Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ika 6 ng Agosto 2008

I wanted to leave early but as usual the barrage of homey concerns that I just couldn't delegate for some reason kept me home longer than expected. Just like Eagle's classic "I Can't Tell You Why", I can hear myself singing
"Everytime I try to walk away, something makes me turn around and stay, I can't tell you why, I can't tell you why, I can't tell you why.........."
. My helpers are probably wondering why I had to stay to look after their work when they do it on a day-to-day basis. I am also wondering....... Perhaps, this will help explain it My OCness.

My plan to leave early once again ended in vain. Riding my preferred mode of transportation which is the reliable van at the terminal, I went to the office. It didn't matter that I was almost pinned to death by my seatmate, a plus-sized lady pressing me against the door and occupying probably three-fourths of the seat. I had to be creative in sitting so as we can both fit. You can imagine how it feels to be trapped with nowhere to go. I managed to stay alive when I reached my destination. Good for me because I will be attending an important event in the afternoon.

I will be part of the delegation who will witness the sponsorship speech of Senator Miriam Santiago at the Senate of the Japan-Philippines Economic Partnership Agreement (JPEPA). It took a long while before this bill could maybe finally see some light as various groups are opposed to some provisions. While it is the responsibility of every Filipino to protect their sovereignty and look out for the national interest, some opposition groups have taken their fight too far in criticizing every bill, agreement, proposal, action, pronouncement and just about everything about the government. The Senate itself was hard to convince. It took us, proponents of the bill, countless days and nights preparing documents and proofs to show the merits of the agreement and that we are prepared to handle the outcomes once the agreement is ratified. Anyway, I worked on the framework of competitiveness and safety nets for affected sectors of this agreement. I cannot say it is a perfect agreement, nothing is perfect in this world. But there is enough leeway to improve it once the agreement is in place. Maybe, we haven't really forgotten that we were once brutalized by the Japanese Imperial Army. This has probably scarred us for life that we can't move on in the era of peace. It is just unfortunate that we, the ordinary employees, are also affected by the criticisms directed towards an unpopular regime. Wholesale persecution hurts when we are just doing our jobs. In this day where boundaries know no bounds, we can not live alone. I am crossing my fingers that JPEPA will finally be ratified by the Senate.

I would also learn that a friend's mom died today. I should pay my last respect at her wake. I hope to make it with so many things on my plate right now. It goes without saying that friendship is most needed in times like this.

And it looks like this week is turning my life upside down once more.

PS: Kaninang nakasakay ako sa jeep, me tatlong kabataan na nag-uusap ng kanilang karanasan sa pagiging call center agents. Masaya pag-uusap nila na me bahid ng pagkainis sa mga kliyenteng nakakausap nila. Ilan beses na rin ako nakasabay sa mga ganitong mangagawa, karaniwang kabataan na mga 20 anyos pataas.

Malaking pagbabago naidulot ng call center sa ating kalakaran. Nung panahon ko, mga
pharmaceutical companies ang takbuhan ng mga bagong nagtapos ng kolehiyo. Alam ko kasi naging isang medical representative ako nung araw. Kung di pharmaceutical, sales and marketing sa iba't ibang kumpanya ang karaniwan mga trabaho na pwedeng pasukan.

Hindi lang bilang isang karagdagang industriya na nagbigay ng trabaho ang pagbabagong idinulot ng call center, naapektuhan din niya ang ibang negosyo. Dahil sa call center, nagkaron ng mga supporting industry gaya ng pagbebenta ng computers at mga aksesorya nito at pagdedesenyo ng sistema at pinalawak din nito ang ibang industriya tulad ng animation, software development, accounting services, transcription, at iba pang IT-enabled services. Kahit ang real estate sector ay naapektuhan dahil ang mga tinatayong gusali ngayon ay dapat na IT-ready na. Nandyan ang mga fastfood at convenience stores na bukas na magdamag bilang tugon sa pangangailangan ng call center agents.

Maraming nagawang kabutihan sa ekonomiya ang mga call centers, pero kung susuriin natin mabuti meron din di mabuting idinudulot ito lalong lalo na sa mga call center agents. Karaniwan mas mataas ang sahod bilang isang call center agent kesa iba pang trabaho para sa mga naguumpisa pa lang. Maganda ito dahil naitataguyod nila ang sarili at ang kanilang pamilya. Hindi naman mahirap na trabaho ito basta magaling ka mag-inglis at makaunawa. Ang mahirap dito ay ang pakikitungo sa mga kausap na karaniwang ay reklamo ang dahilan sa pagtawag sa call center. At ito ay me epekto sa pag-iisip at emosyon ng isang call center agent kung sa araw-araw ay ganito ang haharapin niya. At bilang tugon sa ganitong uri ng trabaho, me mga call center agents na dinadaanan sa paninigarilyo at pag-inom ang kanilang saloobin. Pwedeng sabihin na trabaho lang, walang personalan. Subali't di maiwasan maapektuhan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amor, thanks for dropping by my tent. I sense how engage you are with life and with those you care for. i got the impression you are a keen observer of life and a storyteller. dalaw ako lagi.add na rin kita sa blogoases ko.

Anonymous said...

Great insight in the life of a call center agent. Minsan yung mga natawag para mag reklamo ay nalilimutang mga tao rin ang kausap nila. At yung CC Agent ang dahilan ng kanilang mga problema. Kaya tuloy nasisigawan at namumura sila. Kaya siguro malaki ang sahod dahil alam ng kumpanya ang stress ng kanilang trabaho.

brainchild said...

@dfish

Thanks dfish. Life is well-lived when one is fully engaged with it. There are just so many things that can be told in the mundane and ordinary. Blogging proves to be a good medium. I simply make it possible.

@bloggity

sabi nga dito negative career ang pagiging CC agent. kaya lang mahirap maghanap ng trabaho. at nagkataon nman nasa call center yun oportunidad. salamat sa pgdalaw mahalia.

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites