Friday, August 29, 2008

Ika 29 ng Agosto 2008

I took that long-dreamed leave of absence today knowing that the next JPEPA hearing will be next week. I actually planned on taking a leave or go undertime today because I want to avail of the Mallwide sale at SM Southmall. Last night, I decided I would just take the whole day off so as I can have a make-class for my missed Tuesday class last week.

This is the second time I took time off work to take advantage of the sale at SM Southmall. As a SM Advantage cardholder, I am entitled to an additional 10% discount within the first two hours after store opens at 10:00am. I have been scouting for my would-be purchases composed mostly of bed linens and comforters since last weekend and I had several items reserved by my favorite saleslady. I don't buy these items unless these are on sale. I was actually excited about this sale because shopping for home items is one of my few indulgences.

This morning I asked my 83-year old MIL if she wanted to come with me and she was delighted. Yes, MIL is already a National Treasure. Her father reached 105 years before he died of very old age. Before his death, he was the oldest living GSIS pensioner. Some TV station crew visited him when he was alive and he was featured in a show about People and in Philippine Daily Inquirer. Her father's age was based on estimate. Hubby said that his grandfather's birth certificate is in Spanish. Btw, they are Ilokanos who are known to live a long life because of their eating habits and their ways. MIL's family hails from Santa Cruz, Ilocos Sur. I think she also has Ifugao ancestry. My late FIL is from Vigan, Ilocos Sur, known for its old ancestral houses.

After everyone left, I prepared for my shopping adventure. We left at 9:30am even if the store opens at 10:00am because they usually let you in early. MIL's travel companion/assistant came with us. Goody I thought as we can have teamwork in doing our shopping.

The security people were already letting people in when we arrived at the mall. I could feel the rush as I headed to the houseware section at the basement. But since MIL couldn't walk fast I had to keep pace. When we reached the houseware section, I grabbed a few scented oils for my burners before I ran to the bed linen section to get my items. I left the oils at the counter and I was the first in line in that counter. A queue started to form as soon as I started it. The programmed discount, however, starts at exactly 10:00am so everyone was waiting. I told MIL and her companion to look around and just bring their items to me if they find something they like. I went to the bed linen section and looked for my favorite saleslady and she wasn't there yet. Her colleague started looking for my items but couldn't find all. I was getting it one by one and filing the items at the counter. Finally, favorite saleslady arrived and gave me all my items. The discount is still not in effect. I made another round and grabbed a few more items.

Finally, the cashier told me that the discount can already be availed of. I wasn't paying much attention as the cashier was entering my items. I paid with my credit card. I looked at the tape receipt and noticed that I did not get the entire 10% discount on the total amount as what was advertised in their poster. I called the attention of the cashier but she could just meekly reply that the discounts were already programmed. The other customers began taking interest and one noted the same problem and agreed with me. The other customers were getting anxious because of the long queue. I told the cashier's assistant to call their supervisor. When the supervisor arrived, she took my receipt and sales slip. She didn't say anything about the mistake and told me they would just reenter the items. I said what about the past transaction which was approved. She said that she would have it voided. Two other customers were also assisted on the unreflected discount. The difference in the amounts of the previous and corrected calculation is about P1,400.00. Imagine if I didn't call their attention. I told the other customers to check their receipts . I also informed them of the presence of a DTI Consumer Care Booth in the basement of the mall. Consumer complaints may also be filed online through the following link: DTI Consumer Complaint or by calling DTI Direct at (02) 751-3330.

We did some more shopping. Then, decided to take lunch at Red Ribbon courtesy of MIL. Using her senior citizen card, we were able to avail of more discounts. It was about 12:15pm when we decided to go home. My class is scheduled at 1:00pm and I couldn't make it. I called one of my students to ask her to inform the other students to reset it to next week.

Whoever said that the Philippines is a poor country should have seen the line at Southmall. Customers including myself in a tropical country buying comforters and bed linens. Funny huh...... but please let us be. In time, I know I bear the consequence of my tinny, weeny splurge. It's on SALE. Yeah, the old Pinoy alibi for guilt purchase. Filipinos must really be fixated on sales and discounts that we tend to forget our budgets. This must explain the fact that Filipino's propensity to save is negative. That means we already are spending what we are yet to earn. I bought these items on credit, right?

At home, I decided to take a look at my purchases after that shopping high still savoring my sweet success. I was doing due diligence too and wanted to make sure that all items were accounted for. Then, I would see this Canadian bed linen set whose price was switched. I know because I checked out this item before and I had it reserved. There is a price difference of P400. I will be back at Southmall this evening to fetch my daughter coming from school and to take care of this deception. Perhaps I should make good my threat and just let this establishment get it......... It's about time Pinoy consumers fight for their rights and get value for their money.

PS: Weekend na naman kaya masaya na naman ako. Masarap talaga na nasa bahay lang kahit madami gagawin. Oras na pala ng pagpapalit ng mga kurtina. Pagod na naman ako. Pero matutuwa rin ako at magkakaron na naman ng bagong anyo ang bahay namin.

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites