Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ika 24 ng Hunyo 2009: Judgement Day


Today is the deadline for submission of grades for the last term and I haven't done much. Two of the students took their exams late. Only one exam was submitted to me. I am still waiting for the other. But that is not the only reason I haven't done it. I lack the motivation today. But I must do what I have to do.....

It's that time in a student life when he is judged based on performance. I have done this so many times. Not all my students passed. More importantly, not all students can take failure well. A few did.... But many lose their minds when failure hits them. It's human nature to take failure as an assault to the spirit. I have been begged upon, cried on, threatened, gifted, and even pressured by some school administrators to give in to students' demand for a change of grade. Academic freedom gives the professor exemption from external control or interference in the performance of his duties. In the past, this privilege was enjoyed to the hilt by our professors whom we view in awe and sometimes with fear. Today, administrators have been operating schools like any business ventures. Students are 'valued' clients who makes the business of education sustainable. Some school officials would do anything to keep students in the campus. Teachers have become dispensable commodities for them.

I don't particularly enjoy failing students. It is a right I don't like to exercise as much as possible. I believe it is also failure on my part that a student should fail. However, I also believe that some students deserve to fail for the lessons it will teach them. For this, I should fail students to serve as a reminder of past transgressions and a guide to a better future.

When I prepare grades, I do not finalize until after I have given it careful thought. Usually, I have to let a night pass so that my mind is clear after a good night's sleep. I will give the grade file one final look. Only then will I print the final grades that would leave permanent imprints on my students' life card.

PS: Walang pasok ang mga estudyante sa elementarya at high school dahil itinaas ang babala bilang 2 sa paghagupit ng bagyong feria. Sinabihan ako ng kaibigan kong si V........ na umuwi ng maaga at dadaan daw sa Kamaynilaan ang bagyo. Masarap nga na nasa bahay pag humagupit na ang bagyo. Makailan beses na rin akong inabutan ng bagyo sa labas o sa daan. Nakakatakot at mapanganib na abutan sa labas ng bagyo. Bukod pa dito ang pangamba dahil sa malayo sa pamilya. Gusto ko na tuloy umuwi........

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites