Sunday, November 22, 2009

Efren Penaflorida, a Filipino, is What a Hero is

At a restless time when the money, power, fame are the order of the day, Efren Penaflorida, CNN Hero of the Year, gives us, Filipinos,
something to be proud of. Despite his humble and tumultuous beginnings, he rose above the tough challenges he faced in a place where angels fear to tread. Born to tricycle driver Efren Sr. and housewife Lucila, Efren grew up near a dumpsite. Aside from poverty, he was exposed to the world of gangs. He was bullied and beaten by gang leaders and members who want him in their fold.

But he has clearly charted his path and chose to turn this painful experience into a valuable lesson that would guide him in chosen vocation. By the age of 16, he knew he had to do something to change his life and those around him. He refused to allow his circumstances define his future.

"Instead of being discouraged, I promised myself that I would pursue education," he recalls. "I will strive hard; I will do my best." Today, he offers Filipino youth an alternative to gang membership through education.

Together with some classmates, they started Dynamic Teen Companyto offer his classmates an outlet to lift up themselves and their community. Formed in 1997 in Cavite by Efren Peñaflorida, its mission then was to keep the youth away from trouble and vices. For Efren, that meant returning to the slums of his childhood to give kids the education he felt they deserved.

Dynamic Teen Company (DTC) is a group of concerned young people with a mission of making a small yet significant difference in other people’s lives, particularly the small children in slum areas who have no access to education, basic hygiene and sometimes, even love from their families. The group was founded in August 1997 by four teenagers from Cavite National High School. The initial group made up of around 20 members started as a friendship club which aimed to divert the attention of students from joining violent gangs and notorious fraternities that were thriving on the campus. Their major platform then was to cater youth awareness projects, talent and self development activities, and community services. Today, the group holds different activities to address these issues
.


For the past 12 years, Efren and his team of teen volunteers have taught basic reading and writing to children living on the streets. Their main tool: A pushcart classroom. Stocked with books, pens, tables and chairs, his Dynamic Teen Company recreates a school setting in unconventional locations such as the cemetery and municipal trash dump.

"They need education to be successful in life. It's just giving them what others gave to me," he says.

DTC volunteers inpire other children and teen because some of these volunteers were former gang members and drug addicts. Hopelessness could have easily snap the life out of them had they not been helped by DTC. I am not sure if it is just out of gratitude that these volunteers are paying it forward and giving what was given them, which is a chance to live a meaningful life, to other children and teens. I am inclined to believe, however, that extending a hand to help somebody, goes beyond gratitude.

"I always tell my volunteers that you are the change that you dream and I am the change that I dream. And collectively we are the change that this world needs to be."

Efren exudes the qualities of an everyday hero. His life would seem ordinary, but the tasks he undertakes are extraordinary earning the respect of his peers and even parents whom he helped in the past.

There was a time when he skipped a class to convince a peer to abandon his attempt to kill himself. He also stood up against an abusive teacher and brought the complaint to the City Schools Division Superintendent to protect his classmates.

Peñaflorida remembers standing up to a gang leader, refusing to join his gang. That confrontation proved fateful. It was to be the spark that would ignite the fire in his heart to do something that would make a difference in the lives of young people who have gone astray.

Today, children ranging from ages 2 to 14 flock to the pushcart every Saturday to learn reading, writing, arithmetic and English from Peñaflorida and his trained teen volunteers.

Through his group, Efren has successfully mentored former gang members, addicts and dropouts, seeing potential where others see problems. Since 1997, an estimated 10,000 members have helped teach more than 1,500 children living in the slums. The organization supports its efforts by making and selling crafts and collecting items to recycle.

Efren hopes to expand the pushcart to other areas, giving more children the chance to learn and stay out of gangs.

There are a few things that Efren can teach all of us....

That poverty is never an end to one's aspirations.
That a strong spirit defies all odds.
That education uplifts.
That the bad experiences can fuel the mind and the soul.
That greatness is not about money, fame, or fortune.
That everyone has it in them to become a hero.

The last one may not be in the mold of Efren's win in the CNN Heroes of the Year Award.

A little sidelight.........

Efren inspires everyone. There is no obstacle to a good spirit. I am put to shame by this guy. You see, I promised my helpers that I would teach them and my neighbor's helpers (if they are interested) basic computer skills some months ago. I have not delivered on that promise. First, because of my too many preoccupations. Second, my son broke the mouse of the PC in the study. His Dad has not replaced it as he wanted my son to be the one to replace it as a lesson. My son kept asking me to widraw money from his savings so he can buy a replacement. I told him to save money from his allowance. The replacement mouse was put on hold as a result.

I am surely going to give into my son's request and get money from his savings so we could buy the replacement. I am also going to ditch the old-worn out excuse of not having time to do something that would benefit the lot of people who have loyally served us all this time. Because of Efren's inspiration, I might extend my project just a little bit and propose a basic computer class for out-of-school youth and household helpers to our homeowners' association or baranggay. I would have to volunteer my time for this.

To Efren and your team of volunteers, mabuhay kayo at pagpalain lalo kayo sa mga kabutihang ginagawa niyo! May your flock increase a hundredfold!

Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it
...... Winston Churchill


Related posts:
Pushcart educator named CNN Hero of the Year
RP’s Efren Peñaflorida is 2009 CNN Hero of the Year
Efren Peñaflorida: An ordinary man doing extraordinary things
Lakandula award awaits CNN hero Peñaflorida

No comments:

Multiple Choice

Mom's Corner

Vote for my Blog

Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Vote for my Post

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Add this blog

Add to Technorati Favorites