Thursday, April 1, 2010

March 15 - 22, 2010: Bruised

Things at the office continue to be same old, same old.... But we are to be surprised with a news of change of the big boss. So our good secretary is out as he was transferred to the Monetary Board. Secretary Jesli Lapus is taking the helm of our department. The rigodon was Malacanang's response to the decision of the Supreme Court to uphold its ruling that deems resigned all appointive officials running for the 2010 polls.

With barely two months to go before election when a new president along with an array of new officials will see a new day dawning, do we really need this change???!!! A change in the cabinet is a necessary aftershock after a new president is installed. After all, the new dispensation should be able to work with its executive branch for an easy transition. Frankly, I do not see rhyme or reason in the change of leadership in our department. But what the heck, let's get on with it. These bosses will come and go but we are here to stay.

There hardly was excitement in the air when the turnover happened. I began seeing uniformed police officers in our floor lobby when the new boss took over. I still see some of the old bodyguards of the old boss. So what happens to the people of the old boss?

Much of the activities this week focused on updating and charming the new boss with fancy reports and all sorts of ass-kissing. The dancers and the suckers came in full force with matching musical accompaniments and booze and a modest feast. The secretary's office was bustling with inert energy..... nothing much but hot air.

I still lead the double life..... public servant by day and a moonlighter by night...... works wonder all the time. When things are not as I expect it to be in one, the other compensates for it. I was glad to be walking my old familiar route that Friday evening.......

I woke up early Saturday morning to prepare myself for my usual share of chores. I looked for our boy helper and was told by my other helper that he and his wife slept at his mother's. Lately, he has been frequenting his mother's place apparently to help build up their home. Their old house was demolished by the owner of the place they are occupying. Recently, he asked permission to take extra work in their place in preparation for the birth if his child. We allowed him with the condition that work at our home is done before he leaves.

I did not like the fact that my boy helper and his wife took off without asking permission. I guess he is testing the limits of my patience. It was late and he and his wife were still no show. I took matters into my own hands. I asked MIL's new assistant to help me in feeding and cleaning up the dogs. I was preparing to do this when they entered the gate. He didn't come in, it was just his wife who entered the house. I was greeted with a disastrous news by his wife telling me that my boy helper quits. I instantly felt anger but tried to compose myself. I told his wife to call him. He reluctantly entered staying by the door. I asked him what's the matter. Without facing me, he said he quits. His reason was MIL's intrusion on the matter of his absence the night before. He resented being reprimanded. I tried telling him to wait for hubby who had a training out-of-town the day before and hasn't arrived yet. I also told him and his wife to at least feed the animals. His response was silence. He and his wife then went out of the house and stayed in the store room they occupied while they were with us. I did not bother insisting and I called hubby to tell him what happened. MIL's assistant and I tended to the dogs. Later, my other helper fed the birds. My boy helper and his wife stayed for sometime but when hubby came they were gone.

I was hopeful things would fall into place. Talking about it, we were actually relieve they are gone. They have been a load for us the past few months. I was the one who accepted them without seeking hubby's permission when they moved in with us late last year. My boy helper and his wife were having problems with her mother. Lately, I have been hearing loud complaints about them....getting louder and louder by the day. We were already talking about a possible replacement. I have been secretly scouting around. I have also told my other helper to look for a replacement when she takes a vacation to go to her province next month. But there is never a good opportunity to fire somebody. There are bound to be hurt feelings and bruised egos. It was good that the initiative to leave came from him. MIL's intrusion, gladly, was the stimulus.

It must be my lucky day. I chanced upon MIL and her other assistant talking about an errand in her room some hours later. I butted in..... telling her assistant my dilemma. She promised she'll look for a replacement.

Now that a replacement has not been found yet, I am in a bind. If I am not working, that should not be a problem. I always love tending to my dogs..... They are better that most people in my office. But then, I have to earn a living too. This occupied my mind the entire day. Still, I have to run to do my errands. We were out of dog food and I had to rush to the pet shop. My eldest pooch, Hershey, was following me as I got the key to my car. She knew when it was right to tag along. In the weekend, she is my constant travel companion for errands in nearby areas. On weekdays, she would just look at me as I make my way to the door probably thinking mummy is going to a boring place..... and she's right....

Hershey and I set out for the pet store. Inside the village, I would open the window because she loves looking outside sticking her head out. People are amused. But once outside, I would close the window. She would be uneasy and would pace the seat going to me. I would return her to her place reprimanding her. She does this all the time. Yet, I still would bring her all the time.

We got to the pet store and bought two packs of dog food. I was telling her we would buy their bananas on our way home. She and my other dogs love bananas. I would have to pass through another route to go to the banana vendor. Hershey was again uneasy and was all over the place. I had to restrict her as I was making a turn by the road's bend..... And then, I heard a slight tug.....oh, oh. I grazed a car park near the bend (why would he park it there, anyway??!!!) as I was making a turn and restricting Hershey... the bad thing is my insurance is lapsed.... The insurance company called home a week ago and my helper did not ask for a contact number. My car registration is due early next month. I was thinking, maybe the insurance can wait. I don't use my car everyday.

But it happened..... I have been in the situation before. I went down and look at the damage. It was just some scratches on the side of the other car. I did not bother looking into mine. As I was looking, I offered to have my insurance take care of it. I know it's lapsed but I just have to pay for it. The guy said it would take too long and he just borrowed the car from his aunt. I told him we can have it fixed tomorrow. He was insistent on having it fixed immediately. Being the guilty party, I have no recourse but to oblige. I told him I would just bring Hershey home and to just follow me. We reached home and unloaded the dog food and let Hershey in. MIL's assistant told me that the other assistant was inside the house with an applicant.

I went out to talk to the guy. He suggested buffing the grazed portion. Then , he said he would have to buy paint. I raised my brow thinking what does he want. Initially, he was asking for a thousand pesos. I told him that we should just have it canvassed and I'd take care of it. I requested we do it the following day because it's almost 5:00pm and the shops would be close when we get there. He finally relented after initially rejecting the idea.

I went inside to talk to the applicant brought by MIL's assistant. After an initial assessment, I told he to report the following morning. She can't stay with us because she has a baby. The arrangement was like that of my former boy helper. He would report in the morning and would go home early evening when the work is finished. I am just hoping that she would deliver.....

She reported to work the following day and I had to assist her initially. Then, I called on MIL's assistant to assist her. I was giving instructions all along. Later, hubby took over when it was the birds' turn. She even managed to clean up the entire place. I can't believe the volume of garbage she removed from the place....which goes to show how much our boy helper and his wife had been slacking off..... I heave a sigh of relief feeling lightness in the place afterwards. Our pets could breathe well too......

Having solve my problem, I was relaxing on my laptop, headset on, listening to good music, while doing other stuff on my last hours before I get back to the rat race. I would notice an ugly black and blue mark on my upper arm where the sleeve ends. I bruised myself in the weekend without realizing how.... ..The closest possible reason is my struggling with our lab as I was trying to get it out of the cage. It is hard to hide the nasty bruise in this weather when I would usually wear short-sleeves blouse or shirt.... It actually looks like the telltale sign of someone battered.... except that I am not. The person who can do that to me is yet to be born:)..... I have no idea how I got it......but I sure have some explaining to do....

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites