Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ninoy's Letter to Noynoy

Let me share this touching and beautiful, prophetic letter written by my modern-day hero, Ninoy Aquino, to his son, Noynoy, 36 years ago, while he was in his prison cell in Fort Bonifacio.  This letter was released by the Aquino family on September 9, 2009 when Noynoy proclaimed his candidacy to run as President of the Philippines.

Noynoy's decision to accept the call for him to run for President is his reply to his father's letter, 36 years after..... 


I quote the following excerpts from Ninoy's letter as this is how he would like his son, Noynoy, to carry on his fight for democracy........
The only valuable asset I can bequeath to you now is the name you carry. I have tried my best during my years of public service to keep that name untarnished and respected, unmarked by sorry compromises for expediency. I now pass it on to you, as good, I pray, as when my father, your grandfather passed it on to me.
In the coming years, I hope you will study very hard so that you will have a solid foundation on which to build your future. I may no longer be around to give you my fatherly advice. I have asked many of your uncles to help you along should the need arise and I pray you will have the humility to drink from their fountain of experiences.
Look after your two younger sisters with understanding and affection. Viel and Krissy will need your umbrella of protection for a long time. Krissy is still very young and fate has been most unkind to both of us. Our parting came too soon. Please make up for me. Take care of her as I would have taken care of her with patience and warm affection. Finally, stand by your mother as she stood beside me through the buffeting winds of crisis and uncertainties firm and resolute and uncowed. I pray to God, you inherit her indomitable spirit and her rare brand of silent courage.
I had hopes of introducing you to my friends, showing you the world and guide you through the maze of survival. I am afraid; you will now have to go it alone without your guide.
The only advice I can give you: Live with honor and follow your conscience. There is no greater nation on earth than our Motherland. No greater people than our own. Serve them with all your heart, with all your might and with all your strength. Son, the ball is now in your hands.
As I write this, many of the candidates I voted for are losing.  Gibo managed a sorely fourth place finish.  Mar is in a neck to neck battle with Binay (I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one and I will hold it as long as it takes).  With the exception of one or two, most of the senators I voted for are out of the magic 12 or would be in a tight squeeze to make it.  My congressman as well as most of the local I voted for, lost.  This early I see the same clueless clowns with their new cohorts filling up our august chambers..... new faces, same old routines.... so help us God.


Still, I am willing to give hope a chance......


I was earlier telling myself that even if I have already accepted the results of this last election, I won't expect much from Noynoy given his experience.  However, after pondering over it for sometime, I think that it is not enough to simply accept things as we see fit.  We should expect to get good, honest governance from our new leaders.  


I'd like to see Ninoy fulfill his dream even in his grave.  I do not like his sacrifices and heroism to simply go to waste.  Their family have sacrificed so much for our country.  It is such as small thing to ask that we wish Noynoy well in his new role and accord him the dignity and respect that he deserves.  Let us pray for Noynoy that he will have the courage and will to make the change that he promised us and be the man that his proud father had hope his only son will be, 36 years ago.   I would encourage each and everyone of us to pray for our newly and duly elected 15th President that he will be able to carry on the responsibilities bestowed upon him honestly, sincerely, justly, firmly.  Let us pray that God will give him the strength and a good health to do all these things.  Let us pray that people around him will resist the temptation to influence and cloud his decisions.  


Let's forget the wounds inflicted on us by the last election and respect the will of the electorate.  Let us remain vigilant, however, on attempts to topple our fragile democracy.  Let's move on and be the agent of change in the new order.    

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites