Monday, June 8, 2009

Ika 6 ng Hunyo 2009: Medical Appointment

Brainchild’s break……

We set out early for my and the kids’ annual physical examination at the Intelllicare Clinic in Alabang. ED did not go with us because she just had her APE which is a requisite to their enrolment. Both hubby and I have HMO coverage. His company provided for the entire’s family HMO coverage while my office provides only for the employee’s coverage with optional coverage on the dependents as part of the group coverage, on employee’s account. This is cheaper than getting HMO protection on individual account. I have two HMO benefits because my office would not monetize the cost of the coverage if I opted to not avail it. However, I can only make use of one HMO per availment. I usually use the HMO provided by hubby’s company because of the more extensive package and the ease of usage.

Intellicare clinic in Alabang is new. Last year, we had our APE in their Makati office. The location, is accessible by public transportation but poses problems if you have your own vehicle. Hubby dropped us in front of the building and parked at faraway Festival Mall.

Reaching the clinic, we were held at the door by the guard wearing a mask. A nurse approached us and took our temperature before we were allowed entry. Does this mean we are assured that we won’t contract the H1N1 virus in this clinic? Not if a carrier would manifest symptoms days after contracting the virus. I gave our cards to the nurse and told her we are scheduled for an APE. Hubby soon arrived. After filling up some forms, we were asked to go to the lab for blood tests and other tests. MD and MS gave their stool samples to the attendant. I don’t have mine because I need full concentration doing that in the morning. MD had been particularly insistent on submitting the samples as soon as we came in as she was the one holding the bag containing the samples. Thank God that my kids have been so used to APE that they are able to collect their own samples. Otherwise, I would have a very disconcerted morning. We were given cups to collect urine samples. We queued for blood extraction and took our turn one at a time. Both MD and MS had no problem with it. I was the one who is nervous and asked that MS stays with me during the procedure. MS was laughing at me. He would also peep to see how MD was doing.

After laboratory, we went to the X-ray room to have our chest x-rays taken. After x-ray, I needed to have ECG which is an additional requirement for a person beyond a certain age. Those who are within this age range would know. The kids went with their Dad to the doctor’s office for physical examination. After my ECG, I followed and went to the pediatrician seeing both MD and MS. Kids up to age 18 still have to be checked by a pediatrician. MS was done when I came in. It was MD’s turn. Hubby and MS left us. After ensuring that MD’s medical problems are covered, I went to the OB-Gyne for my own exam. Again being a woman of a certain age, I needed to have a pap smear test too. This APE is a sure giveaway of one’s age. My last procedure was the physical examination by a family med physician. Over the years, I have grown comfortable giving my family history tracing illnesses from both sides to form basis for my own medical condition. After this examination, I am usually recommended for further tests because of procedures I undergone in the past and because of my family history. Hubby, MD, and MS were impatient when I came out. I still have to arrange for the schedule of an ultrasound I have to undergo as a partial result of the physical examination. Finally, it was over.

It was lunchtime when we came out. Plans were made prior to the APE. We would go to the supermarket for our grocery-shopping. But we needed to take lunch first. With grumbling stomachs, the kids would strike if lunch was not served immediately. Thanks to hubby’s credit card promotions, we went to Goldilocks and had a free lunch on the company’s account. Then, we went to Shopwise Supercenter and shop for our food and home items. We also shop for school stuff needed by MD and MS. We went home after this. We all took positions to take a nap while waiting for the anticipated mass. In time, we left for mass. We went home and had dinner. We all retired early……….

PS: Halos kakarating ko lang din ng bahay at dahil sa malakas na ulan at pagbaha, kung saan saan dumaan ang van na sinakyan ko. Habang nasa sasakyan, parang gustong gusto ko na makita at marating ang bahay namin. Pag ganitong masungit ang panahon, walang dadaig sa sariling tahanan sa pagbibigay ng ligtas na pakiramdam sa isang nilalang na nasa panaganib.

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites