Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ika 13 mg Pebrero 2009: Pre-Valentine


It's day before valentine's day. So who gets to celebrate valentine today? The lovers, of course. It is said that pre- and post- celebrations are for the not so significant others..... or probably significant but in a discreet way.

Salma Hayek breastfeeding a baby in Sierra Leone is a great gift on this day of hearts. The actress and producer was told by doctors in Sierra Leone that many mothers stop breastfeeding their infants within the first few months after birth because of pressure from their husbands. Tradition has it, in some areas, that it is not acceptable to have sexual relations with breast feeding women. As always, others would always color such acts with malice. I have great admiration for this woman..... Let's hope this act is not bastardize by some other celebrity who wants to raise the bar in the guise of loving mankind........

Traffic would probably be bad this evening as lovers celebrate their day. But it is not only for lovers. Love is a universal thing. It can be among friends or family members.....

Our family would always be excited about what my middle daughter would get from her 'friend' who isn't her boyfriend. There was this boy who has been giving my daughter valentine gifts, chocolates, and flowers since she was in Grade 5 until last year. There seems to be a change of heart, however, as MD is now entertaining another 'friend'. Last Christmas, this new 'friend' appeared to have gained a momentum. He was the one with a gift to MD and the old 'friend' is now out of the picture. We wondered what happened. MD isn't talking. The new friend's Christmas gift to MD is really nice but cannot be eaten. We used to look forward to the gift of MD's old 'friend' because MD shares the chocolates with us. Yummy..... Well, MD's new 'friend''s gift is something to look forward to as well..... let's see tonight...........

I recall with fondness also my son's sweet gesture last year. He bought three roses from a vendor in their school to give to his two sister and me. It was an artificial flower but I was touched by his sweetness. The three of us kept that rose in our rooms to this day. The only thing was he forgot to buy a rose for his grandma who was at the house that time. MD came to the rescue..... giving some of the flowers given to her by her other friends.

Not to be outdone is my eldest daughter..... When she arrived home, she was clutching a stuff toy given by a boy in their class, not a particular boy actually. The boys in their class thought of giving all the girls a gift. Ain't it sweet...... I always thought the geeks would be lacking in the romance department...... Will they outdo themselves this valentine? Let's see......

Me......... I guess I am past romances. I guess the practical side of things took over me. Valentine has become just another day. Walking earlier, a flower vendor was trying to sell roses. Huh!!?? I'll give my own flowers to myself. Athough, I know of some girls who have done this in the past. I guess we all grow so we can stop kidding ourselves. I still enjoy celebrating the day with all people who matter in my life. Since it falls on a Saturday, we are spending it as one family. I'd be with friends later in the evening tomorrow. Then, perhaps have a post-valentine celebration on Sunday..........

PS: Final exams ng mga estudyante ko ngayon. Parang di maganda ang pre-valentine gift ko sa kanila.............

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites