Tuesday, June 24, 2008

OCness

How do you feel about people who are excessively clean? who are eternally repeating instructions? who has to do something in a particular way? who has to keep things in the proper place always. I just described some characteristics of someone who is obsessive compulsive or OC.

I also have a confession to make.... I think I am OC.

Is there there really something wrong with us? I find my hubby and children resenting me for being particular about cleanliness and nagging them for clutter. I get upset if the house is not cleaned at a particular time. If I am actually in the house and it's messy, I start my tirade while at the same time tidying up the place. My helpers must be rejoicing. The stuff around the house has to be arranged a certain way. This extends to the creases of the cushions; the way the bed are made; the curtains fall; the decors are arranged or hanged; and similar idiosyncracies. I really cannot accurately describe the feeling I get when subjected to these aggravations.

Shoes and slippers used outside are not allowed inside my house. There are also several slippers used for each part of the house, one for the ground floor, one for upstairs aside from the bedroom slippers; one for the porch upstairs, one for outside, one for the auxiliary kitchen; and one for the garden. Maybe I have not accounted for all slippers. My husband complains why they have to use different slippers for each part of the house when my dogs can freely roam barefooted. Good point! But I am not letting my guard down. I do not respond to such questions but as a compromise I clean the paws of my dogs when they go outside. One dog used shoes before but she doesn't really like wearing these things. Incidentally, in Japan, people cannot bring footwear used outside in houses, schools, offices, or factories. For homes, visitors can wear their socks or go barefoot. Employees should have extra footwear to use inside the office or factory. Same for students in schools. For visitors, plastic shoe covers are provided in offices or factories. I love Japan for this! The practice extends to Japanese nationals living here and Japanese companies and operating in the Philippines.

During his guesting in Oprah, Dr. Oz, a health guru, said that many potential health hazards can be avoided by not bringing shoes used outside inside the house. Can you imagine all the places your shoes walk on? It troubles me just thinking about it.

Having several pieces of the same item applies to rugs of course, brooms, floor mops, some pieces of furniture, and other stuff. Sometimes, I would like to assign people to certain places. Dirty ones in the laundry basket and clean ones on the display rack. I am bothered by the sight of hair lying on the floor and itch to pick it up all the time. I often get up even when falling sleep to get something forgotten just to put it in the proper place.

I have a peculiar habit of washing my hands more than a hundred, maybe a thousand times a day.... For this reason, I have several faucets spread around the house. As a responsible pet lover, my daily dog-handling poses great discomfort.

There are certain things for which touching is taboo.... handrail of escalators or stairs; toilet seats and flush, hand grip in public conveniences; door knobs, other peoples' shoes; naturally garbage bins; and a whole lot more. I just have to let my imagination run wild and the list can run endlessly. Door knobs didn't use to be in the list but once I saw the cleaning lady in my office hanging the mop cloth on the door knob of our confort room, I can't touch it anymore. I try to address this problem by using paper towel or napkin when I have to handle the those things. Alcohol and hand wash are also handy solutions. I prefer the alcohol more because of the sticky feeling of the hand wash.

I feel uneasy when a sweaty or sticky person touches any part of my skin. Alcohol is the first aid for such occurrence but my thoughts will be focused on going home ASAP to get a good wash or shower. I detest stickiness. And being brushed by someone with sticky skin is enough to ruin my day. In a bus or jeep, I mentally hypnotize persons passing by in choosing my seatmate. When I see someone who looks fresh, I try to invite him/her to be my seatmate using eye contact and a slight smile. Sweaty persons are my pet peeves. Ironically, I usually end up seated beside such person. Call it karma but I don't enjoy it at all. Once, an old man sat beside me. Nothing gross. Then, he started picking his nose. Imagine my horror. I couldn't move lest some of his bogey accidentally gets to me. I wanted to stand up and protest but common courtesy prevented me from mauling the old man. I tried to shield myself from the yucky assault by looking the opposite way. I secretly told my daughter who was seated beside me to not touch any part of our seat. The alcohol is ready just in case.

Imagine also when flood water gets to my feet or legs. I once emptied a small bottle of alcohol after accidentally stepping on dirty water which went inside my shoes. I was uncomfortable during my whole trip going home. When I reached home, I wash my feet with my shoes on in my garage and wash my feet again in the toilet with soap and pour alcohol. I nearly boiled my feet to eliminate my discomfort.

As a result of my excessive hygienic requirement, I can hold my pee or poop for as long as it takes if I can't find a decent toilet. Even at the verge of explosion, I'd rather pee on my pants than use a dirty toilet.

Call me crazy... I also don't understand some of my idiosyncracies. I am aware it might not be normal but i can't help it. I am not doing this on purpose. Yes, I'm obsessively and excessively clean to a fault. I'm not proud but I can't help it. If this is a disease, tell me how to be cured. I do believe some of my idiosyncracies are also experience by many of us. If this is just psychological, please tell me how I can straighten up my mind so I can stop torturing myself.

Are you OC too? Tell me about it.....

2 comments:

dayap said...

wala ka na namn magawa ano....anyway it kept me awake this time...langya ka...tawa ako ng tawa kasi naka-relate ako kaagad sa pagka OCness mo...hahaha,
i dare say pareho tayo...to the point my kids and husband also freaks out the moment I'm in the house...or any place where we are together...moment I see them rubbing or holding those elevator railings or even lean on it's walls....I would yell at them....your getting somebody's booger ...or when they are in Hong Kong....ayyyy laway ng instik hawak mo na...yaki! sa bahay naman, you better hire me to clean your house and you'll see the difference..hahaha...my OCness is nakakaINIS too...kahit lawit na dila ko sa pagod...I would rather do it myself than ask my helpers to do it..kasi I also wanted it done FAST...swerte nga helpers ko...kasi utos ko ..gawa ko...i guess that's what i get for being an OC...

brainchild said...

lam mo ba pag dating ko bahay ang una kong ginagawa inspectionin ang buong paligid. pag madumi, di sermon na naman to all concerned. tapos habang nagsesermon, aayusin ko yun sofa at kung ano ano pang mahawakan ko. pare pareho na nga sinasabi ko ewan ko ba di pa nila maimbibe yun gusto ko. bago kumain yan ha. bakit masama ba malinis tayo???!!!! bakit sila naaasar sa tin. bakit di tayo maintindihan. tagal na tong blog na to nakaparada, lam ko maraming makakarelate. kita mo napatawa kita. magbasa ka lang lagi blog ko. cge ihihire kita tagalinis ng bahay. isked mo yun isang uwi mo dito ha.

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites