Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ika 13 ng Agosto 2008


A tiny yellow butterfly greeted me as I was walking down the street on my way to work. This was not the first time. In the previous days, there were white butterflies and even some dragonflies. Last weekend, a white butterfly with black patterns was in my zen garden. I can't explain why but these tiny creatures seem to me like pleasant reminders of the beauty of life. It is no coincidence that presence of butterflies and maybe even dragonflies speaks of good air quality. These creatures don't thrive in polluted environment. MIL, a gardener, shared that butterflies only live for a day after coming out of their cocoons. What a tragic reality for these lovely creatures of God. But that is their purpose in life.

I am also reminded of my childhood when my parents hauled us kids to our grandparents' place in the province during summer vacation. There we experience the charm of a simple life with our cousins where pleasures came cheap. We would chase dogs and chickens and climb trees in the farm. We would catch dragonflies and all sorts of bugs and that made our day. We would paint each other's faces with plant sap till we itch or hurt. We jumped from the bridge to the river and joined the carabaos taking a respite from hard labor. We would swim without care till our skins turned a luscious golden brown and would tease one another on being 'negra' or 'ulikba' laughing our hearts out until one of us cries and calls out for our 'lola'. That signaled the end of the day's play. So simple yet it paints a poignant memory of my past which brings a certain yearning.

Maybe, I have been so caught up with life's travesties of what is essential. I have been running the rat race for so long that I have forgotten how fresh air feels like. I have to sometimes tread perilous paths in juggling family and work.

I should be happy about the presence of butterflies in my place for my children's sake. They could probably never experience the kind of life we had in the past. I can tell them about it but there's no comparison to living it. They have an amazing modern fast-paced life with all the amenities and conveniences brought by technology. All these pale in comparison to the life of hard work and perseverance imparted by the past generation where nothing comes easy in earning one's place under the sun.

With my hectic week, these butterflies should serve as gentle reminder of the essential on my way to work, . The classic The Little Prince famous quote sums it all.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eyes.


PS: At habang sinasabi ko to, nagbabadya na naman ang isang mahabang araw. Pagdating ko sa opisina, isang sulat ang nasa lamesa ko galing sa isang mataas na opisyal na nagsasaad ng isang maselang trabaho sa araw na ito. Masyadong kinain ng trabaho ang oras ko sa linggong to. Di maiwasang me mapabayaan sa ibang parte ng buhay. Kelan ba matatapos to? Gusto ko ng simple at balanseng buhay lang.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.......... Agatha Christie (1890-1976)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rivers? Yes, talagang palaban ako dyan noong panahon ng kabataan ko, kung sino ang pinakamatagal mag-stay underwater. Brings me back to my childhood rural days full of fun and farm work, too. But there is something ironic about the way you put in contrast the simple beauty of butterflies and the burden of your work. Napapa-reflect lang ako...

brainchild said...

sayang nga di na maexperience ng mga anak natin yun naexperience natin. you also never fail to make me reflect with your comment. The contrast is intentional. Sometimes, life feels like a deadweight. In the whirlwind of our daily lives, we take for granted things like butterflies, bugs, the beauty of nature. Noticing them is like getting new eyes....... validate that I am still alive.

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites