Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ika 27 ng Pebrero 2009: Neighbors Galore

Coming out of the house, I alternated between walking and running to catch the tricycle waiting at the end of the road. My neighbor, Chatterbox 1 was already inside. I saw her and her husband flagged the tricycle. I smiled at her husband when our paths crossed as I was nearing the tricycle.

I was hesitant to actually ride the tricycle upon seeing that Chatterbox 1 was already inside.... But what the heck! Besides, I am in a hurry. I started the conversation thinking I could probably dictate the pace. I asked where she was going. She said she's going to Manila......... Yes! So it's just the tricycle trip I have to endure....Yay! I don't know how she managed to 'steal' dictating the pace of the conversation but she did...... right under my nose @$%^&(*&^#. Suddenly, we were talking about household helpers. I think she said that before she had a household full of helpers. It was so easy getting good helpers then. To this, I agreed. She said that times are different now when good helpers are a rare breed. Again, I agreed. She continued that while her children were younger, they had like five servants, one each for the children, one laundrywoman, one as her right-hand woman, and another one for whatever. Wow, I'm blown away..... I suddenly feel the chills under the hot, glaring sun. It's not like she's not capable of hiring five servants. Maybe, she is..... But she says it like they have a kingdom and they are the royalty in a not so subtle way. Out of courtesy, I just let her enjoy her story.

I pulled out my purse to pay for our fare as I would soon get off at the shuttle terminal. She was actually already holding a P20 bill and told me she'd take care of it. I was insisting I'd pay for it. The last time we rode in a tricycle, she paid for our fare. She was more insistent so I let Her Royal Highness pay for our fare. I happily get off the tricycle bading Chatterbox 1 goodbye.

One van was just dispatched when I came in. I was riding the next van. I decided to sit in front as I want ultimate comfort when my whole body is supported by a mass of something, not sitting half an ass on the gap between two seats. Besides, I was passenger two and I should take that rare chance of sitting on a choice seat. The passengers started getting in. I saw a neighbor get off their car going straight for the van. The seat beside me was still unoccupied and I was thinking of calling her but having second thoughts. She and I connect whenever we talk talking about work and life in general. I guess we subscribe to the same value system that is why we click ...... but I want to sleep. Another passenger would open the door as I was pondering the thought. I let her sit in the middle. My neighbor and I would acknowledge each other as she entered the van. I would see another acquaintance getting inside the van.

I have been feeling woozy since last night and I wanted to sleep in the van on the way home. I saw a neighbor whose children are schoolmates and busmates of my two girls seated at the back of the van. I sat beside her as that was the only option since people ahead of me were waiting for the back to be filled up before getting in the van ...... and that was the start of a very long talk. I would learn that they have also started building their dream house. That's nice. We would compare notes on the experience. I invited her to my home in the weekend so she could get some ideas. She also wants to see my pups as they are thinking of buying one. The visit would serve two purposes. I'd be happy if they will get my pup because I will get to see it.

I let my body relax and enjoy the feeling of sitting comfortably on a whole seat. I looked behind trying to see if Chatterbox 2 might be behind me. Seeing nobody who resembles her, I fell into a deep slumber on this Friday morning on my way to work.

PS: Kagabi nagkita kami sa mall ng kaklase kong si Modesta. Kaklase ko siya sa high school at pareho din kami ng eskwelahan at kurso sa college pero di kami magkaklase. Pauwi na ako at papunta daw siyang Landmark Department Store. Ako tumawag sa kanya. At sa gitna ng Glorietta nagkwentuhan kami ng buhay buhay. Matagal din. Napag-usapan ang trabaho, reunion, mga kaklase, at pati aso.

Matiyagang mag-aaral si Modesta. Simula pa high school kasama niya ang mga matatalino. Di ko lang matandaan kung magkaklase kami sa fourth year, seksyon A ako nun...ehem..... Basta naging magkaklase kami niyan di ko lang matandaan kung kelan. Sa kolehiyo nasa pang-umaga siya kasama ang mga intsik na mag-aaral na panay matatalino sa math. Ako nag-umpisa sa umaga, naging tanghali, hanggang naging panggabi. Bakit? secret..... sabihin na lang natin na dahil sa karanasan ko na yan dumami ang aking nakilala at naging kaibigan at lumawak ang aking karanasan.

Matapos ang mahabang kwentuhan, naghiwalay na kami na masaya. Naisip ko lang na bakit ba Modesta pa tawag ko sa kanya. Me palayaw siya talaga. Pero di kami nasanay na tawagin siya sa palayaw niya kahit nung high school pa lang. Basta sa min, siya si Modesta. Me apelyido pa minsan pag tinawag namin. Ganon nung high school di ba? Me apelyido pa pag tinawag mo. Kaya pag reunion, nagkakakilala kayo sa apelyido kahit di niyo na makilala ang isa't isa at iba na ang mga itsura niyo. Pag babaeng me asawa ka na, kailangan banggitin mo ang apelyido mo nung dalaga. Si Modesta nga pala, Pareho pa rin ang apelyido niya. Pero ayoko tanungin kung bakit.

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites