Monday, February 23, 2009

Ika 24 ng Pebrero 2009: The Look

I was riding my transportation of choice, actually no choice, which is the tricycle or trike as MD would call it, going out of the village when my fellow passenger, a pretty young lass, asked me if I am a teacher. Well yes, I told her pleasantly surprised that she knew I am a teacher. Now, how did she know that? She wanted to engage me in a conversation but I was almost at the shuttle terminal. She was wondering if I am teaching at the school where the shuttle terminal is located. I told her I teach at a school in Makati. She asked if I am teaching in high school. I answered that I teach in college. I asked her why she wants to know. She said that she thought I was teaching in the school near the shuttle terminal and wants to inquire from me. She is thinking about going back to school. She is a freshman college student. Unfortunately, I couldn't help her further as I was getting off. I smiled at her before I left.

While waiting for the van to be filled up, it dawned on me that I look like the typical teacher in the uniform I am wearing. I am proud to be a teacher because it is a honorable profession. Teachers are looked up to today and in the past. Although some members of the profession have sullied the good image of a teacher, there are still a lot more out there who give credence to the calling. Proud as I am of being in the teaching profession, I realized that my outfit is not doing me justice. I know now what the young lady meant. I look like the stereotype. I knew this uniform does not become me.

College professors, particularly part-timers, do not have to be in uniform. That is our chance to dress-up the way we want to. I usually don a corporate outfit, long-sleeves blouse and slacks with inconspicuous accessories. When I have Friday or Saturday classes, I can dress-down a little. I wear jeans instead of the pants........ maybe, a nice blouse or collared shirt instead of a long-sleeves blouse. Depending on the weather, I could put on a blazer or jacket. I also used to wear dresses. I favor matching shoes and bag. I would sometimes put on subdued-colored hosiery which could look very chic. But now, I go for comfort and style. I favor wearing blouse and slacks because of the freedom of movement it gives me. I like sitting on the edge of a table at times as it affords me more interaction with the students. Being in pants allows me to be less cautious.

Now that someone else noticed I look like a typical teacher, someone in our uniform committee should do something about it. I have a friend who sits as a member of that committee. My friend is a dresser and carries herself well which probably explains why her colleagues chose her to represent them in the committee. She mentioned that the problem of sitting in that committee is that they (the smart-dressers) are outnumbered or out-voiced by other members who represent the aged, the heavy, the biggies, and those whose fashion sense have remained unchanged for the last three decades. They can argue that fashion just reinvents itself and makes a comeback some other time. It's just that they staged the comeback at another time which can be too early or too late. After every uniform change, we end up looking drab in a teacher's uniform. That has always been the comment...... that we look like public school teachers. Again, no offense meant for our unsung heroes. The description is not meant to be flattering but rather a kind attempt to describe what is an unacceptable look to someone who wants to dress smart.

I am reminded of the Oscars yesterday. My, my...... the stars look so shimmery and resplendent in their gowns. The men..... oh they look so divinely handsome in their suits. The hosts kept on saying that the old glamour is back. Anne Hathaway, Marisa Tomei, and Penelope Cruz were clear winners in the fashion department. I like Natalie Portman's subdued elegance. I noticed that many of the ladies favor the light, subdued colors. During dinner last night, hubby said that he thinks that the awards night is not about the best performance anymore but who dons the best gown...... an advertising blitz or launching pad for designers. Congratulations to Kate Winslet, Sean Penn, Heath Ledger, and Penelope Cruz, Slumdog Millionaires, and the other winners.

MD finally was able to buy her desired prom outfit yesterday after trying to purchase it on her own using her own card. The transaction couldn't be done because of errors detected. Her dad came to her rescue last night. We scoured the shops Saturday and Sunday to find the right prom dress for her. These girls rely on my recommendation for their outfits. The dress she chose is actually the first one I found that I thought would look good on her. She looks like a prom princessette, something less grand than a princess, when she fitted the dress. We didn't buy it immediately but all other dresses she tried on were compared to that dress. So that must be it....... Since she is still in her junior, I thought it best that they (the juniors) should give the night to the seniors....... so they should not wear something so overpowering or would make them more mature. MD has a frame which look good in almost all clothes. In her chosen pink and silver prom dress, she looks like a girl just about to bloom...... yeah, that's it. ED likes the dress too. She is a party to the choice because she is also at that stage when she is attending debutante's parties left and right. She complains about being pictured in the same black dress she wore to her own JS prom three years ago in all the parties. In fact, one of the straps has faded. Now, she's got more options with her upcoming friend's debut.

Envying the stars wearing all those fabulous gowns at the Oscars which I could probably never wear in this lifetime even if I would have the means someday because I could never get over the guilt of wearing a gown whose cost could feed a nation, I am coming to the office feeling like my ego has been crushed a thousand times after my realization that people look at me that way but with head high that I don't have to feel guilty about wearing this drab that I don't have to spend a fortune on ........

PS: Wala akong baon ngayon kaya lumabas kami ng kaibigan ko para mananghalian. Matagal na rin kaming di nagkasama. Naisip lang namin na magadang pagkakataon din para makapagkwentuhan lalo na ng mga magaganap na pagbabago sa opisina. Pareho kasi kaming mapapalitan ang mga boss.

Halos magkasabay kaming dumating sa lugar na kakainan. Umorder na kami. Pareho pa kami ng inorder. Aba, at siya na raw ang taya. Tignan mo nga naman pag sweswertuhun. Di libre ang aking pananghalian.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All throughout my reading time, i got the impression that you work for Congress (or did i miss somewhere your 'job post'?) The "Fashion Committee - haha, the funniest ever...

brainchild said...

I work for the government pero hindi masyadong controversial hehehe. Me nagsabi din sa kin akala sa Senate ako nagtratrabaho. Buti na lang hindi.... Dream job ko yan maging part ng fashion industry ...... imagine I'll get paid for looking good or making people look good.....

brainchild said...

BTW, I moonlight as a part-time prof due to exigency of needs (shhhhh) ..... That 'beloved' uniform is our garb at my regular job.

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites