Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My School Boy

MS texted me last night telling me he needs detergent bar, dishwashing liquid, sponge, and dirty clothing for his summer classes as I was on my way home. I texted him to tell our helper. When I got home, I asked our helper if he told her about the things MS needs..... and he didn't tell our helper. MS was asleep by that time. Hay....... seems I am back to being the mom of a school boy. And he would be in secondary school next year.

This morning, I had to tell our helper to prepare his stuff as MS prepared for school without a care in the world. He expects that things are ready when he needs it. I was often told by a number of mothers, friends and acquiantances, that there is a huge difference in how a boy and a girl handle school life. Girls are seen to be more responsible and would take care of their needs at a young age. Boys, on the other hand, are seen as irresponsible, immature, and at worst lazy as far as schooling is concerned. I am not sure if I have to accept this a fact backed up by studies and empirical evidences. But I will add myself to the growing numbers of mothers with the same observation.

I have two girls, both very responsible and respectable students since their primary years. And here is my boy, about to be ushered into higher learning, and still dependent on us for his needs. In his elementary years, I would always check on his things and what he needs. I would then task him to be responsible for the things he needs little by little. Towards the end of the school year, he would cope. Still, he depends a lot on us. He would tell us what he needs for school instead of preparing these stuff himself. That is good enough though compared to his indifferent self in his younger years when he does not even know if they have things to bring in school. His sisters would always complain why we fix his stuff when we let them take care of their needs at an even younger age. I won't have an answer and wiggle out of the situation by saying he's still a baby..... and her sisters would frown on that.

My boy is not a spoiled brat. None of my kids are. Admittedly, he still has a long way to go before becoming independent. He just probably fits the stereotype of a school boy..... He's a work-in progress with development slowing down at some points. I am working hard on leading him to the road to independence. But when he does become his own man, I would most likely miss my school boy.........

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites