Thursday, April 22, 2010

March 29 - April 4, 2010: Battle of the Sexes


This is the season of lent and I was faced with tough decisions.....

It's the Holy Week and some people might have decided to vacate Manila early..... Some of us still have to report to work for two and a half days. We were sent home early on Wednesday to give more time to those leaving for the provinces to prepare for their trip. Traffic was a breeze. This is one of the better times to be in Manila saved for the heat and the envy one feels for those frolicking in the beach or enjoying the cool breeze of Baguio or Tagaytay.

On Thursday, I was forced to accept a helper out of exigencies......I have been looking for a helper since my other helper left us some months back. We were able to manage because our boy helper and his common law wife helped in some chores. Now, that they are gone and there is only one female replacement, I am having trouble figuring out how our household of 9 people can manage with the impending vacation of my other helper, our main woman. That would leave only the new female helper who are tending to the animals and MIL's assistant to do all things in the house...... probably not humanly possible if my standards are to be followed. There has got to be a solution......My back up plan was to contract a stay-out helper for the duration of my helper's vacation. I was thinking of MIL's other assistant and my woman dog shooter. I made arrangement already.

In the weekend, MIL's other assistant, the one who goes with her to her appointments, came to the house with an applicant. My helper went to my room to tell me about the applicant. She added that the applicant is gay. I was both amused and curious and surprised. I didn't know how to react but I went down to see for myself. MIL's assistant made the proper introductions and I went on with my own preliminary interview. I asked about his experience but I couldn't get myself to ask him about his sexuality. He was in woman's clothes, btw. My helper earlier told me that we wouldn't be able to tell that he's gay. After my initial probe, I told him to report on Thursday which is the start of our long holiday.

I wasn't thinking about the reaction of my other household members. When I told hubby the following day, his immediate reaction was that of irritation as he expressed his concern for MS. That got me thinking too.......... To make the long story short, hubby wasn't so happy. I asked my helper and she also can't make anything out of it. She will be sleeping with him/her in their quarters. I was concerned. But it is something I do not want to ponder on for so long or overanalyze...... I am in dire need of help.......period. I let the issue linger avoiding further discussion.........

Early morning on Thursday, Mandy, a member of the third sex, reported for duty to an unenthusiastic household. I welcomed her and our newest member of the household was accompanied by my helper to their room where she deposited her stuff. They came back shortly and Mandy was ready to start her day with us........

It was also MD's birthday..... We were contemplating on going out later but since it's Holy Thursday we decided against it.......There were not many restos opened as the malls are closed.....So we have to reset the celebration on Saturday.....

Our household was quiet the entire lenten holiday....saved for some bickerings when we get into each other's nerves due to overexposure to each other.... The bedrooms would serve as retreat quarters..... Eating, prayers, chores, relaxation were the preoccupation of choice....... On Good Friday, I was awake at dawn thinking about the station of the cross. We were chosen to be one of the stations, the 12th..... I don't have much experience in these things..... I do believe that some traditions passed on to us deserve to be relived if only for the chance to feel like it's part of being a family. On lenten season, we try as best as we can to infuse some old practices into our prayers and meditation.

As dawn gave in to sunlight, I quickly jumped out of bed. I asked my helpers to start early so we could prepare the altar for our station. Things sort of fell into place. Later that morning, my friend V..... called to ask if we want to go some place. Frankly, we were bored to death staying in the house. I told her we would like to but I have to attend to the our lenten activity first. V...seemed to have no problem with it..... so we agreed on a time she would come to the house.

Before lunch, hubby fixed the space outside our gate for the altar. I brought out a crucifix, 2 candle holders, and the 12th station picture frame. We put some plants beside the altar. Everything was done in accordance with the instructions of the members of the religious group in our community. V....... would arrived right after lunch. The devotees were supposed to be in the 12th station around 1:00pm.....

Hubby was kinda looking out for them. In a while, he said that the devotees were already in the adjacent street. I hurriedly lit the candles. V....... removed her car from my frontage. Hubby and V...... were already with me outside when the devotees arrived in our station. MD and MS joined. ED was probably in the bathroom. Prayers were said and at some point I read a portion...... under the intense heat of the afternoon sun. After prayers were said, the head of the religious group asked if there was someone who could carry the Cross.... I looked at hubby and there was an awkward moment. The religious group seemed to understand and they said it was ok. They left... everything was over in a breeze. Thank God. But I was uncomfortable about the last scenario. Hubby was not at ease as well. He said that they should have told in advance. They actually did and I told him. But they also told me that it was ok if there wouldn't be a volunteer from our household. Hubby probably banked on that......... tsk, tsk.....

Vangie, ED, MD, and I left for Tagaytay after the last of the devotees was out of sight. It was a nice leisurely drive...... traffic was sooooooooo light... V.... and I have an unwritten pact on driving. She drives in the day while I drive in the evening. We went to Bag of Beans..... and not surprisingly, it was bursting to the brim and people were still coming in droves. Everyone must be bored. The original plan was to order hot raisin bread with butter and jam and hot choco. But being surrounded by gastronomical delights proved too much for the four of us, we had to order pasta...... three kinds..... In keeping with the lenten season, we ordered pasta with seafoods and veggies sauce. The planned light snack turned into an early dinner. I was inviting V...... to have dinner in our home. She had to beg off this early........  After our unplanned dinner, we headed home.......

In the weekend, there were some irritants as the whole household adjusts to Mandy...... It's the first time we're having this kind of a set-up...... Probably, we don't know what to expect, how to react..... I am actually cool to the idea..... But I know some people in my household have some discomfort and I just would have to accept and address that..... I actually made a compromise ....... That we'll decide Mandy's fate once my main helper is back from her vacation. I had to stress the fact that options were limited for us at the moment....

On Easter Sunday, we went to mass. The day went quickly as everyone seem to gear up for the departure of Kakay, my main helper. The house was spruced up. There were some organization chores done.... I am not sure if Kakay actually brief our remaining helpers on the routine in the house. By evening, I was contemplating how it would turn out the next day when Kakay takes her break...... I am all stressed out just thinking about it........

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites