Wednesday, May 26, 2010

American Idol Season 9 Upset Win?

This just in..... Lee DeWyze is the new American Idol pulling an upset win over frontliner, Crystal Bowersox, in this season's American Idol.

Unlike in previous seasons, I was not as engaged in watching AI9 this year. I even took the morning off last year to watch the grand finals of AI8.  Blame it on my punishing schedule which seems to take the lights out of me when I'm home from work. I hardly have time watching TV. In the past, AI viewing was the girls and my bonding time as we all lie on my bed in my room intently listening and then being judges of the contestants at the same time. We could be Simon, Randy, or Paula.

This is also the season that Paula was unceremoniously cut from the judges panel. Ellen Degeneres replaced the cocky judge. This would also be Simon's last season in Idol. But did the judges' opinion matter this season?

Earlier in the competition, Simon, the most irreverent but believable Idol judge, said that a girl could take home the crown this year. In fact when the final 12 made it to the competition, audience were led to believe that this batch of female contestants were better than the men. Yet the girls except for Crystal succumbed to early elimination.  The boys still ruled through out the competition.  Later, Lee seemed to be the favored contestant along with the yummy Casey James.

For the last three years including this season, a guy emerged as the American idol, David Cook, Kris Allen, and now, Lee DeWyze. Personally, I think that the fans are leaning towards a certain type of idol given the results of the past three seasons.  All winners are from some obscure towns, with humble beginnings and have a story to tell.  Their music can be considered as mainstream.  To borrow from AI judges, these guys can make a song their very own.  Fans also feel for the underdogs which might explain the wins of these guys.  Another hunch is the big chunk of the fans base is female which might explain why the boys have an edge.  Even runners ups like David Archuleta, Danny Gokey, Casey James and probably the infamous Sanjaya Malakar benefited from the female vote.  And this should come as no surprise.... Women are always home and the boys are out there.......

Do you feel that this year's American Idol deserves the win?

Related posts:
American Idol
Lee Dewyze
Crystal Bowersox

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites