Thursday, July 22, 2010

June 21 - 27, 2010: Gutted

I was expecting this week to be most mundane. Weekly roller coaster rides can be daunting at times.....

I had been waiting for an important email which could make my life miserable for at least three months if what I am dreading to happen will happen. Yet, what remains of my pride prevented me from taking the initiative of finding out for myself what is becoming apparent now. It's every part-time educator worst fear.... I and the rest of the moonlighters have no load for the term because night classes will not be offered this term..... shucks.....

While the money I make from teaching sure helps tidy me up on those times, it is not for this reason alone that I chose to work my butt for 7 or so more hours a week on top of the regular 40 hours. Being a mentor is not really the best way to make money.... I see the time I spent in school as a break from all the madness..... The money may not be great but the psychic reward is immeasurable. Whenever I am asked what I do, I feel a sense of pride saying I am a mentor. While my official designation is that of a public servant, I am quick to add that I help mold young minds and feel really good about it..... with this development, dashed dreams for the time being..... we were assured that by next term, things would be back to what they were..... hopefully........

In the doldrums of the midweek, I was greeted with an unexpected bad news by V.......'s hubby.... The plant of the company where V...... is working was razed to the ground the previous night .... nothing was left. I have not talked to V...... the last few days. I felt that it probably was not the best time to call her right there and then. I called her after work and sensed she has not quite gotten over the whole thing. I asked if she needed anything or if we could meet. She said she just wants to sleep as she has not slept the previous night.....

Finally, we met up the following day..... Over margarita and nachos, we poured out, letting out just enough tears in an inconspicuous corner of a dimly-lit resto bar. What happened to V..... 's plant was so unexpected that her plans might just change abruptly.... She was planning on joining her family in Canada next year without certainty.... but now, there is just enough compulsion to do that soon. It might be what V..... wants, needs.... The company would have reason to relocate operations in a country that might be more conducive to investment since there is nothing left here anyway but human resources which is seen as dispensable by these big capitalists..... so I'll be left again by a friend.... and I couldn't hide the sadness.... but if that is the only option, then I guess she must do what she has to do.... We went home after we finished our drinks......

The weekend went on uneventfully.... with the usual chores and skeds....

On Sunday, MD would be going with ED to the condo because of an early class the following day. Hubby was out, too. MS was on the lappy all the time. With a house almost empty, I decided to give myself a treat at the saloon after bringing the girls to the bus station.... I was almost done when I got a call from V....... and she called at the right time. I was waiting for someone to meet up with.......

In a few minutes, we were at the cafe trying to enjoy what remains of that weekend..........

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites