Monday, May 24, 2010

May 17 - 23, 2010: Take Time to Stop and Smell the Flowers

By this time, most of the elected officials have been proclaimed. Many of the losing candidates are noisily proclaiming they were cheated. By this time too, my election fever is on the wane. I am just interested in the outcome of the vice presidential race. And little by little, my hope is being dashed......

I took a leave in the middle of the week to take care of my car registration........ one of those things I dread doing based on previous experience with the LTO. For the past years, my car registration was taken cared of by a neighbor working for an insurance company inside the LTO. I just give him the money and with a little extra payment, I am spared from the hassles of going to that government agency.  Last time I went there was during my birthday last year when I renewed my driver's license and ED got hers. It took us the whole day.

But I am a month delayed in registering my vehicle and it's such a hassle driving an unregistered vehicle. Everytime I drive my car, I could feel my heart skip a beat when I see a traffic officer. And I couldn't bring it too far. And I have an affair to attend in the weekend. The last reason compelled me to finally register my vehicle.

My neighbor told me that the new process requires that the vehicle be brought for emission testing with a picture taken..... arrgh. I told her I'll have that emission testing in the weekend but would still have our neighbor register the car. But the emission testing center was closed in the weekend. Hence, I would be forced to bring my car to the ETC on a workday.

I was expecting the worst that morning I decided to go to LTO and got the shock of my life....... Here's my story....

Upon entering the LTO compound, a guard took my ID and gave me a number like they do in villages or subdivisions.  That's new but I complied sensing that it is probably a new rule.  I asked the guard for direction. A few meters away were a group of men in orange shirts. When I passed the tent they were housed in, one directed me where to go and followed me. He assisted me in the ETC. When I got the results a few minutes after, he took me to the area where the insurance people and the cashier are housed. After that, he told me to bring my documents to the evaluation and processing units. Surprise of all surprises, there were hardly any people. After a few minutes, I was paying my dues. The only bummer was I had to shell out an extra thousand bucks as penalty for late registration. I vow that this will never happen again. The whole process was over in less than an hour.

I was so pleased I told myself I'd buy pastries for the kids after I finished the registration process. Another bummer would happen which will be revealed later.......

I went home and had lunch with the kids.  I was restless so I asked the kids if they want to go out.  ED and MS would not want to go out.  These two are certified veggers.........MD, ,my constant companion, and I set out.......

I decided to do some make over with MD... eyebrows, hot oil... and buy some stuff afterwards.  We were having our eyebrows trimmed when I realized I forgot my ID at LTO.... sucks. I was planning on going some other places but I have to adjust as I would have to go back for my ID card...geeesh. After our hair waxing treatment, MD and I went back to the LTO compound and got my ID.  Funny but the guard asked how I was related to the ID holder.  I said that's me.  He laughed saying I look better in person.  My pic in that ID was taken when I had a really bad hair day.  Maybe, I should have just left that ID card with them.......  With some time shaved off my desired sked, we went to the mall to buy stuff and just went home.

By the end of the week, I remembered my promise to a former high school that my friends and I will meet up with him before he goes back to Canada.  I stalled on this for the past weeks and I realized that my teacher was going back soon.  I immediately made arrangements with some friends and our teacher.  We fixed our date the very first day the following week as our teacher is leaving by the end of that week.

The workweek came and ended..... Like clockwork, things happened as they should. I came home on Friday, tired, sleepy, but hopeful about my weekend. I am not entirely savoring doing the chores but look forward to extended vegging out....

My weekend wasn't planned out concretely but I have some ideas how it would go. The dogs have to get their shots. Recently, one of my dogs bit a our water delivery boy. The importance of the dogs having updated vaccines couldn't be more appreciated. I had a bit of an explaining to do with the employer of the water delivery boy. However, after getting my dog's record, I didn't see the water delivery boy again. Another helper was assigned to deliver water for us. The employer nor the boy didn't asked me for anything. I am not exactly happy because I know we were wrong. I could have spent for his medical expense if needed even if I am short on funds lately.  I don't know why the boy didn't go to the doctor to have the dog bite.  I wasn't too worried about rabies because the dog that bit him has anti-rabies shot.  Then again, his wounds should have been treated.  I don't understand why he seemed to avoid going to the house when I am there and would show up when I am gone.  I guess nothing bad happened to him..  the dog is fine too.

An event, the baptismal of the son of my friend and officemate, was reset for next week. I thought that my scheduled talk with a reader of this blog who was interested in my experience in handling the difficulties of having a child with ADHD could happen this weekend instead of next as we originally planned. He and his wife were cool with that and we set Sunday afternoon as our meeting date.

There was also the planned dental appointment with hubby dentist-friend. I am trying to fit all of these events this weekend.

I called the vet on Saturday after the dogs had their bath and grooming time but they couldn't be accommodated that day. So we set it morning of the following day. I also sent a message to the parent of the ADHD child I am meeting and he and his wife agreed to set the meeting on Sunday. We still don't know yet if the dentist appointment will push through the following day. which means that we might have a cramped day on Sunday.....

The kids and I went to our usual anticipated mass on Saturday. Hubby went to his birds meeting. After the mass, there was an announcement on H1N1 vaccine to be administered sometime in June. MS and I registered for the vaccination. The girls said they will avail of free vaccines at their university. Going out of the parish office, I saw my 'suking' banana vendor waiting for someone at the parking area. His one and a half year old son just died. The boy is their only child. I asked him if the child has been buried yet. He said he was waiting for a priest and they might have the burial the following day. He was sullen and sad as I asked him about the circumstances of the death. He said a doctor told them of a disease which he couldn't make out. He and his wife found the child already cold one morning. He said he's worried about his wife and is bent on bringing her to a doctor after the burial. I felt his pain and I couldn't just go. My kids who were walking ahead of me, went ahead and I am certain are getting impatient. But I have to offer an ear and some support. My kids would emerged with those faces of impatience as I was searching for my wallet to give him some help. We parted ways after I told him to stay strong but to cry if he needs to and to look after his wife. I had to explain to the kids I have to stop to give comfort. Their impatience was gone and we would discuss the child's death in the car. I could not remember exactly what the vendor told me about the cause of death as I was telling the story to the kids. ED, whom we see as the closest thing we have to a medical mind, would have her theories.

On Sunday, hubby told us that our dental appointment will push through as we were having breakfast. I have things planned out actually. I waited for the vet while I was on the lappy manning our music site. Soon, the vet and her assistant would arrive. The appointment lasted several hours. It was lunchtime when they finished with all the dogs.

After lunch, we set out to go to the dentist. The plan was to pass by the pet store to buy dog food; have our dental appointment; and go to the grocery. I timed my meeting with my readers around the time we were doing the grocery. I was texting the dad of the child on the meet up. Just as arranged, he would text me while we were in the supermarket. I brought MD along. Finally, I met them in a resto. They offered to buy us food but MD and I couldn't take anything for the next hour or so or our dental ordeal would have been a waste. Our sharing was fruitful to say the least. Before we met, I told them I am no therapist and I hope they won't expect professional advise. It would simply be sharing of experiences having passed through the ordeals they might be experiencing now.  We still do occassionaly........   It was just that... an open and spontaneous exchange of experiences. There were points I could feel tears welling in my eyes. I told them that everything I written on my blog is what exactly we experienced as a family and I as a mom. The mom of the child with ADHD told me she actually felt what I went through and could relate well to my experience. She and her husband were just glad to talk to someone who has a first hand experience in this misunderstood condition of a lot of boys and girls out there. The time passed so quickly and soon hubby's text message to MD telling us that they were done shopping came. The mom and I kissed and I shook hands with the dad. We exchanged home phones and they told me that they would give a call again. I said anytime. I felt good and light after that meet up.

Considering I didn't plan out this weekend, it turned well..... more than what I expected. It was worth dropping the usual things I do and taking time out to ease someone else's pain.

This week I felt I also restored some order into my life....


No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites