soon. When I reached the building and went inside, I found out that the branch is already operating.......... was I delighted about this turn of event. Now, I don't have to bother my banker friend who heads the bank with my small-time transactions. Because really she has better things to do than take care of the small needs of her friend..... but she does it for me anyway. When I came in, there was only a handful of us. I finished my transaction in no time. When I checked my balance, the check has not been deposited yet.... another ya'y....

I went back to my office feeling relieved that my obligation has been settled once again...... Now, I can face my real day!

PS: Bwisit na bwisit ako kagabi sa isang traffic enforcer na nagkukubli sa Julia Vargas St. pagkatawid ng ADB Ave. Para abangan ang mga motorista na kokotongan.

Mga alas nuwebe na non..... Hinahanap namin ang building na dadalhan ng anak ko ng laptop na ipapagawa niya at ituturo sana ang pagsakay. Nang biglang parahin kami ng medyo bata pang traffic enforcer na ito na nakaitim na jacket. Huminto ang asawa ko at lumapit ang traffic enforcer at hinigi ang lisensiya niya. Nakikiusap ang asawa ko habang pinapaliwanag ng nanghuhuli ang violation niya na ang multa daw ay P2,500 pero gagawan daw kami ng pabor na hindi na siya magseseminar at ibababab na lang sa kung magkanong halaga. Patuloy sa pakikiusp ang asawa ko habang nakatingin lang kaming lahat.

Pagkatapos ay nagsabi ang asawa ko na baka nman daw pwedeng wag na kaming tiketan. Sabi ng enforcer, "kayo ho". Nag-iinit na ang ulo ko sa puntong ito at sinabihan ko yun asawa ko na ipakita niya yun business card ng isang dating opisyal na ibinigay sa kanya. Hindi ako pinapakinggan ng asawa ko kaya ako ang naglabas ng card at sinabihan ko na kilala namin si....... Hindi naman gusto ko lang magyabang pero kinsan kailangan din masopla ang mga ganitong opisyales. Mali din siguro yun paraan ko. Pero pag amado ang alaban mo, kailangan din gamitan mo ng ibang paraan. Humingi ng pera panlagay ang asawa ko sa akin ana ayoko sana ibigay. Pero mukang yun na ang pinili niyang solusyon kaya binigay ko na rin. Nasabi pa ng enforcer na sa pagtanggap daw ba niya ay wala daw ba siyang magiging problema.... ang kapal talaga ng pagmumuka. Ang asawa ko naman ay sumagot na hindi naman niya kilala ang enforcer..... hay naku..... di na ako kumibo at kaharap ang mga anak ko at ang pamilya ng kapatid ko.

Ito yun mga bagay na magkaiba kami ng pananaw ng asawa ko. Sabi niya kasalanan naman daw niya at di naman daw ako ang maiistorbo. Pero sa kin humingi ng pera..... hay naman talaga..... Ako kung kasalanan ko magpapatiket ako at babayaran ko kung ano ang dapat na multa. Pero kadalasan kasi wala naman talagang kasalanan ang motorista, lalo na yun mga ordinaryong tao lang na gaya namin .... at gusto lang talagang mangotong ng mga tiwaling alagad ng batas na ito.... At habang me nagpapakotong, lalong iiral ang kultura ng pangongotong.

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites