Monday, November 9, 2009

November 2 - 8, 2009: Same Old Routine, Some New Twist


It's back to school for me. It's still semestral break for ED while MD and MS were back to school as well. I was trying to get into the routine of having two jobs. It's hard to get back after a lull.... but I must shape up because I need to. I have two classes but was given another one after one of the professors backed out. Being the most experienced handling a variety of subjects, I was the natural choice. I also handled that course before. I really wanted to just have two subjects and offered one of the subjects I would be teaching to my professor friend, a colleague in the old school. She declined as she is having some problems in the school where she now teach. Without any choice, I accepted the new assignment.

The rest of the week was uneventful as far as the office is concerned. The merger would take a backseat as the head of the committee responsible for it is out of the country. I noticed too that one of the heads of the affected office who is against the merger would snub me whenever we meet at the ladies' room or lobby. I would like to wonder aloud and I hope she reads this why people with opposing views on work-related matters should take it personally.

It was a busy weekend as I expected because of so many errands. First, I brought the dogs to the vet for grooming and left them there to do the errands I have lined up.

I have been scouring the sulit.com.ph for items I need like dog cages and some furnishings. I kinda have a good eye and feel for good items to buy. There are so many items on sale there that were hardly used. I keep a close eye on those items because they are practically new. On Saturday, I went to a number of sellers selling stuff I was interested in. One may still haggle a bit once you meet-up with the seller. Some items go so fast. I bought what was supposed to be a second hand dog cage that is practically unused it looks brand-new because their dog would not want to stay in the cage. While I was haggling with the seller, he mentioned that they have a dog bed too that their dog would not like to sleep on. Aha, I saw an opportunity...... I offered to buy the dog bed and of course, he was willing to sell it. I bought it at a steal and it looks so new. I was so happy with my purchase. The second seller I went to was selling furnishing because they were leaving. I thought they would have good pieces of furniture because they live in a classy neighborhood. I was disappointed when I got there because the furniture have damages which they would not reveal in their ad. I was caught in traffic after that detour which was not actually in my route. The seller initially told me that they got a bigger offer from a prospective buyer than the price she quoted me. She told me they are inclined to consider the other buyer and would call me if the other buyer backs out. I said fine but I can't look at her furniture anymore after that saturday and would rather go to other sellers I talked too. She texted me after I finished transacting with the dog cage seller. Since her place is on the way, I figured I'll take a look to my regret.

I had to reset other appointments including fetching the dogs because we had to go to mass. After mass, we had dinner at home and I set out to fetch the dogs and go to two more sellers in the neighborhood selling furnishings. I liked the items of one of these seller but I haggle for a lower price. She would not budge as she said another buyer will take a look. I told her to text me in case there are no takers and she would give it at my price. I did not find the item of the next seller extraordinary and bargained at a price she wouldn't accept. After these errands, I fetched the dogs, who all looked pretty, but were weary from being kept in the vet's clinic for so long.

On Sunday, I had this appointment with a gracious lady which was supposed to have been done the previous day. The traffic prevented me from making it at the appointed time and they had to leave their home. The lady is also a freecycler like me who gives unwanted or excess stuff and she was giving away royal palm seedlings which she grows from the seeds of their own palms. She said she has numerous and I can get as much as I want. Great.... I can have some palm trees in my home. Landscaping can be expensive and this would help cut down costs. She said I can give out some to friends. I also thought of our homeowners' association and chapel ..... so I ask for some more I can give to friends and some others. This is the second time I am a beneficiary of this lady's generosity. The first item I got from her was a huge aquarium which now houses our flower horn. As my boy helper was loading the palm seedlings, she engaged me in conversation and got to know this amazing woman, a retired nurse who counts cooking and painting among her many passion now... She would also show me her plants, bonsais, and paintings as she showed me around her home. She is also living a quiet life and I think she is solely taking care of her household. She has a huge house but I have not seen a helper in that house. She would always be the one to attend to me. Inspite of what seems like a tight sked for this lady, she is able to squeeze in her many hobbies. She is into planting and her property is surrounded by all sorts of palms and trees. People asking for the seedlings are wondering why she is giving it for free when these palm trees are so expensive. She thinks it would be greedy to sell these seedling which her husband just threw on their lot and grew into tiny plants. They then planted the tiny plants into tin cans and plastic pots. The palm trees have great water absortive capacity. Her care for the environment and the recent devastation are part of the reason she wants to propagate these palm trees. She said that she just want to ensure that the palm seedlings are plated. I assured her that I will ensure that they go to good use. She said I can come back for more if I still need to give to some other people or organizations. I went home with a truckload of plam seedlings........

A tiring weekend but it was well worth it.....

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites