Monday, June 23, 2008

bossing and bosabos

I have worked for at least 15 different organizations briefly or for longer periods. I have worked in a number of sales organizations, a hotel, retail trade, a service establishment in a foreign country, government, academe, international organization, and some individuals. In my working experiences, I have countless encounters with people of different backgrounds, culture, beliefs, mindsets, and attitudes. But nobody can perhaps affect us in the workplace like the boss does. This is one person for whom the saying, "he/she can make or break you" has been given a real flavor. Surely, the boss can make working a real treat or the hell that we dread going to everyday of our lives 5 or 6 times a week.

How exactly does the boss treat you? An article in a daily said that abusive bosses have been the major cause of losing good people on the job. I couldn't agree more. In the many offices I worked for, I have gone to hell and back. There were momentary times of bliss only to be broken by chaotic episodes. Many pantry talks have been peppered with the all powerful bossing. I normally refer to a favored superior as my bossing. Those who enslaved me and continue to do so can be fondly called the bosabos, an antithesis really, but that's exactly what they do, ang mangbosabos.

How do we differentiate the bossing from the bosabos?

The bossing
  1. Is confident, impartial, rule-observing individual with a genuine concern for people.
  2. Makes you feel welcome at the first encounter and introduce you to all members of the team.
  3. Doesn't really mind the position and treats everyone as his/her equal.
  4. Motivates people.
  5. Inspire you to work well and move up the career ladder in the process.
  6. Lead people by being a good role model.
  7. People work for him driven by a genuine desire to achieve the organization goal and not fail him/her.
  8. Acknowledges and give recognition to people for a job well done.
  9. Promotes deserving people.
  10. Doesn't feel intimidated by your achievements.
  11. Corrects the mistake, not the person.
  12. Derives authority from his/her good handling of people.
  13. Works to get what he/she wants.
  14. Uses charm and persuasion to reach goals.
  15. One to be emulated when you reach that post.

The bosabos
  1. Is an insecure and lonely individual who bends rules for his/her own selfish motives.
  2. Welcomes you briefly and gets down to business.
  3. Introduce you to your colleagues when convenient.
  4. Lets you know who's the boss at the very first encounter and at every opportunity.
  5. Uses people.
  6. Does a good job of ordering or commanding people.
  7. Feels threaten when your good work is noticed and tries to take credit for your work.
  8. Steals your ideas.
  9. Stalls your promotion to ensure that you continue to toil under him/her.
  10. Embarrasses you when you commit mistakes and reminds you of your mistakes at every opportunity.
  11. Derives authority from his/her position.
  12. Often resorts to bullying tactics and threats to achieve goals.
  13. Uses politics to get what he/she wants.
  14. Resorts to ass-kissing to get ahead and is stimulated by ass-kissing as well.
  15. Seeing him/her discourages you from reaching that position. You actually like to bypass him/her to get even.
In pantry or coffee house talks, it is easy to feel if the office has a bossing or a bosabos. Bossing are usually ushered to a seat to join in the discussion. There might be awkward moments but people generally feel secured discussing with the bossing. The bossing usually obliged but is understood just the same if he/can't join a discussion. People respect bossing.

On the other hand, a bosabos is avoided like a plague. If by chance, a bosabos accidentally walks upon people talking, people can automatically maneuver the discussions which are mostly about him/her. People abhors bosabos.

Do you feel a rush in the morning? Or would you rather call in sick? I have shuttle back and forth between these two choices in my long experience. There were jobs where I had the ideal bossing but hit a dead end in my career and had to move on. There were times I hit the jackpot but had to work for a bosabos. I have to give acknowledgment to these bosabos for teaching me the virtue of patience. Without it, I would have been convicted of murder and in case of a parole be absolved on account of double jeopardy because I could have killed some of these bosabos twice. Suffice it to say that at this point in my life, I had set my priorities and reached some of my goals. I can perhaps let go of some dreams and just be content and happy with the way things are.



Please click this article on choosing your new boss from the wisdom journal for more insights.

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites