Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ika 12 ng Hunyo 2009: Independence Day

It's independence day today...... a holiday. Y'ay. It feels good to just stay home and veg out like what I am doing right now. Independence day celebrations are slated in various parts of the country such as Kawit, Cavite, in the now christened Aguinaldo Shrine which is the house where Philippine independence from Spain was proclaimed from its porch in 12 June 1898. Rizal Park, where our national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal, was executed by the Spaniards for his writings and social commentaries, is another traditional place where our freedom is proclaimed to throngs who gather for the annual celebration.

Revisiting our past.......
The Philippine Declaration of Independence occurred on June 12, 1898 in the Philippines, where Filipino revolutionary forces under General Emilio Aguinaldo (later to become the Philippines' first Republican President) proclaimed the sovereignty and independence of the Philippine Islands from the colonial rule of Spain after the latter was defeated at the Battle of Manila Bay during the Spanish-American War.

The declaration, however, was not recognized by the United States or Spain, as the Spanish government ceded the Philippines to the United States in the 1898 Treaty of Paris, in consideration for an indemnity for Spanish expenses and assets lost.

The United States recognized Philippine independence on July 4, 1946 in the Treaty of Manila.[1] Independence Day was observed in the Philippines on the July 4 anniversary of this event until, upon the advice of historians and at the urging of nationalist politicians, President Diosdado Macapagal signed Republic Act No. 4166 into law on August 4, 1964, designating June 12, which had previously been observed as Flag Day, as the country's Independence Day.


I didn't get much sleep because of the coffee I drank while proctoring my final exams. I knew it would happen so I thought about spending time checking out my sites. It kept me up until about 3:00am. There was a point I was falling asleep. Then, I came into an update on my brother's site and my sleepiness completely disappeared. I just had to think I still should wake up early to check on the dogs...... that made me shut down the laptop.

I woke up later than usual. Hubby was not around and I learned he needed to report to his office. I didn't have appetite for breakfast because of the lack of sleep. I checked on the dog and they have been fed and cleaned up. The birds are happily chirping away.

Two of my students are coming to my home later. One would take her final exams as she will be leaving for her home town tomorrow morning. The other one will tag along to have a tour of our animal haven.

Meantime, I am taking things in stride. Because it's independence day, I'd like to be stress-free today. I'll sneak in for a nap later and spend the rest of the day as uneventfully as I could......

PS: Kagabi gising pa ang dalawang anak kong babae pag dating ko ng bahay. Tuwing huling araw ng pasok sa opisina, naghahanap ng pasalubong ang mga yan. Paborito nila yun ensaymada na me caramel na nabibili ko sa SM Makati tuwing Biyernes. Kahapon bumili ako ng ensaymada na gawa sa wheat. Natuklasan ko to sa pamamagitan ng isang kaopisina. Sa halagang sampung piso para sa isang malaking ensaymada at P5.50 sa malaking pandesal na pwedeng palamanan ay meron ka ng murang meryenda o pananghalian. Hindi ito pangkaraniwang tinapay na gawa sa wheat na mukang matigas. Karaniwang bagong luto kaya siguro malambot. Pero kahit isang araw na ang nakalipas, malambot pa rin talaga. Napakaraming tao na bumibili sa panaderyang ito. Maliit lang ang lugar at tatlong klaseng tinapay lang ang binebenta. Halos hindi mapapnsin ito dahil pati karatula nito ay kulay itim pero yun pila ng taong bumibili ang pruweba ng masarap at katakam takam na tinapay. Kahapon ay sumama ako sa kaopisina ko na bumili ng tinapy bago ako pumasok sa paaralan. Malamang na maging suki ako ng panaderyang ito.

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites